  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2004 12:29:10 AM

I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
classified like this in the first place).

Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.

--
Winnie

''If you can't wake up in the morning
'Cause your bed lies vacant at night
If you're lost, hurt, tired or lonely
Can't control it - try as you might
May you find that love that won't leave you
May you find it by the end of the day
You won't be lost, hurt, tired and lonely
Something beautiful will come your way"

- Robbie Williams' Something Beautiful

More about : games similar tomb raider

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:29:11 AM

In article <cd8ga2$bg5$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg> "Winnie Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> writes:
>From: "Winnie Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg>
>Newsgroups: alt.games.tombraider
>Subject: Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?
>Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:29:10 +0800

>I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
>whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
>play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
>Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
>classified like this in the first place).

>Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
>like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.

>--
>Winnie

>''If you can't wake up in the morning
>'Cause your bed lies vacant at night
>If you're lost, hurt, tired or lonely
>Can't control it - try as you might
>May you find that love that won't leave you
>May you find it by the end of the day
>You won't be lost, hurt, tired and lonely
>Something beautiful will come your way"

>- Robbie Williams' Something Beautiful

I'm a huge TR fan and I can recommend the following:
Any of the 007 games
Evil Dead, Fist Full of Boomstick
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:29:11 AM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:29:10 +0800, "Winnie Y."
<yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
>whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
>play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
>Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
>classified like this in the first place).

Half-Life and its add-ons all have a single-player mode. They also
have an on-line competitive option, similar to Quake and Unreal
Tournament.

I think it's safe to say HL is nothing like TR. Half-Life is a shooter
- a very good atmospheric shooter. You explore, you battle the
opponents in the game, you move on. There's little or no
puzzle-solving in Half-Life, other than the tactical kind (how to
out-manoeuvre the enemies - or at least take advantage of the
limitations in their AI). You won't get any 3rd person stuff like you
get in TR, nor do you get the same locations - Half-Life for the most
part is set in a top secret Gummint installation that's suddenly
become very run-down, rather than (say) Egypt and the South Seas and
India and (er) London.

>Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
>like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.

When we used to have an FAQ, it used to have a section on games that
were vaguely like Tomb Raider. That section is most likely out of date
by now. The last copy I was able to find has this list:

Alone in the Dark
Deathtrap Dungeon
Drakan: Order of the Flame (Demo)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Metal Gear Solid (Demo)
Heavy Metal FAKK2
ODT (Demo)
Oni (Demo)
Outcast
Project Eden (Demo)
Severance: Blade of Darkness

Check out
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Mj2ub.101913%24KY1...

Syberia has had a couple of mentions here. It's a point-and-click
game, rather than a 3D explorer. It looks very good - a distinctive
style - but I found it moved very slowly. It also stops halfway
through the plot, but I understand that a sequel is on its way.

- AG

Knowlege Is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.
July 17, 2004 12:29:11 AM

"Winnie Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
> whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
> play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if
TR's
> classified like this in the first place).
>
> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.
>
> --
> Winnie
>

> ''If you can't wake up in the morning
> 'Cause your bed lies vacant at night
> If you're lost, hurt, tired or lonely
> Can't control it - try as you might
> May you find that love that won't leave you
> May you find it by the end of the day
> You won't be lost, hurt, tired and lonely
> Something beautiful will come your way"
>
> - Robbie Williams' Something Beautiful

Try Arabian Nights - I thought it was lovely. Indiana Jones 1 and 2 not as
good as TR but similar. If you have an XBox, then Galleon for definite.
Created by Toby Gard (original TR) and pure joy to play. Any TR fan would
love this worth the price of the box.

Mary
July 17, 2004 12:33:32 AM

> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.

Syberia 1 & 2 are excellent, highly recommended. Also consider ones
like Beyond Good & Evil (think that's the title) and Prince of Persia: Sands
of Time.

rms
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:17:41 AM

Arthur Green wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:29:10 +0800, "Winnie Y."
> <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>
> >I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
> >whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
> >play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> >Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
> >classified like this in the first place).
>
> Half-Life and its add-ons all have a single-player mode. They also
> have an on-line competitive option, similar to Quake and Unreal
> Tournament.
>
> I think it's safe to say HL is nothing like TR. Half-Life is a shooter
> - a very good atmospheric shooter. You explore, you battle the
> opponents in the game, you move on. There's little or no
> puzzle-solving in Half-Life, other than the tactical kind (how to
> out-manoeuvre the enemies - or at least take advantage of the
> limitations in their AI). You won't get any 3rd person stuff like you
> get in TR, nor do you get the same locations - Half-Life for the most
> part is set in a top secret Gummint installation that's suddenly
> become very run-down, rather than (say) Egypt and the South Seas and
> India and (er) London.
>
> >Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
> >like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.
>
> When we used to have an FAQ, it used to have a section on games that
> were vaguely like Tomb Raider. That section is most likely out of date
> by now. The last copy I was able to find has this list:
>
> Alone in the Dark
> Deathtrap Dungeon
> Drakan: Order of the Flame (Demo)
> Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
> Metal Gear Solid (Demo)
> Heavy Metal FAKK2
> ODT (Demo)
> Oni (Demo)
> Outcast
> Project Eden (Demo)
> Severance: Blade of Darkness

I'd add to the list the Myst series, especially Exile. There's no
shooting, it's all exploration of fantastic terrain and puzzle
solving. IMO, that's the best part of TR anyway, but that's me.
It's first person and the other characters are real people (actors),
not cartoons. The graphics and music are outstanding.

