Sign in with
Your question

Processor Info / New Build

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 8:38:08 PM

Hello guys and girls, My girlfriends computer that i built two years ago is acting quite funny so she wants a new one >.>

So before i go out and purchase one this is what she has now

Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Heatsink:Stock
Ram:Corsair 1024MBx2 DDR2 PC2-6400
Graphics:EVGA Geforce 9800GT Super Clocked Ed.
MotherBoard:ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Only games she plays is WoW @ Full settings >.> And if that runs sketchy some times she wigs.

So i'm heading to the store in a bit, Searching google shows up that the Q8200 out preforms a majority of the AMD Phenoms..

My main question is. Should i just go out buy a new Mobo, Graphics Card, And a better heatsink and just OC The Q8200 and be on my way?

Or go with the Whole Phenom, The Q8200 is only 6 months old changed it when i won a contest at the local store im going 2.

Thanks again,

More about : processor info build

May 19, 2010 8:43:56 PM

You could try just fixing the current PC. What's the issue with it?
May 19, 2010 8:48:03 PM

Oh, man ... I think you are jumping the gun, here.

Reseat all your cards and RAM and wipe and reload your HDD before you go bonkers!

... And before you do all that, there are prolly some even less drastic measures that should be attempted.

= just a first quip =
Related resources
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 8:48:32 PM

banthracis said:
You could try just fixing the current PC. What's the issue with it?

Computer Randomly Locks up when you bump it a little or just sometimes LOCKS up....

Also in WoW the Picture will randomly become distorted and reopening WoW will fix it here is a pic

http://i43.tinypic.com/f00u44.jpg

I did a memtest came back fine, I was thinking if it was the Graphics card it would of distorted the whole screen, Maybe i'll just upgrade the graphics card and do a fresh install?

May 19, 2010 8:49:40 PM

^+1... banthracis

You need to try and find out the issue because a new MOBO, GPU might not solve the issue if it is RAM or PSU related (for example).
May 19, 2010 8:51:59 PM

Check temps while you're looking around. Could certainly be ram or gpu.

Blood Elf Pally?
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 8:53:12 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Oh, man ... I think you are jumping the gun, here.

Reseat all your cards and RAM and wipe and reload your HDD before you go bonkers!

... And before you do all that, there are prolly some even less drastic measures that should be attempted.

= just a first quip =

Think im just going to go out and get her a new Case and Graphics card, Reinstall with Windows 7 and see how she runs. She needs a new case anyhow.

tecmo34 said:
^+1... banthracis

You need to try and find out the issue because a new MOBO, GPU might not solve the issue if it is RAM or PSU related (for example).

Yeah, Think i will just change case's and get her a new graphics card then reinstall Windows with new Windows 7 THEN, Wait to see if it happens again......

Think that sounds like a better and cheaper plan.....

Man girls are expensive :love: 

Sound better guys?
May 19, 2010 8:55:27 PM

Don't know if it'll solve anything but if it makes the Lady happy!! It is all that matters!! As a unhappy lady, makes for an unhappy / lonely man!!
Anonymous
May 19, 2010 8:57:17 PM

fastx21 said:
Check temps while you're looking around. Could certainly be ram or gpu.

Blood Elf Pally?

Close, Blood Elf Hunter.
May 19, 2010 9:22:03 PM

Yeah, Think i will just change case's and get her a new graphics card then reinstall Windows with new Windows 7 THEN, Wait to see if it happens again......

********** END QUOTE *************

Well .. I'll give you $25 for the 9800, sight-unseen/as-is ...

First, with some deference to my compadres, there is nothing in your spec that is not up to the task of her needs AND (more importantly) ... betcha your lunch money ... there ain't nothing wrong with any of your hw components that a good, thourough, shake-down would not cure (COM-pletely).

Consider this (because I KNOW) ...

1) Any (purely) non-mechanical component that survives the first 90 days will last at least 5 years and maybe for 20, if it has proper power and cooling. (except CRTs).

2) Connections can (and do) vibrate loose (just sitting there) and, every time your GF moves the case (even just to dust), things get slightly more loose.

3) Oxidation (mild/microscopic "rusting") will degrade your original (good) connections, over time.
[ Reseating/re-connecting usually rubs the connection clean ... we have also used #2 pencil erasers, on card-pins, to clean them up (but DON'T)]

4) OS and App/Game updates can effect various driver versions/functions, sometimes requiring a co-dependent driver update.

5) Viruses ... Drive/file corruption ... accidental deletions, etc. ... can effect.

6) YOU SAID ... "Bumping the Case Causes... " ... A clear indicator of a sporadic/intermittent connection (problem).

But YES ... By all means ! ... This is a wonderful time and a good opportunity to install Win7-64 and a better GPU wouldn't hurt a darned thing.

In the process of swapping cases, be certain to also reseat all RAM modules firmly.

Check that the CPU is firmly/snugly "intact" but DO NOT attempt to remove or reseat the CPU/COOLER unless you notice a problem.

Do remove and re-connect ALL cards, RAM, power and data and signal cables and wires, etc., if you decide to do an upgrade, rebuild.
(AND, EVEN IF YOU DON'T)

You can show her what a stud you are and she can give you a big reward ... and ... a very fun date ... quality time, ... opining with authority!

... I'm just bustin' your chops ... I cannot afford a GF (on so many levels).

= Go for it ... Merry xMas ! =
May 19, 2010 10:37:56 PM

As everyone else says, play around and find the problem. My wifes computer started randomly crashing, had big fears the HDD was dying. Opened up the computer, turned out a fat wad of dust had managed to get itself wedged between where the SATA cable connected to the HDD which was causing the connection to sometimes 'break'. With that cleaned off it works perfectly again.
So, yeah, like everyone says, open up, clean out and reseat.
May 19, 2010 10:57:43 PM

90%+ Chance ... GPU slot connector or GPU power

Otherwise ... RAM slot connection.

Completely pull the 9800 out of it's slot and remove the power connector ... Waive it three times, over your head, Place it firmly back, in the slot and re-connect (different?) pwr connector .... Fire it UP !

... Otherwise ... remove each RAM module (don't just push down) ... RE-insert each RAM module ... and .... Fire it UP !

Go to nVidia's official site and update your drivers ....

YOU ARE NOW FIXED

= Tah-Dah =
May 20, 2010 12:48:56 AM

Alvin's list is a good one; there's not much if anything to add that wouldn't be self-evident as you examine the case. If there is a lot of dust, use a pressurized duster, not a vacuum cleaner, to remove it. Typical household vacuum cleaners can create a lot of static from the friction of dust on their hose walls.
!