Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot unless clear CMOS every time, not battery

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2011 2:54:41 AM

First I'll post some specs.

Asus M4A79 Deluxe MoBo (with lates BIOS from asus.com)
AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0GHz cpu
4GB RAM (one stick)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670

I am posting this from the PC in question. Was bored a couple days ago and was messing with some clock settings in the BIOS, upping one thing at a time in small increments, when I hit a setting that was unstable I would reset PC, and it would set it back to default clock settings. Well after a couple of failed attempts I just decided to give it a rest, set everything to the last config I had that worked. Once I did I hit save and exit, pc shut down, came back on, fans spun, dvd and hdd drives both powered up, but never sent a signal to the monitor, never when into BIOS Post. Pulled the side of my case off, shut down PC and switched the CMOS clear jumper, turned it back on and it booted up. Obviously it gave me the option to load default settings with F2 or go into BIOS settings with F1. I hit F1 and put the settings back to how they were once again (keep in mind the settings were what I've been using for the past 2 years). Hit save and exit, and the same thing, powered off, fans came on, but no Post. Cleared the CMOS with jumper yet again, powered up. Decided to hit F1 again and just load the BIOS default settings, hit save and exit. Yet again, fans on, no Post. Cleared CMOS, hit F2 and windows booted up just fine. Searched around for a while, found that it could be a bad CMOS battery, bought a new one, same thing. Tested the new one, it tested fine. Searched for the latest BIOS update from ASUS, downloaded it and flashed it. Everything went well, but still the same problem. Got into BIOS and checked the BIOS version and it's the one I flashed to it. Thought it could be a glitch in the memory so I ran Memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com for 6 hours while I watched the super bowl, (go green bay). Anyways, no errors everything went great.

I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 12:02:39 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

YEAH GB!!! Assuming the CMOS battery is indeed 'good' - a couple possibilities come to mind:
1. Corrupted BIOS - Clear CMOS via 'JUMPER' method; failure = Re-Flash BIOS
2. Conflicting ASUS Utilities installed - Uninstall ALL ASUS Utilities
3. Above fails - Possible bad PSU; try different PSU.
4. Above fails - Possible bad MOBO :( 
m
l
February 7, 2011 10:45:54 PM

Good to be here, and thanks for the reply!

I've uninstalled all of the ASUS Utilities, still having the issue. I will have to try re-flashing the BIOS, and see if that helps at all.
Borrowed my girl friends computer for the day, shes mad...oh well, and swapped in her PSU, still have the same issue, and hers is actually a bit stronger than mine. Would it be possible its a bad MOBO? Since I'm using it now, played COD: Black Ops on it last night, and everything works fine, except the initial boot process.

I'm going to tear it down in about 5 mins, and rebuild everything, cleaning all connections, checking to make sure everything is plugged in securely, and I bought another pack of CR2032 batteries from Radioshack for the CMOS to try, just in case lol. It's not a huge deal if I can't get this to work, cause I'm setting up a shopping list for my new rebuild, but I won't get it done for a couple months, and I sure hate being required to clear CMOS every time I turn on my PC. I'll try some different hardware configs too, just bare bones minimum to start out with and see if it boots up, and try using a different slot for the RAM. I'll post back once I've done everything above, and let you know of the outcome.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 11:06:57 PM

I think that you have a problem with some setting in your BIOS and that you do not have a hardware fault. As to which setting it is I have no idea but I would start by trying different memory settings.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 7, 2011 11:21:53 PM

If you're getting into the OS then run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic and restart; if corrected then you've got a conflict or something screwing with the BIOS, but it normally doesn't act as you've described.

The Utilities or any BIOS invading App can cause all sorts of odd behavior as described.

Also, if you changed your SATA from IDE-> AHCI or visa versa then http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 this can mess with stored settings.

Also, a short -> {lazy-man's breadboard}: unscrew all of the MOBO stand-off screws, and the PCIe screws, move away from any contact with the case {incl I/O shield} and dangle on a towel. Fix = short. Also, if a peripheral i.e. USB cable has a short same thing.

Lastly, try your girlfriends GPU.