If you think the shooting and battling the enemies is the best part
of TR, then the Myst games might not be for you. But as far as I'm
concerned, they are similar games.

-- G

> Check out
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Mj2ub.101913%24KY1...
>
> Syberia has had a couple of mentions here. It's a point-and-click
> game, rather than a 3D explorer. It looks very good - a distinctive
> style - but I found it moved very slowly. It also stops halfway
> through the plot, but I understand that a sequel is on its way.
>
> - AG
>
> Knowlege Is Power.
> Power Corrupts.
> Study Hard.
> Be Evil.
July 17, 2004 1:57:23 AM

> I'd add to the list the Myst series, especially Exile. There's no
> shooting, it's all exploration of fantastic terrain and puzzle
> solving.

If you've never played myst, please take the time to find Real Myst.
Gone are the annoying slide-show graphics of the original game, and you are
completely free to move about in the gorgeous worlds. It's a shame Riven
will never get this same treatment, as it cries out for it.

> > Syberia has had a couple of mentions here. It's a point-and-click
> > game, rather than a 3D explorer. It looks very good - a distinctive
> > style - but I found it moved very slowly. It also stops halfway
> > through the plot, but I understand that a sequel is on its way.

Syberia2 has been out for some months. The action moves even more
slowly than the original, but the cut-scenes are mind-bogglingly beautiful,
the best I've ever seen in a videogame, and well worth the purchase just for
themselves.

rms
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 2:38:18 AM

Winnie Y. wrote:
> I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
> whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
> play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
> classified like this in the first place).
>
> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.

syberia 1 was great, syberia 2 was boring, IMO (both are straight out
adventures, point and click, not exploration games like TR)

urban city - older but great game, very similar to TR with many
improvements

erik
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:33:33 AM

Yes, agree with those two : Beyond good and evil is fun and Prince of
Persia-sands of time is very good ( sequel is about to be released I
think) . Also : both of these are an absolute thrill in ways of
control after you have been playing AOD ( test : play AOD for about an
hour and then load up any of the following : any other TR-game , POP
or Beyond good and evil ; it's only then you realize just how sloppy
the controls in AOD work )

Op Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:33:32 GMT schreef "rms"
<rsquires@flashREMOVE.net>:

>> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
>> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.
>
> Syberia 1 & 2 are excellent, highly recommended. Also consider ones
>like Beyond Good & Evil (think that's the title) and Prince of Persia: Sands
>of Time.
>
>rms

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:33:34 AM

"rocketranger" <rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> Yes, agree with those two : Beyond good and evil is fun and Prince of
> Persia-sands of time is very good ( sequel is about to be released I
> think) . Also : both of these are an absolute thrill in ways of
> control after you have been playing AOD ( test : play AOD for about an
> hour and then load up any of the following : any other TR-game , POP
> or Beyond good and evil ; it's only then you realize just how sloppy
> the controls in AOD work )
>

> Op Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:33:32 GMT schreef "rms"
> <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net>:
>
> >> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's
Syberia
> >> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.
> >
> > Syberia 1 & 2 are excellent, highly recommended. Also consider ones
> >like Beyond Good & Evil (think that's the title) and Prince of Persia:
Sands
> >of Time.
> >
> >rms

I agree Beyond Good and Evil a wonderful game! Prince of Persia beautiful,
but too short. However POP2 in the making.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 8:24:01 AM

mary clarke wrote:
> "rocketranger" <rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message

<snip>
>>>of Time.
>>>
>>>rms
>>>

> I agree Beyond Good and Evil a wonderful game! Prince of Persia beautiful,
> but too short. However POP2 in the making.

Actually, "Sands of Time" *is* POP2
I found POP:SOT a little boring and in some places a pain to maneuver
your character (camera keeps moving around on you). I thought the
original POP:3D to be more fun.

I tried the demo for BG&E and just did not find it interesting. And the
controls kept reversing directions ... I *hate* that.

--

Pistol Whipped
Anonymous

Pistol Whipped wrote:
> mary clarke wrote:
>> I agree Beyond Good and Evil a wonderful game! Prince of Persia
>> beautiful,
>> but too short. However POP2 in the making.
>
> Actually, "Sands of Time" *is* POP2
> I found POP:SOT a little boring and in some places a pain to maneuver
> your character (camera keeps moving around on you). I thought the
> original POP:3D to be more fun.

how is SOT POP2? POP3D is POP2. wasn't there other POP game in
between? they can't have bunch of POP games and suddenly call one POP2.
at least not in my universe.

> I tried the demo for BG&E and just did not find it interesting. And the
> controls kept reversing directions ... I *hate* that.

the game is pretty good, I like it more than demo. the console style
control is annoying but you can get used to it.

erik
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:23:38 PM

"Winnie Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:<cd8ga2$bg5$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
> I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes the
> whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
> play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if TR's
> classified like this in the first place).
>
> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's Syberia
> like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun) game.
>
> --
> Winnie

The 5th Element - LeeLoo is a bit Lara Like

The longest Journey - No fighting but lots of puzzles- point n click

Oni - I loved this game, anime style fighting/shooter/explorer game.
made in Canada surprisingly

I have both Syberia 1 and 2... 1 is better IMO, both are very slow
moving, no fighting, point n click, lovely to look at though.

