Dead NVIDIA GeForce GT120 Video Card on Gateway LX6810 Computer - Replacement Op

Hello,

I'm a complete and utter novice to computers, so I'm here for the advice of the more knowledgeable.

I bought the infamous Gateway LX6810 computer from Best Buy a bit over a year ago (major design flaw in regards to air-flow/cooling, and the graphics card died on me. It's this:


NVIDIA GeForce GT120


... as it turns out, they don't produce those anymore! Nuts. I need a video card that gives more or less the same performance, and like anyone I would prefer to not spend an exorbitant amount of cash on it.

Can I find anything comparable for $100 or less?

I prefer to buy from Newegg.com, can someone please post links from Newegg.com that have the appropriate video cards (that are compatible with my Gateway LX6810 computer)?

I would still be open to links from other online retailers as well.

Thanks in advance!
25 answers Last reply
More about dead nvidia geforce gt120 video card gateway lx6810 computer replacement
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%20106793264&name=GeForce%20G%2fGT%20series there are GT210, GT220 and GT240 the higher the number the better. I believe the 120 ~220
  2. rolli59, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

    I just noticed that a lot of those video cards are 512MB - what about 1GB video cards? How much of a difference does it make, really? I do play some games, but I'm not a hardcore gamer. I would be more concerned about having good screen quality while watching movies or doing work with image editing (Adobe software).

    Another thing: which brand do you recommend? There are so many to choose from. Any you can vouch for?


    Again, I'm much obliged!

    - jy90274
  3. This might be a solid choice it is GT240 (better than 120) good recognized brand EVGA. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130529
  4. Awesome! Nice rebate, too. I'll just wait for a few more opinions over the next 24 hours, then make my decision. Thank you, sir.
  5. Seeing that your power supply is 400watt http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668232.php you could go to an even better card if you so desire. ATI has a very good card in HD5670 for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161319
  6. I'm not sure about that one, because one of the reviews on that page talks about the video card running hot.

    The Gateway LX6810 itself has HORRIBLE airflow/cooling issues which cause the computer to automatically shut down. I've had to buy and jury-rig a case fan which I bought to fix that problem... I think that having a video card that runs hot will only exacerbate my main issue - because I'm guessing that insufficient cooling is what caused my video card to fry to begin with.
  7. Here is a link to a review on HD5570 they compare it to HD5670,GT240 amongst other cards. This is the page with power draw and temperature. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5570,2552-12.html Based on what you said above maybe HD5570 is the right card for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106793261+1067955283+1068409614&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
  8. I see. Which of those HD5570 cards can you recommend from that last link?

    From that short list, this seems like the best in terms of cost.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814131341


    I've also never installed a video card before. Are there any online tutorials/videos that show me how to do this? I will probably make my purchase tonight after reading this thread.

    Many thanks,

    jy90274
  9. Installing a video card is very simple, all you do is pop it into the PCIe slot.

    If your having trouble distinguishing which slot that is, find out what motherboard you have and google it's manual.

    Good luck to you!
  10. jy90274 said:
    I see. Which of those HD5570 cards can you recommend from that last link?

    From that short list, this seems like the best in terms of cost.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814131341


    I've also never installed a video card before. Are there any online tutorials/videos that show me how to do this? I will probably make my purchase tonight after reading this thread.

    Many thanks,

    jy90274

    Cost wise is a good way to choose a card the Powercolor card is as good as any.
  11. amk09 said:
    Installing a video card is very simple, all you do is pop it into the PCIe slot.

    If your having trouble distinguishing which slot that is, find out what motherboard you have and google it's manual.

    Good luck to you!



    Thanks amk09. I guess physically pushing in the card into the slot won't be such a complicated task, but after I do that and turn the computer on, then what? Will it boot up, just the way it did when the CPU was fresh out of the box? Or do I have to do something else?
  12. You will have to uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones.
  13. Oh boy... =)

    Like I said before I'm a computer novice so I'm at a loss as how to do that. How do you uninstall the old driver and install the new driver?
  14. Reading back through your thread You say that your gt120 card is broken. It does not work correct?
    Normally changing (upgrading a GPU) you go into my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and remove the old GPU (this will delete the drivers) then you shut down and physically replace the card. On start up windows generic VGA driver runs the card until you install the drivers for the new card.
  15. Yes, it (my GT120 video card) does not work.

    But I can't do what you just said (first turning on my CPU and going to "computer/properties/hardware/device manager" to delete my old drivers) because my screen is BLANK.

    Why? Because my video card does not function, so I don't get an image on my screen.
  16. I just thought about that! If you replace your card with a nvidia card everything is a lot simpler, you replace the card start up the computer and it will run and you can update drivers. If you put in an ATI card there is no guaranty that it will even start since it will be looking for a nvidia card. It is though a possibility that it would, running the card on win VGA driver.
  17. rolli59 said:
    I just thought about that! If you replace your card with a nvidia card everything is a lot simpler, you replace the card start up the computer and it will run and you can update drivers. If you put in an ATI card there is no guaranty that it will even start since it will be looking for a nvidia card. It is though a possibility that it would, running the card on win VGA driver.


    By the highlighted part above, do you mean the very same GT120 NVIDIA video card?

    I would, but it's been discontinued.

    Is there a way around this problem? I'm in a Catch-22 here: I can't install a new video card until I uninstall my old drive on my computer, but then I can't see the computer screen (b/c the computer screen is blank due to a dead video card) so I can't do that!
  18. No, all newer nvidia card's (they all use the same drivers) would run up on those drivers. The problem can only happen with a new ATI card.
  19. Ah... then could you help me find a Newegg.com link with a list of suitable ($100 or less, 1GB, cool/low-temperature running) NVIDIA video cards? LOL. I'm much obliged.

    Just to confirm: if I buy and physically install an NVIDIA card, then I will not have to delete/install video drivers. Is this correct?
  20. GT240 1gb GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127483
    After install you should update drivers, here is a link to nvidia driver page http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
  21. Hi. did this work for you, i have a lx also and was wondering if this a better way to go then the stock gpu. Does it run cooler?? Mine idling is 67c.
  22. rolli59 said:
    GT240 1gb GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127483
    After install you should update drivers, here is a link to nvidia driver page http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us



    Thank you very much.

    But you're gonna have to break that down into 'newbie-talk' for me, since I don't know what it actually entails.

    If I understood you correctly:


    I buy and physically install the NVIDIA video card in that link.

    Then I switch on the computer, and I will be able to 'see' on my CPU monitor.

    If so, I then go to my "computer/properties/hardware/device manager" and then 'update' the driver, which I'm assuming means, "delete the old driver, then download and install the new driver from the NVIDIA homepage".


    ^ Did I understand all of it correctly?
  23. jy90274 said:
    Thank you very much.

    But you're gonna have to break that down into 'newbie-talk' for me, since I don't know what it actually entails.

    If I understood you correctly:


    I buy and physically install the NVIDIA video card in that link.

    Then I switch on the computer, and I will be able to 'see' on my CPU monitor.

    If so, I then go to my "computer/properties/hardware/device manager" and then 'update' the driver, which I'm assuming means, "delete the old driver, then download and install the new driver from the NVIDIA homepage".


    ^ Did I understand all of it correctly?



    Yes, Follow those steps and you'll be on your way to a new and improved system.

    And if you have any further questions regarding the installation of the card I'm sure you can just google how to install a graphics card/locating the PCIe x16 lane on your motherboard...and if your still having trouble we'd be more than happy to walk you through it, it's pretty simple really.
  24. ^+1 Good luck!
  25. Thank you so much for your help, everyone. Will report back.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gateway Computer Graphics Product