All of the above are easy. The PSU is the biggest pain, but necessary.
m
l
February 8, 2011 4:26:18 AM

Thanks for replies guys. Yea I can get into OS if I switch the jumper for the CMOS every time I start up PC. I just got done tearing everything down, cleaning and starting with bare bones. Needless to say, it still did it with just the HDD, 1 stick of RAM, and the GPU. I haven't made any hardware changes at all, including different SATA/Molex cables, only changes I made before this issue surfaced were to the clock settings. Since then the BIOS should be running on the default settings, and shouldn't have any problems...but it does. Only other change I made was updating the BIOS after this happened, hoping it would solve the issue. I really don't think I messed with the SATA/IDE/AHCI settings at all, but I will run the fix anyways just to be sure. If that doesn't help, then I'll run the msconfig diagnostic. Really thanks for the replies guys and trying to help get this fixed.

@pjmelect - I can't change any settings in the BIOS, if I save and exit, the comp restarts and won't come back on unless I clear the CMOS via jumper, which in turn erases all settings I just changed. Only way into OS is to hit F2 to load system defaults and then it will boot up the OS.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 8, 2011 1:10:01 PM

Another suggestion, is to try 1 stick of RAM. I've seen a few of these and 8/10 it's a corrupted BIOS, and the remaining is a Utility or Short. Flashing the BIOS again wouldn't be a bad idea. Use the ASUS EZ Flash 2 method.
m
l
February 8, 2011 3:50:44 PM

iamboomer2 said:
Thanks for replies guys. Yea I can get into OS if I switch the jumper for the CMOS every time I start up PC. I just got done tearing everything down, cleaning and starting with bare bones. Needless to say, it still did it with just the HDD, 1 stick of RAM, and the GPU.

I'd go one minimalist step further and try booting without the HDD, leaving only CPU/GPU/RAM. If it posts then enter setup and try changing something, saving, rebooting- and see if the BIOS retains the settings.

If it won't- it wouldn't be the first time someone fried a motherboard attempting to OC. It does happen.

If it DOES retain the settings without the HDD mounted, then you may be forced to do a new op sys install.
m
l
February 9, 2011 1:31:29 AM

Ok, so I left my computer on during the day while I was at work, got home and it was off. Cleared the CMOS with jumper and it booted up, when windows booted up, this error was on the screen.

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF8800490A817
BCP3: FFFFF88007A9A900
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

It also had to local links to dump files, one a .dmp and the other a .xml. Can't get the .dmp open, but the .xml is just loaded up with different devices and drivers, doesn't say much. Evidentally, it went blue screen sometime during the day, and shut itself down. I will definitely try re-flashing the bios. Might try going with the second latest release they have on Asus.com. I tried booting up in diagnostic, still didn't POST until I switched the Jumper first. I only have one stick of RAM, so I have no option but to use only 1 lol, I've tried putting it in a different slot, didn't help. I will try booting up without the HDD plugged in. I mean is it really likely that the MOBO is fried? Even though it runs just fine while I'm using it. I'm pretty sure the blue screen had something to do with the computer entering sleep mode, I adjusted the power settings to keep everything on all the time and will have to see if it does it again tomorrow or over night.

EDIT: I just had a thought, is there some type of overclocking program that gives you access to the same settings as in the BIOS? Voltage and everything. Something like AMD Overdrive maybe, possibly use that to see what the settings are at. I can't get AMD Overdrive to open, haven't been able to since I first build my PC 2 years ago, updated the BIOS about a year ago and since it's stopped working, think they dropped support for it or something, it just crashes with the error AOD.exe has stopped working blah blah blah.

EDIT 2: Tried booting with no HDD, didn't POST, cleared CMOS, changed a few things in the BIOS, just the wait for F1 on POST. Restarted, never POST'd. I downloaded PC Probe 2 from Asus.com, lets just say my MOBO is one hot mother. Thing is, I can't seem to find a single hot spot on the surface of the MOBO, every spot I can reach to touch is all running cooler than my entire GPU card. I'm left with assuming its the MOBO causing the issues, looks like I will be getting this new PC build done a little sooner than I expected.
m
l
February 9, 2011 2:20:11 AM

Yeah, the MB should post without HDD, and leave you with a "no opsys found" or "no boot disk found" type message. You'd probably luck out if flashing it cured the problem. It likely won't. A component on the board probably got stressed a little too far. But then you DID know that was a possibility when you were changing numbers in the bios... right? Sorry dude. :( 
m
l
February 9, 2011 2:27:22 AM

studioman22 said:
Yeah, the MB should post without HDD, and leave you with a "no opsys found" or "no boot disk found" type message. You'd probably luck out if flashing it cured the problem. It likely won't. A component on the board probably got stressed a little too far. But then you DID know that was a possibility when you were changing numbers in the bios... right? Sorry dude. :( 