Serious Sam 1 & 2 - Great fun, lots and lots of shooting and also lots
of exploring and secrets to find. Breathtaking battle sequences. has
1st or 3rd person perspectives as well.

Hope that helped ;o)
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 6:23:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Will see if the shops over here sell the titles
still. Syberia seems to be the best option. If not, maybe will get
Half-Life.

WY

"Erik Steffl" <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Pistol Whipped wrote:
> > mary clarke wrote:
> >> I agree Beyond Good and Evil a wonderful game! Prince of Persia
> >> beautiful,
> >> but too short. However POP2 in the making.
> >
> > Actually, "Sands of Time" *is* POP2
> > I found POP:SOT a little boring and in some places a pain to maneuver
> > your character (camera keeps moving around on you). I thought the
> > original POP:3D to be more fun.
>
> how is SOT POP2? POP3D is POP2. wasn't there other POP game in
> between? they can't have bunch of POP games and suddenly call one POP2.
> at least not in my universe.
>
> > I tried the demo for BG&E and just did not find it interesting. And the
> > controls kept reversing directions ... I *hate* that.
>
> the game is pretty good, I like it more than demo. the console style
> control is annoying but you can get used to it.
>
> erik
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:09:27 AM

"snark^" wrote

<snip right to the point and no chattering ala "Good Omens">

> The fair: TRAOD, Empirical Indy, Drakan, Max Payne, Alone in the Dark,

Alone in the Dark reminds me of "Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the
Earth". Heard anything about it recently? (Especially how they're going to
handle Jack's insanity?) Seems like that could get annoying if not done
properly. Nothing like watching the player-character dive off the docks or
eat his gun or whatever. No "hud" seems an interesting idea for added
realism to same ol' FPS, and it seems to have gone over well enough at E3
from what little I've read. Screenies look nice too.

Still, they've been working on this thing for what? Over 2 years?

Oh that they'd allowed poor AoD time to "be ready when it's finally
ready"...

(Or, in compliance with new UFAQ.)

That should've read: "poor (spoiler) AoD that was released prematurely
(spoil) and had such a (spoiler) lousy control system (spoil) etc., etc..."
:)
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:23:20 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t <<=

> snark^ wrote:
> > The fair: TRAOD, Empirical Indy, Drakan, Max Payne, Alone in the Dark,
> > Oni, TRLR/TR1, Infernal Indy, Urban Chaos, Bloodrayne, The Hobbit.
>
> I'm surprised you consider TRLR and TR1 merely fair--in the same
> class as TRAoD. Most around here seem to think TR1 is the best
> of the series, and nearly everyone (obviously not you) thinks
> TRAoD comes in a distant last. Would you care to elaborate?

I played TR2 first, so when I finally got around to playing TR1 it
basically seemed really bland in comparison -- no action and the
exploration side seemed a little flat too; the guys at Core had done the
basic blocky stuff with TR1 and TR2's maps seemed a lot more detailed,
with more 'oomph!' to the design and looks and wasn't just a
jump-the-blocks thing. TR1 had cute cutscenes but that was about it.

TRLR was, in a word, boring. As I'm sure I've said before I just never
got past the Cairo levels. I did enjoy some of the early stuff and the
level designers had really gone to town on the *looks* for each map
(Coastal Ruins is still one of my favs) but it just went on and on and
on... with each level having the same kind of gameplay (find x-object,
plug it into x-locational-object, rinse and repeat) and no apparent
variety (worse even than TR1 in this regard). As the author-dude said
at the time; "it was tomb of the next guy which looks just exactly like
tomb of the last guy". The extra moves and stuff were great... it's
just the endlessly samey-playing maps killed off any kind of energy it
was developing as the game went on.

TRAOD at least showed promise, it just utterly unrealised. New smoother
animated moves, flasher graphics, much better looking environments, etc,
etc -- all counterbalanced by that laggy control input and huge lack of
content. I would have loved to have seen the finished, polished,
product. It was heading on the right direction at least (just needs
more added mouse! New mouse-action, with Gleamo!(tm)).

So, that leave TR2 and TR3 as my favourites (with TRC desrving of a
mention in dispatches for being contained in bite-sized episodes). TR2
was the game TR1 should have been (even the guys at Core said something
to that effect -- stuff they'd left out of TR1 finally making its
appearance, eg., climbing). TR3 introduced just enough to keep the
appetite whetted and had some lovely new, well designed and inventive
maps besides -- the difficulty factor was horrendous of course, and the
lack of plot exposition showed itup a bit, but like TRC it came in
mini-episodes which stopped any developing boredom cold.

