Sign in with
Your question

Does Discwizard and WD's Acronis back up other drives?

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2012 5:12:11 PM

I am looking at a new hard drive, and can't decide between a Seagate or a WD. The prices and capabilities are identical, really.

Do the complimentary backup software allow you to backup/image all drives on your system, or only that particular drive?

Also, I understand that Discwizard is just Acronis with a different name, is one better than the other?
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 5:34:18 PM

I highly recommend Clonezilla. It is a free tool you can use to backup and image any partition or hard disk.
m
l
a c 359 G Storage
July 5, 2012 4:19:39 AM

Seagate's Disk Wizard and WD's Acronis True Image WD Edition both appear to be customized versions of Acronis True Image. Both contain functionality for a LOT more than Cloning. But I have not purchased / used the real Acronis, so I can't tell you if anything is "missing" in the custom versions.

Both will allow you to make clone copies of any SOURCE HDD, but will make the clone only TO a DESTINATION unit made by their respective suppliers. (They want to help you migrate to one of THEIR HDD's only.)
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
July 6, 2012 11:58:17 AM

True Image home does more than clone. It also does your standard file backups, scheduled backups, has a secure zone (a bootable repair partition), can create a live boot disk, can backup to network drives, sync files, try before you decide, and so on.

I've been using true image for years. I don't use the secure zone feature because I don't like any 3rd party programs messing with my disk partitions. I create/use the live repair media instead. I mainly use it for file backups, syncing files, and disk imaging. I haven't tried the "try and decide" feature yet.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
m
l
!