Yea I knew that, only numbers I changed were the FSB Frequency, never went higher than 236, which sent it to unstable. Always ran it on 215 though, and the PCIe Frequency which never went over 110, normally was on default at 100. Series of events just seems odd that it fried my MOBO. Tried a setting that didn't work, restarted the comp, booted up just fine. Decided to give it a rest and loaded up the sames settings I've been using for the last 2 years with no issues from the ASUS Overclock Profiles manager and that's what caused the issue to start. Settings that I know are within the boundaries. I've got a few things left to try. I'll post an update once I do.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 9, 2011 11:55:36 AM

Don't use an App to OC, do it in the BIOS yourself. It's very easy and easier to diagnose a problem. The MOBO Utilities do more harm than good, and frequently are the root of many BSOD/Unstable systems.

That BSOD is a bad driver, and more than likely your GPU. In addition, run System File Checker -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Keep in mind if you're OC'ing either your CPU/RAM/GPU this too can be the root of the problem(s). I noticed an inordinate number of BIOS versions and 'fixes' so yes I would try the latest BIOS version. In general once I have a stable rig, I don't upgrade my BIOS unless I'm having a problem that's BIOS related; newer doesn't always mean better in BIOS.
m
l
April 9, 2011 7:53:25 AM

Did you ever figure out the problem? I almost have the same issue. Mine started when I plugged a flash drive into the front usb port and the pc powered off. (happened a few times before) This time only the fans would come on and rev up and down over and over every 5 sec. So I reset the cmos and got it to post. I set all my settings as I had them for the past year and it booted to Windows fine. If I power the machine down I have to reset the cmos to get it to boot again. If I just reset the machine it boots fine. I've not shut it down in over a month and it runs like a top, encoding videos, games, you name it. (all mildly overclocked)

I've replaced the battery, removed and tried different ram and slots, unplugged all usb headers, no hdd/dvd, diff. gpu, memtest86+, reflashed bios, and tried all safe or default bios settings. The only thing I did not change out yet was the psu. I've tested the voltages and they're all good and stable. I have not had access to a decent one.

Driving me crazy!

Specs:
AMD X4 940 BE @3.2ghz 1.325v only upped the multi
Kingston HyperX pc8500 DDR2 1066/5-5-5-18 @2.2v
ECS 780GM-A Ultra AM2+
EVGA GTS 250
Rosewill 630w Green PSU
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2011 9:37:56 AM

Smiggyg you should really start a new thread with your problem; however in your case I would strongly suspect the power supply. Substitution is the only reliable test.
Have you tried instead of resetting the CMOS memory just waiting a half an hour or so with the computer turned on?
m
l
April 9, 2011 11:11:37 PM

Thanks, you're right I probably should have started a new thread. I wasn't sure. Some forums don't like the same type of question over and over while others rather you start a new thread. It was my 1st post so I did not want to p.o. anyone.

I have tried leaving it sit and it still does the same thing until I reset the cmos. I agree, I really need to try another psu. It's the only thing I have not tried. (probably should have been one of the 1st things I know.) I just don't have another psu with the 8pin for the mobo. Only the 4pin. Will that work with my board as long as I don't enable ACC or overclock it in anyway?

Thanks again!
m
l
October 27, 2011 12:28:25 AM

I have this same problem.. and also an m4a ASUS board. Maybe there's a similarity?

I'll start my own thread.