--
Of course I believe in the devil. If I did not, I should have to believe
that I am the devil myself.

snark^ wrote:
snip--
> I played TR2 first, so when I finally got around to playing TR1 it
> basically seemed really bland in comparison --
snip--

I think that's it right there. Lots of us played Tombraider first, got
hooked, and have played everything TR ever since. There wasn't a
choice. Tombraider was the first, and we were there FOR that, and
that's how we got started on our linear progression from Tombraider to
AoD. Perhaps it's simple sentimentality? I dunno, Tombraider set a
mood and a pace as well as a theme to the gameplay. So it being our
first, it became the model our expectations of these games was set by.
Even as TR2 more or less set your expectations. That's understandable.
Though, to me, it's a little sad because had you played Tombraider
first, you'd likely have thoroughly enjoyed it.
McG.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:23:22 AM

I think we can all agree that TRAOD comes in last ( by quite a
distance ) when it comes to actual gameplay . The graphics - side of
the game look stunning until you actually start playing the game .
I'll settle for less flashy graphics and better gameplay . I remember
the "oldies " like Impossible mision, the original Prince of Persia ,
Paradroid ( by Andrew Braybrook, is he still active ?? ) etc.

The graphics in those games were nothing special but the gameplay and
"mood "more than made up for that . It was the same for TR1 and TR2 (
especially liked the swimming-sections in that one ) . These days
folks are simply trying to lure us into buying games by showing off
the great graphics they're capable of producing and totally neglecting
gameplay ( fortunately there are still exceptions to this) so the
"endurance " of the games are reduced to a couple of weeks at the most
..
I quickly lost all interest in TRAOD , simply because of the gameplay
.. I just couldn't be bothered anymore with such tedious controls .
Earlier TR-games weren't perfect with regard to the control-system ,
but at least they were playable once you got used to the controls .

Still : I still remember fondly those oldies - Prince of Persia was
one you simply WANTED to finish before getting some sleep !!

Op Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:51:30 GMT schreef "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>:

>snark^ wrote:
>snip--
>> I played TR2 first, so when I finally got around to playing TR1 it
>> basically seemed really bland in comparison --
>snip--
>
>I think that's it right there. Lots of us played Tombraider first, got
>hooked, and have played everything TR ever since. There wasn't a
>choice. Tombraider was the first, and we were there FOR that, and
>that's how we got started on our linear progression from Tombraider to
>AoD. Perhaps it's simple sentimentality? I dunno, Tombraider set a
>mood and a pace as well as a theme to the gameplay. So it being our
>first, it became the model our expectations of these games was set by.
>Even as TR2 more or less set your expectations. That's understandable.
>Though, to me, it's a little sad because had you played Tombraider
>first, you'd likely have thoroughly enjoyed it.
>McG.

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:47:14 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> Gary Mitchell wrote:
> > snark^ wrote:
> >>
> >> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Arthur Green
> >> warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t
> >> <<=

> >> .... [snip] ....
> >>
> >> Careful, you'll drag me out of hibernation...
> >>
> >> Here's a quick guide to 3rdPP games: some are actually action/RPG/FPS
> >> games that merely have a 3rd person mode but they all bear some
> >> resemblence to TR in one way or another (I'm gonna getcha getcha
> >> getcha, one way, or...).
> >>
> >> The great: Project Eden, Outcast, The Thing, Severance, Hidden and
> >> Dangerous 2, Syberia, Gothic 2.
> >>
> >> The good: FAKK2, TR2/TR3/TRC, Morrowind, Hitman 2, Max Payne 2, Armed
> >> and Dangerous, Thief3.
> >>
> >> The fair: TRAOD, Empirical Indy, Drakan, Max Payne, Alone in the
> >> Dark, Oni, TRLR/TR1, Infernal Indy, Urban Chaos, Bloodrayne, The
> >> Hobbit.
> >
> > I'm surprised you consider TRLR and TR1 merely fair--in the same
> > class as TRAoD. Most around here seem to think TR1 is the best
> > of the series, and nearly everyone (obviously not you) thinks
> > TRAoD comes in a distant last. Would you care to elaborate?
> >
> > -- G
>
> I raised an eyebrow at that too Gary. I'd also like to hear more on
> that one.
> In overall enjoyment of the game, I consider Tombraider and The Last
> Revelation to be the best, in that order, with TR3, then TR2, then
> Chronicles.

I was going to say I'd reverse those (TRLR first), but in terms of
enjoyment? Hmmmm... I played TR 1 first. It was new and exciting.
The others weren't a big surprise after that. Even though all the
sequels are better from a technical standpoint, it's tough to
recapture the awe and surprise of the first.

> Haven't finished AoD yet, and lost my enthusiasm for it
> last year sometime.

Coming from a TR fan, that speaks volumes.

> I have yet to finish Lost Artifact too, but am
> still enthused about that one!

I liked all the add-ons just as much as the originals. I think of TRC
as an add-on too, BTW. It's the same engine as TRLR and continues the
story, just like the others did.

> For me, TR3 blew first place (really!) by carrying console features into
> the PC version. I really loved India, all parts India. But in one
> place, looking out across a scape thru a break in the trees and rock, I
> could see three save game crystals. I thought that was just sad. Kinda
> spoiled the immersion, not used to non game subject objects in the game
> :(
> McG.

Oh yeah, that was lame wasn't it? Especially on the PC. :/

-- G
July 22, 2004 12:54:53 PM

Winnie Y. wrote:
> I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that
> includes the whole series) but was told that would require at least
> another person to play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is
> that true? Also, is Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the
> first-person adventure type (if TR's classified like this in the
> first place).
>
> Are there any games similar to TR? I'm kinda hooked on it. How's
> Syberia like by the way? Seems like a... erm... cool (pardon the pun)
> game.

An Half-Life special edition including the whole series is IMHO an must buy if the price is right.
Also it's not like TR (TR = Third Person, HL=First Person shoter), it's a lot of fun to play.

