Cannot Resume from Standby After Installing video card !

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
PC was working fine prior to this.

I replaced a 7900gs with a new ASUS EAH 5670 1GB PCI E.
I replaced PSU to a 400w. (previous was 285w).

Things work fine...but when I put PC on standby...it will not resume!

I can hear the CPU fans kick on and the power light on my desktop comes on as it's supposed to....but blank monitors !
(check for signal msg).

I tried to update the drivers to the latest by installing catalyst 10.3 pkg...but that didn't solve problem.

I rolled back the driver to the one provided by ASUS in the CD that came with the 5670 card....card works fine..but still...no resume from standby.

Should I try manually updating the card driver itself to a version older than 10.3?

Any other ideas?

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
i ONLY have this problem when resuming from STAND BY...no problems during gaming.

OK - Today, I installed CCC 10.3 from ATI, including ATI driver 8.72xx.

Now, when I try to recover from standby, I get the following error:

Yellow Screen - " BAD POOL HEADER"

Also, I get an error yesterday when resuming from stand by: "PFN LIST CORRUPT"

So - this is definitely an O/S problem? IF so, I will go ahead and perform a CLEAN install of WIN XP... but, just want to be sure...

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

I want to put the computer into standby mode... I am on and off the computer throughout the day...and don't want to turn on/off every 30 minutes

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Update:

Got another BOSD with this error message:

"problem seems to be caused by following file: ati2mag.sys

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

bla bla bla
etc "

Is this still an O/S issue or ATI driver issue with the new card I just installed?

That is a driver issue and an ATI one. There have been some reports of incompatibility between HD5xxx cards and some older motherboards with PCIe 1.0. Some mobo manufacturers have solved that with a BIOS update. Just wondering whether you are experiencing a version of that.

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Whom should I contact for tech support on this matter? ASUS or ATI ?

I'm assuming I would contact ASUS for RMA since it's an ASUS product?

But, contact ATI support for driver errors?

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

I got the latest driver from ATI....10.3 catalyst pkg. Still, I'm getting BOSD when resuming from stand by.

When I install the driver from the ASUS CD that came with card.... I still get BOSD when resuming from standby.

Also - I removed the asus card and my PC resumes from standby without card installed. When I put the card back in....it gives me BOSD again from standby.

So....definitely something to do with the card... not sure what else to try.

I will attempt reinstall of OS....but that is going to be the last option.

tater86

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I had a similar problem with my system. Windows 7 64 professional and catalyst 1.3. I think it was caused by an update to adobe acrobat. No idea why. I uninstalled acrobat completely, and the problem went away

I installed the adobe update late on the 17th, and when I woke up on the 18th my computer wouldn't.

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I may go ahead and do a clean install of the O/S .... do you guys think that would be a good idea?

Obviously, I'd rather no deal with the headache of re-installing the O/S IF there is a more efficient method to resolve the issue

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Question:

I've gotten 5 different BOSD errors on this issue.

Could this be related to a Power issue?

I did install a new 400w PSU along with this video card. Maybe the PSU is bad?

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Standby was working fine prior to installing video card. So, I'm not sure if RAM could all of a sudden be the culprit?

But, I have not tested ram.... how do i test ram?

TRENDING THREADS