I'd consider myself a 7.5/10 in regards to tech experience with PCs - building since 13 and now 25. I can't find anything on google about this one...
Specs: Corsair XMS3 8gb 4x2 ddr3 1600 9-9-9
AMD x3 720 BE - (usually OC'd @ 3.6ghz.. @ stock for troubleshooting)
ZALMAN CNPS 9900A heatsink
ASUS ATI 6870 (received RMA thinking it was the video card.. same problem)
ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
hec XPOWER780 600W(780W Peak) ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Power Supply
2x Samsung f3 500gb RAID,0 (Main OS)
1x Samsung F4 2tb sata (unplugged for troubleshooting)
1x Hitachi 1gb sata (unplugged for troubleshooting)
2x Externals (unplugged for troubleshooting)
Steps/Problems:
Notice green sprites at random times in video feed to desktop.
Resocket of HDMI/restart. No more Sprites
Random times one of my (2) monitors would not post.
Resocket Vid Card/RAM/CPU (Bent a couple pins but straightened then with razorblade. Worked for a day.
No more video. Reboot. Repeat.
Resocket video card few more times. Nothing.
RMA Video Card.
PART 2:
Install replacement vid card.
No video output to either monitor.
RMA Video card
Reset CMOS/BIOS jumper
Boots to BIOS where changes can be made.
Attempt to restore optimal settings. Save Settings/Reboot
Reboot.
No video/monitor response after 5-10 mins
Reset jumper again.
Boots to BIOS.
Attempt to use factory default settings. Save.
Reboot.
No video/monitor response after 5-10 mins
Remove usb devices except keyboard.
Remove hard drive connections except main OS
Reset CMOS/BIOS jumper
Resocket CPU/Video Card/RAM/ATX Power Connections/SATA connections/MOBO PWR/Reset Connectors/CMOS Battery
Boots to BIOS
Make NO changes. Save
Reboot.
No video/monitor response after 5-10 mins.

.. back to square 1

Thoughts? I'm thinking it's a bad PCI-E Socket. A Bad CPU wouldn't post/detect in bios, would it??
m
l
November 2, 2011 3:46:24 PM

There is something you can try. Some bios types really hate major changes to the configuration when the OpSys fails to see changes in step with the user settings. This is particularly acute with a loss of the bios timeclock. As a note - when you're resetting the cmos manually by moving a jumper be sure to replace the jumper into the normal run position before rebooting. This is often overlooked "under the gun" of solving issues.

This type of problem does suggest some type of issue with power regulation across a set or subset of board components.. but.. you might want to try this first, in case its just an issue with a corrupt process held with a power state causing the instability.

Since you were trying various settings in the bios:

Remove all power from the system completely first:
1) A/C removed.
2) 24 pin main power supply removed from the board physically.
2a) All 12v rails (video & board) disconnected physically.
3) Bios battery removed
4) Cmos jumper in proper running position.

Next, Disconnect all drive and other attached devices EXCEPT, a CD Rom. Make it the only device the system can see.
NO USB devices, NO LAN, NO any device add ons. If you have other cards in the PCI bus. Remove those too.

Allow this to sit this way for around 15 mins or so to more completely drain all board caps of residual power.

- Replace the cmos battery and wait about a minute.
- Begin with the power connections for the mainboard & video, and only the CD Rom as the single device.

Next have your opsys CD ready to put into the cd-rom.

- Boot the system. Ignore any bios messages but do note them. If no specific errors are generated, then enter the bios and select defaults.
- Set the timeclock ONLY -- Important. Now FORCE a power off by holding the power button until it shuts down.
- Reboot the system and enter the bios. Did it keep the timeclock setting? If so, exit the bios and allow it to boot to the cd rom.
- Insert the opsys CD when prompted. If it runs up on CD and tries to error for missing storage device, then you can/have recovered the board.
- Next power down and add the Boot HD. At worse it says it corrupted. At best it boots cleanly into the opsys.
- Power off and restore the devices one at time, rebooting in between each attached device until complete.

If you see or have issues other than those noted, then I would replace the mainboard. I would see that as sign of a intermittant board problem.

Good Luck!
m
l
June 22, 2012 4:09:38 PM

TOPIC: MOTHERBOARD BOOT PROBLEM, RESET CMOS REQUIRED [SOLVED]
SUB TOPIC: WIRELESS KEYBOARD PREVENT BOOT [SOLVED]

KEYWORDS: ASUS, MOTHERBOARD, BOOT PROBLEM, MEMOK, RESET CMOS, FIRST BUILD, WIRELESS KEYBOARD.

Others have posted on various website (tomshardware, techsupportform, etc) with the same issue/problem. After reading a few websites and speaking to ASUS tech support, I found no solution. However, I found this easy fix / work around.

DATE OF BUILD: June 20, 2012

MACHINE:

Specs stated below.