Other third person games worth a look
- Project Eden = an must. fair puzzles, good story
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/gss/legacy/project_eden...
- Shadowman = Non linear gaming, big levels, fair puzzles, hours and hours of gaming, and temples
that resembles a lot TR games. http://www.acclaim.com/games/shadowman/
- The Thief series = great
- Primal = hmmm .... what to say. fair Graphics, fair puzzles, but it left me with mixed feelings.
http://www.primalgame.com/

an almost always
friendly

Ghost
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:03:10 PM

Gary Mitchell wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> Gary Mitchell wrote:

>>> I'm surprised you consider TRLR and TR1 merely fair--in the same
>>> class as TRAoD. Most around here seem to think TR1 is the best
>>> of the series, and nearly everyone (obviously not you) thinks
>>> TRAoD comes in a distant last. Would you care to elaborate?
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> I raised an eyebrow at that too Gary. I'd also like to hear more on
>> that one.
>> In overall enjoyment of the game, I consider Tombraider and The Last
>> Revelation to be the best, in that order, with TR3, then TR2, then
>> Chronicles.
>
> I was going to say I'd reverse those (TRLR first), but in terms of
> enjoyment? Hmmmm... I played TR 1 first. It was new and exciting.
> The others weren't a big surprise after that. Even though all the
> sequels are better from a technical standpoint, it's tough to
> recapture the awe and surprise of the first.
>
>> Haven't finished AoD yet, and lost my enthusiasm for it
>> last year sometime.
>
> Coming from a TR fan, that speaks volumes.
>
>> I have yet to finish Lost Artifact too, but am
>> still enthused about that one!
>
> I liked all the add-ons just as much as the originals. I think of TRC
> as an add-on too, BTW. It's the same engine as TRLR and continues the
> story, just like the others did.
>
>> For me, TR3 blew first place (really!) by carrying console features
>> into the PC version. I really loved India, all parts India. But in
>> one place, looking out across a scape thru a break in the trees and
>> rock, I could see three save game crystals. I thought that was just
>> sad. Kinda spoiled the immersion, not used to non game subject
>> objects in the game :(
>> McG.
>
> Oh yeah, that was lame wasn't it? Especially on the PC. :/
>
> -- G

That was exactly the point, especially on the PC :)  I recall feeling
a little concern that we PC players would be stuck with saving exactly
where each crystal was. Happily enough, they 'accumulated', and by the
time I was halfway thru India I think I had enough for the rest of the
game. I remember that you could save over a previous save at any time.
Made the crystals pointless on the pc, though they could have been
removed entirely for better effect. Oh well. Every one of the games
has its own little eccentricities, just as we do. Shall we attribute
that to the 'character' of each game? Heh!
McG.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:09:14 PM

snark^ wrote:

> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
> warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t <<=
>
> > snark^ wrote:
> > > The fair: TRAOD, Empirical Indy, Drakan, Max Payne, Alone in the Dark,
> > > Oni, TRLR/TR1, Infernal Indy, Urban Chaos, Bloodrayne, The Hobbit.
> >
> > I'm surprised you consider TRLR and TR1 merely fair--in the same
> > class as TRAoD. Most around here seem to think TR1 is the best
> > of the series, and nearly everyone (obviously not you) thinks
> > TRAoD comes in a distant last. Would you care to elaborate?
>
> I played TR2 first, so when I finally got around to playing TR1 it
> basically seemed really bland in comparison -- no action and the
> exploration side seemed a little flat too; the guys at Core had done the
> basic blocky stuff with TR1 and TR2's maps seemed a lot more detailed,
> with more 'oomph!' to the design and looks and wasn't just a
> jump-the-blocks thing. TR1 had cute cutscenes but that was about it.
>
> TRLR was, in a word, boring. As I'm sure I've said before I just never
> got past the Cairo levels. I did enjoy some of the early stuff and the
> level designers had really gone to town on the *looks* for each map
> (Coastal Ruins is still one of my favs) but it just went on and on and
> on... with each level having the same kind of gameplay (find x-object,
> plug it into x-locational-object, rinse and repeat) and no apparent
> variety (worse even than TR1 in this regard). As the author-dude said
> at the time; "it was tomb of the next guy which looks just exactly like
> tomb of the last guy". The extra moves and stuff were great... it's
> just the endlessly samey-playing maps killed off any kind of energy it
> was developing as the game went on.
>
> TRAOD at least showed promise, it just utterly unrealised. New smoother
> animated moves, flasher graphics, much better looking environments, etc,
> etc -- all counterbalanced by that laggy control input and huge lack of
> content. I would have loved to have seen the finished, polished,
> product. It was heading on the right direction at least (just needs
> more added mouse! New mouse-action, with Gleamo!(tm)).

It sounds like you're ranking TRAoD based on what it could/should
have been, not what it *is*.

> So, that leave TR2 and TR3 as my favourites (with TRC desrving of a
> mention in dispatches for being contained in bite-sized episodes). TR2
> was the game TR1 should have been (even the guys at Core said something
> to that effect -- stuff they'd left out of TR1 finally making its
> appearance, eg., climbing). TR3 introduced just enough to keep the
> appetite whetted and had some lovely new, well designed and inventive
> maps besides -- the difficulty factor was horrendous of course, and the
> lack of plot exposition showed itup a bit, but like TRC it came in
> mini-episodes which stopped any developing boredom cold.

