I kind of regret my choice of buying SSD

freet

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
The only thing SSD is good for is, it seems, just booting up fast and booting apps fast. That's it! No other benefits it seems. I still have to update the RAM to hold multiple apps running, and web browsing is no faster. Fan is just as loud. HDD didn't make nose itself too much, it was almost always the fan noise that bothered me. I guess I'll need to buy more RAMs to calm the fan down.

I wish I just bought a 1TB internal drive instead. Could I refund the SSD? I bought it in Newegg. And it has not been a month since I bought it.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
You do know that is what ssds are designed to do right? Solid state hard drives are simply designed to basically eliminate the horrendous bottleneck that traditional mechanical hard drives present to today's vastly faster systems. Sounds to me like you put a high end ssd into a very low end system. I would advise you to keep the ssd and just upgrade the rest of your computer around it.

freet

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Oh yeah. That could be the answer as my MBP can only give the perfomance of SATA II even though the SSD is a III.
And yes I do have a slow internet connection. Anyway I guess SSD doesn't save that much time because how many times do you actually have to boot the system or boot the apps. And when you are booting you can still stay productive with your smart phone etc.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
it seems you had some unrealistic expectations of a SSD, freet.

the HDD is typically the biggest bottleneck on a vast majority of computers (and has been for last 10 years). a SSD alleviates this, it improves boot and loading and data transfer times, what more did you expect of it?

if you need more RAM, then buy more RAM not a SSD. if you need faster internet, then upgrade to faster ISP plan not a SSD. if you want a quieter fan, then buy a better fan (and fix airflow issues) not a SSD!

hint: buying "more RAMs to calm the fan down" won't work either.

There is a small performance hit when using a SATA III ssd with a motherboard that only supports SATA II. Normally you wouldn't notice the difference. You would have to use a benchmark to measure the difference.

What do you do with your computer? It sounds like you aren't using any applications that could benefit from an ssd.

You probably should have done more research!!!
An SSD is nothing More than a VERY Fast Hard drive. That means it speeds up reading and writing to the Drive - NOTHING else is speeded UP:
Programs will NOT run Faster, You will NOT see a Increase in Games FPS, Nor will it speed up a internet connection - Research BEFORE buying would have revealed this.

Sorry If I'm alttile Blunt, But - You Bought it, if returned it can NOT be resold as NEW and if I was Newegg I'd not except it as a return. Actions like this Jack the prices up for everyone else.

PS: Sata II will slow the performance down, But Not as big a hit as most think.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Everyone in here is correct! I have an ssd in my laptop, and it transformed it into a much faster machine! I love it. I have an ssd as my primarty drive in my tower. I wil NEVER go back to a hdd again, except for data storage. I think retired chief and Brandon were most correct here. You didn't have a realistic idea of what an SSD was for or what it would do for you. As the chief said, if you had done some research or if you had at least asked a few questions, you could have prevented this. And, as Brandon said, you fix slow internet speed by getting faster internet service, and you fix noisy fans by getting better fans, etc, etc....... Bottom line here is you are placing the blame for some of you computer issues on the wrong hardwre. Placing that ssd, in that system, had to have increased your read/write and boot up speeds by a huge factor. That ssd is doing it's job just fine. And, speaking from experience with New Egg.....They are great! But, they are going to test that ssd when you return it. If they find nothing wrong with it, they will return it to you and you will not get a refund. And, it would be the right thing for them to do. It would be better, if you really don't want to keep it, to just sell it to a friend or sell in on Ebay or somewhere. It will sell fast! Best of luck to you!

^ Great Idea, For Him to resell it Himself. My even get close to 75% retail as it's only a month old.

There is only on drawback to SSDs and that is $$$/Gig.
Some may disaggree, But a 2nd advantage of SSDs is reliability over HDDs. I have 12 SSDs (one dating back to the Intel G1 days) and jet to have a failure. Over that same time I've had 3 HDDs die (Two my own fault).
Compare Newegg 1 & two ratings for the two Most recommended HDDs; the WD Black, and the Samsung F3 to the Samsung 830 and the curcial M4. SSDs win that by about a 2 to 1 ratio.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
"I guess I'll need to buy more RAMs to calm the fan down. "

Can you please give some insight into your thinking here? Why do you believe that buying more "RAMs" will quiet your fans down?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
po1nted is right. More ram has nothing to do with that. tell us, what fans do you have? Are they connected to the mbod so the bios can control fan spped based on temps? Or, are they plugged into psu so they just fun full speed? What are you expecting? why?

freet

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

The fans become loud when I start running many applications.

More than likely you have a cpu heatsink fan and possibly case fans plugged into your motherboard. The motherboard's System BIOS is probably set to control the speed of the fans. As temperatures increase the speed of the fans increase.

You might also have a video card with a fan and a power supply with a fan that behave similarly.

When you open and use multiple applications the cpu and gpu temperatures are probably increasing which cause the fans to speed up.