PROBLEM:
Build created with specs outlined below. Only essential components compiled into PC. Mobo, CPU, CPU FAN, Graphics card, 1 RAM into 1 slot, PSU. Press the MemOK button, (or complete circuit with two pins) to boot. Splash screen comes up, needed to put in a keyboard to press F1 (or different F# button or DEL to enter BIOS), I only had a wireless keyboard (HP wireless keyboard Elite), so I used that. Boot works normal. Then I shut if off, then when I try to boot again, it doesn't work, nothing at all lights up, no response. I take the wireless USB dongle out for the keyboard, but still it doesn't boot. I still only had the pc essential components in there. I disconnect the PSU, then plug it back in, press MemOK button, but still doesn't boot. Then if I RESET CMOS (this will also reset time and date), then it works. To reset CMOS, you also need to disconnect the PSU and wait a few seconds. The motherboard booklet shows how to reset CMOS. So basically, everytime I shut down pc, I needed to reset the CMOS in order to boot. Also, if just a pc restart, it does start up properly.

This was annoying, I search around the internet, and others have said the same thing about the ASUS motherboard and they gave up and got a Gigabyte mobo. Others have suggested solutions like just a bench test, check PSU power output to make sure it outputs correct power to mobo. But these didn't work, and others have stated this not working.
ASUS TECH SUPPORT: Seriously these people are not that helpful in finding a solution, they would just go through some troubleshooting things, then they would just say, send it back in and we'll replace it. Also, I don't think the ASUS motherboard tech support is that experienced or knowledagble (Ph. 812 282 2787, option 2 then option 1, USA number). I spoke to 5 different staff members there, and only 1 guy sounded like he knew what he was doing.

Then finally I figured it out, it was the wireless keyboard that I was using that prevented the motherboard from booting, I think it was something to do with the 2.4GHz the wireless keyboard runs at, interfering with the mobo components. But I needed the keyboard to be plugged in there to press the F1 button to enter BIOS. I called ASUS again and told them it was the wireless keyboard I was using (HP wireless keyboard Elite) and that it prevent mobo from booting, the MemOK button didn't work. They still had no idea why or how to work around it.

SOLUTION:

Then at last I found a work around, (a solution), I tried connect the motherboard to the computer case and I wanted to see if the power button on the computer case would turn on the mobo. Success. IT WORKED. I connect all the components, and if I press the computer case power button, it starts up, no problems. So, it wasn't much of a problem anyways, just the MemOK button doesn't work. So if others are doing a build and encounter this discrepancy, its not really an issue, just connect it to computer case, and it will all work. It doesn't really feel good when you have a $1000+ brand new machine which you think is broke.

I called ASUS and told them of the solution / work around, just in case another poor fellow calls up with the same problem. Mind you, they still didn't sound much interested.

Regards,
Kenan Yigiter
Control Software Engineer
Technical Specialist Architect
And a Turk
Em. ky3891@gmail.com

MACHINE:

CPU: AMD FX-8150, 3.6GHz, 125W, Eight-Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS 990FX AM3+
MEMORY: CORSAIR 16GB (4x4GB)
VIDEO CARD: XFX Radeon HD 6950, 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR TX750 750W
Hard Drive: OCZ SSD

m
l
July 12, 2012 12:40:58 AM

Could you illuminate me as to how exactly you went about connecting the motherboard and the case? or are you refering to the case powerswitch?
This problem has been haunting me and has left me in a state of not really wanting to bother to turn my computer off. lol.
Cheers
Chris

kenanyigiter said:

KEYWORDS: ASUS, MOTHERBOARD, BOOT PROBLEM, MEMOK, RESET CMOS, FIRST BUILD, WIRELESS KEYBOARD.

Others have posted on various website (tomshardware, techsupportform, etc) with the same issue/problem. After reading a few websites and speaking to ASUS tech support, I found no solution. However, I found this easy fix / work around.

MACHINE:

Specs stated below.