Hmmm... So, one of the most important qualities for you is to get the
game in "bite size" chunks, huh? I admit TRLR did seem to drag a bit
in places, but we got our money's worth out of it, being the longest
one. Plus, the story was clearer. In other words, much of the time
TR just seems like random levels glued together. TRLR seemed a little
more cohesive. In that regard, TRC was pretty good too, at least they
figured out a smooth way to piece together obviously disparate levels.
But it pissed me off that Core couldn't manage to properly deal with
TRLR's cliff hanger. So, to me, TRC seemed like TRLR gold levels,
with the "real" next episode being AoD.

-- G
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:18:09 PM

rocketranger wrote:

> I think we can all agree that TRAOD comes in last ( by quite a
> distance ) when it comes to actual gameplay . The graphics - side of
> the game look stunning until you actually start playing the game .
> I'll settle for less flashy graphics and better gameplay . I remember
> the "oldies " like Impossible mision, the original Prince of Persia ,
> Paradroid ( by Andrew Braybrook, is he still active ?? ) etc.
>
> The graphics in those games were nothing special but the gameplay and
> "mood "more than made up for that .

Special effects won't save a bad movie, but they're wonderful
in a good movie. It's the same with games, apparently.

> It was the same for TR1 and TR2 (
> especially liked the swimming-sections in that one ) . These days
> folks are simply trying to lure us into buying games by showing off
> the great graphics they're capable of producing and totally neglecting
> gameplay ( fortunately there are still exceptions to this) so the
> "endurance " of the games are reduced to a couple of weeks at the most
> .
> I quickly lost all interest in TRAOD , simply because of the gameplay
> . I just couldn't be bothered anymore with such tedious controls .
> Earlier TR-games weren't perfect with regard to the control-system ,
> but at least they were playable once you got used to the controls .

And the learning curve is short too. That helps a lot. They got
the right mix of player control vs how much Lara did automatically.
I've always been impressed with that. It's one of the major factors
that made TR great, IMO... and they lost that in AoD. Unforgivable.

-- G

> Still : I still remember fondly those oldies - Prince of Persia was
> one you simply WANTED to finish before getting some sleep !!
>

> Op Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:51:30 GMT schreef "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>:
>
> >snark^ wrote:
> >snip--
> >> I played TR2 first, so when I finally got around to playing TR1 it
> >> basically seemed really bland in comparison --
> >snip--
> >
> >I think that's it right there. Lots of us played Tombraider first, got
> >hooked, and have played everything TR ever since. There wasn't a
> >choice. Tombraider was the first, and we were there FOR that, and
> >that's how we got started on our linear progression from Tombraider to
> >AoD. Perhaps it's simple sentimentality? I dunno, Tombraider set a
> >mood and a pace as well as a theme to the gameplay. So it being our
> >first, it became the model our expectations of these games was set by.
> >Even as TR2 more or less set your expectations. That's understandable.
> >Though, to me, it's a little sad because had you played Tombraider
> >first, you'd likely have thoroughly enjoyed it.
> >McG.

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 5:46:43 AM

"Ghost" wrote

<snippie>
> - Shadowman = Non linear gaming, big levels, fair puzzles, hours and hours
of gaming, and temples
> that resembles a lot TR games.

Hey you! Been a while. Keeping busy I trust. :)

Thanks for the tip about "Shadowman". Guess that's one of those I missed,
but I like the demo. Cool concept that's right up my alley-- chicken's
foot, bucket of blood, ritual candals, and Bill Gates photograph are all at
the ready...

Anywho do you have the game?

Reason I'm asking is that I must be really rusty. In the demo I can't seem
to make him do much of anything. I reconfigured the controls to make it
more like TR, but "action" only makes him draw his pistol & doesn't seem to
open doors or interface with anything. (unless the stuff I've come across
is just dungeon dressing so far.) The previews show him monkey swinging.
"alt + ctrl" to grab hold & "Ctrl + arrow" to monkey swing? Does he ever
pick up anything, pull levers or open doors?

Oh, and he can't roll or do back flips like Lara, and you can't make him
curve his jumps in mid-air which led to his fiery death, but over all...

Might pick this one up if I can find it at a swap meet. Give me something
ghoulish to do while I await Call of Cthulhu... :)
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:51:39 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t <<=

> snark^ wrote:
> > TRAOD at least showed promise, it just utterly unrealised. New smoother
> > animated moves, flasher graphics, much better looking environments, etc,
> > etc -- all counterbalanced by that laggy control input and huge lack of
> > content. I would have loved to have seen the finished, polished,
> > product. It was heading on the right direction at least (just needs
> > more added mouse! New mouse-action, with Gleamo!(tm)).
>
> It sounds like you're ranking TRAoD based on what it could/should
> have been, not what it *is*.

Not just its potential. Some of the actually completed levels (or
'scenes' might be a better description given how small they were) were
as good as any previous in the series: the tomb of ancient/hall of
seasons for one (minus those ridiculous little spoked-hub sub-levels);
the nightclub for another. The storm drains, louvre galleries, and
underground dig were only really spoilt by their division into tiny
parts -- had it been one long continuous level (or just in 3 bits) it
would have been very good indeed.

There was enough there to match it up against TR1 and TRLR. It doesn't
exceed them because of its other well commented-upon deficiencies.

> Hmmm... So, one of the most important qualities for you is to get the
> game in "bite size" chunks, huh? I admit TRLR did seem to drag a bit

By that stage it was. The series at that point had lost its energy for
longer stuff: TRC came as a relief. It's worth noting that all the
other games were divided up too: TR1 was divided up into four tombs; TR2
had the wall, venice, oilrig/ship, himalayas areas; TR3 those five
places; TRC those four mini-episodes.

TRLR in comparison just appeared endless -- all the maps played the
same, having been designed with a cookie cutter layout and the same
progression mechanics; minor changes in the texture sets for the
different locations not withstanding. The plot barely moved except to
entice you after another splendiferous magnificent object which merely
opens a boring simple door to the next stage of splendiferous object
finding. The only real standouts for me where the train fight, the
coastal ruins (a hub map let down by it's spokes just like TRAODs hall
of seasons) and the one in the ruined huge pillars where the assassins
come after you again. All else just got lost in the blur.

--
WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
-- Big Shareholder is watching you.

> >I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes
the
> >whole series) but was told that would require at least another person to
> >play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> >Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if
TR's
> >classified like this in the first place).
>
> Half-Life and its add-ons all have a single-player mode. They also
> have an on-line competitive option, similar to Quake and Unreal
> Tournament.
>
> I think it's safe to say HL is nothing like TR. Half-Life is a shooter
> - a very good atmospheric shooter. You explore, you battle the
> opponents in the game, you move on. There's little or no
> puzzle-solving in Half-Life, other than the tactical kind (how to
> out-manoeuvre the enemies - or at least take advantage of the
> limitations in their AI). You won't get any 3rd person stuff like you
> get in TR, nor do you get the same locations - Half-Life for the most
> part is set in a top secret Gummint installation that's suddenly
> become very run-down, rather than (say) Egypt and the South Seas and
> India and (er) London.

I'm not sure how safe it is to say...

You're right about no puzzles in Half Life, but it *is* the only other game
that gave me any satisfaction in exploration and action. It is not linear,
and the levels were very large (although bits of it load on the way).

It does, however have a story. Something I missed in Morrowind, where you
are left free to make up your own story, more or less. Morrowind is *too*
free. American McGee's Alice was too linear and too limited.

Half Life came close to satisfying, although I got stuck at some point,
stayed stuck for a long time and then never got around to finishing it.
(funny that: I've never finished any computer game, other than the first
five TRs)

Sas
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:33:18 AM

Nevermind.

Found a "cheat enabler" to wonder through the demo-- voodoo guns blasting
all the nasties as I torched barrels for goodies.

Cool concept, being so close to New Orleans & all, but maybe it sort of fell
short of the mark imho... :)
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 3:40:37 AM

"Cryptic Sas" wrote

> > >I've been thinking of getting Half-Life (special edition that includes
> the
> > >whole series) but was told that would require at least another person
> > >play it, something like LAN gaming I gather. Is that true? Also, is
> > >Half-Life anything like TR? I mean the first-person adventure type (if
> TR's
> > >classified like this in the first place).
> >
> > Half-Life and its add-ons all have a single-player mode. They also
> > have an on-line competitive option, similar to Quake and Unreal
> > Tournament.
> >
> > I think it's safe to say HL is nothing like TR. Half-Life is a shooter
> > - a very good atmospheric shooter. You explore, you battle the
> > opponents in the game, you move on. There's little or no
> > puzzle-solving in Half-Life, other than the tactical kind (how to
> > out-manoeuvre the enemies - or at least take advantage of the
> > limitations in their AI). You won't get any 3rd person stuff like you
> > get in TR, nor do you get the same locations - Half-Life for the most
> > part is set in a top secret Gummint installation that's suddenly
> > become very run-down, rather than (say) Egypt and the South Seas and
> > India and (er) London.
>
> I'm not sure how safe it is to say...
>
> You're right about no puzzles in Half Life, but it *is* the only other
game
> that gave me any satisfaction in exploration and action. It is not linear,
> and the levels were very large (although bits of it load on the way).
>
> It does, however have a story. Something I missed in Morrowind, where you
> are left free to make up your own story, more or less. Morrowind is *too*
> free. American McGee's Alice was too linear and too limited.
>
> Half Life came close to satisfying, although I got stuck at some point,
> stayed stuck for a long time and then never got around to finishing it.
> (funny that: I've never finished any computer game, other than the first
> five TRs)
>
> Sas

Well MW sort of did-- didn't it? I mean the whole neravine thing *did* get
a little tiresome-- "go here and get this magic item-- now go all the way
across the island and give a wedgie to this uppity Ordinator..."

But defeating Dagoth *was* sort of a plot wasn't it?
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 6:58:45 PM

Same here, the TR games are the only ones I completed. Not that I play many
games anyway.