PROBLEM:
Build created with specs outlined below. Only essential components compiled into PC. Mobo, CPU, CPU FAN, Graphics card, 1 RAM into 1 slot, PSU. Press the MemOK button, (or complete circuit with two pins) to boot. Splash screen comes up, needed to put in a keyboard to press F1 (or different F# button or DEL to enter BIOS), I only had a wireless keyboard (HP wireless keyboard Elite), so I used that. Boot works normal. Then I shut if off, then when I try to boot again, it doesn't work, nothing at all lights up, no response. I take the wireless USB dongle out for the keyboard, but still it doesn't boot. I still only had the pc essential components in there. I disconnect the PSU, then plug it back in, press MemOK button, but still doesn't boot. Then if I RESET CMOS (this will also reset time and date), then it works. To reset CMOS, you also need to disconnect the PSU and wait a few seconds. The motherboard booklet shows how to reset CMOS. So basically, everytime I shut down pc, I needed to reset the CMOS in order to boot. Also, if just a pc restart, it does start up properly.

This was annoying, I search around the internet, and others have said the same thing about the ASUS motherboard and they gave up and got a Gigabyte mobo. Others have suggested solutions like just a bench test, check PSU power output to make sure it outputs correct power to mobo. But these didn't work, and others have stated this not working.
ASUS TECH SUPPORT: Seriously these people are not that helpful in finding a solution, they would just go through some troubleshooting things, then they would just say, send it back in and we'll replace it. Also, I don't think the ASUS motherboard tech support is that experienced or knowledagble (Ph. 812 282 2787, option 2 then option 1, USA number). I spoke to 5 different staff members there, and only 1 guy sounded like he knew what he was doing.

Then finally I figured it out, it was the wireless keyboard that I was using that prevented the motherboard from booting, I think it was something to do with the 2.4GHz the wireless keyboard runs at, interfering with the mobo components. But I needed the keyboard to be plugged in there to press the F1 button to enter BIOS. I called ASUS again and told them it was the wireless keyboard I was using (HP wireless keyboard Elite) and that it prevent mobo from booting, the MemOK button didn't work. They still had no idea why or how to work around it.

SOLUTION:

Then at last I found a work around, (a solution), I tried connect the motherboard to the computer case and I wanted to see if the power button on the computer case would turn on the mobo. Success. IT WORKED. I connect all the components, and if I press the computer case power button, it starts up, no problems. So, it wasn't much of a problem anyways, just the MemOK button doesn't work. So if others are doing a build and encounter this discrepancy, its not really an issue, just connect it to computer case, and it will all work. It doesn't really feel good when you have a $1000+ brand new machine which you think is broke.

I called ASUS and told them of the solution / work around, just in case another poor fellow calls up with the same problem. Mind you, they still didn't sound much interested.

Regards,
Kenan Yigiter
Control Software Engineer
Technical Specialist Architect
And a Turk
Em. ky3891@gmail.com

MACHINE:

CPU: AMD FX-8150, 3.6GHz, 125W, Eight-Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS 990FX AM3+
MEMORY: CORSAIR 16GB (4x4GB)
VIDEO CARD: XFX Radeon HD 6950, 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR TX750 750W
Hard Drive: OCZ SSD

m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 5:49:46 AM

It's dual architecture and requires 2 x ram modules.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A79_Delu...
DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ / AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only

Using one stick of ram is no longer a suitable practice as it was before colour coded slots.
m
l
July 17, 2012 7:42:22 PM

Could you illuminate us as to how exactly you went about connecting the motherboard and the case? Where are you referring to? ;) 

2107547,18,1240458 said:

MACHINE:

Specs stated below.

PROBLEM:
m
l
December 17, 2012 4:19:55 PM

Ive seen these exact symptoms before. In a Dell Vostro 410 desktop and an Acer 5532 laptop. FIXED vostro desktop by troubleshooting every wire, turned out to be a BAD POWER SWITCH/DEFECTIVE BUTTON. Had to flash bios in laptop and desktop for EVERY BOOT, laptop still a PITA.

I suggest RE-SEATing: memory, keyboard, hard drive, ribbon cables and power buttons. For laptops, remove power switch covers and mounted power switches.
m
l
December 18, 2012 5:39:44 AM

thanks
mikelabs said:
Ive seen these exact symptoms before. In a Dell Vostro 410 desktop and an Acer 5532 laptop. FIXED vostro desktop by troubleshooting every wire, turned out to be a BAD POWER SWITCH/DEFECTIVE BUTTON. Had to flash bios in laptop and desktop for EVERY BOOT, laptop still a PITA.

I suggest RE-SEATing: memory, keyboard, hard drive, ribbon cables and power buttons. For laptops, remove power switch covers and mounted power switches.

m
l
!