WY

"Cryptic Sas" <sas@do-not-spam.nl> wrote in message

<away we cut>

> Half Life came close to satisfying, although I got stuck at some point,
> stayed stuck for a long time and then never got around to finishing it.
> (funny that: I've never finished any computer game, other than the first
> five TRs)
>
> Sas

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 4:42:14 PM

<huge snip>
> > It does, however have a story. Something I missed in Morrowind, where
you
> > are left free to make up your own story, more or less. Morrowind is
*too*
> > free. American McGee's Alice was too linear and too limited.
> >
> > Sas
> >

> Well MW sort of did-- didn't it? I mean the whole neravine thing *did*
get
> a little tiresome-- "go here and get this magic item-- now go all the way
> across the island and give a wedgie to this uppity Ordinator..."
>
> But defeating Dagoth *was* sort of a plot wasn't it?

Oh yes, it did have a plot... If you chose to stick to it... But my point
was, if you didn't like the plot... and the whole quest thing (which I
always only liked the first few easy quests of, I indeed don't like being
sent on wild goosehunts *all* over the place) didn't do it for you, you
*could* play the game plotless...

Which is what I ended up doing (I didn't have any overwhelming need to
belong to any faction... ), and I stunk at it. I couldn't get my character
to either beef up, or become magically smarter (if you know what I mean).
And then there's not a whole lot you can finish, because your character is
too feeble to stand up to anyone/anything. So I wandered around, killing
animals, and eating every magic plant I could find.

So maybe I played it "wrong", but I found it all tiresome after a while...

I suppose if you're into that sort of thing, then MW is fabulous, because it
is rather large and you can, if you want to, become immersed in the "realm".
But I got lost in too much possibilities. Didn't like half of them anyway...
and in the end didn't finish a thing...

I don't think the roleplaying thing does it for me...

Sas
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:53:59 AM

> <huge snip>
> > > It does, however have a story. Something I missed in Morrowind, where
> you
> > > are left free to make up your own story, more or less. Morrowind is
> *too*
> > > free. American McGee's Alice was too linear and too limited.
> > >
> > > Sas
> > >

> > Well MW sort of did-- didn't it? I mean the whole neravine thing *did*
> get
> > a little tiresome-- "go here and get this magic item-- now go all the
way
> > across the island and give a wedgie to this uppity Ordinator..."
> >
> > But defeating Dagoth *was* sort of a plot wasn't it?
>
> Oh yes, it did have a plot... If you chose to stick to it... But my point
> was, if you didn't like the plot... and the whole quest thing (which I
> always only liked the first few easy quests of, I indeed don't like being
> sent on wild goosehunts *all* over the place) didn't do it for you, you
> *could* play the game plotless...
>
> Which is what I ended up doing (I didn't have any overwhelming need to
> belong to any faction... ), and I stunk at it. I couldn't get my character
> to either beef up, or become magically smarter (if you know what I mean).
> And then there's not a whole lot you can finish, because your character is
> too feeble to stand up to anyone/anything. So I wandered around, killing
> animals, and eating every magic plant I could find.
>
> So maybe I played it "wrong", but I found it all tiresome after a while...
>
> I suppose if you're into that sort of thing, then MW is fabulous, because
it
> is rather large and you can, if you want to, become immersed in the
"realm".
> But I got lost in too much possibilities. Didn't like half of them
anyway...
> and in the end didn't finish a thing...
>
> I don't think the roleplaying thing does it for me...
>
> Sas

*gasp* someone else who _didn't_ like MW??? Ahh I remember those
days...those days of being flamed out of my hide for daring to point out the
various problems with MW in the Xboxworld.com.au forums....*wistfully
remembers* those were indeed the days.
July 27, 2004 12:32:12 PM

"bbocquin" <SirTalksAlot@chatteringnuns.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Ghost" wrote
>
> <snippie>
> > - Shadowman = Non linear gaming, big levels, fair puzzles, hours and hours
> of gaming, and temples
> > that resembles a lot TR games.
>
> Hey you! Been a while. Keeping busy I trust. :)

Hmmmm ..... had an accident when out in mountains ..... five weeks of cast and immobilized, so now
I'm busy to keep up with "backwork".

> Thanks for the tip about "Shadowman". Guess that's one of those I missed,
> but I like the demo. Cool concept that's right up my alley-- chicken's
> foot, bucket of blood, ritual candals, and Bill Gates photograph are all at
> the ready...
>
> Anywho do you have the game?

Yes

> Reason I'm asking is that I must be really rusty. In the demo I can't seem
> to make him do much of anything. I reconfigured the controls to make it
> more like TR, but "action" only makes him draw his pistol & doesn't seem to
> open doors or interface with anything. (unless the stuff I've come across
> is just dungeon dressing so far.) The previews show him monkey swinging.
> "alt + ctrl" to grab hold & "Ctrl + arrow" to monkey swing? Does he ever
> pick up anything, pull levers or open doors?

What moves Shadowman has : running forward, backward, left, rigth, straffe left, straffe right,
jump, duck, turning right, turning left, and he simmy along ledges and ropes, and he can swim and
dive ..... and I almost forgot he can do some kind of roll too.

He picks up a lot of stuff (weapons, ammo, cadeaux, books, accumulators, souls)

He has to pull lot's of levers and can open doors too

> Oh, and he can't roll or do back flips like Lara, and you can't make him
> curve his jumps in mid-air which led to his fiery death, but over all...
>
> Might pick this one up if I can find it at a swap meet. Give me something
> ghoulish to do while I await Call of Cthulhu... :)

I can only reccomand to buy this game, there are temple levels where you have to ask who copied who.
And then surprise! There is also a nice London subway level.

Then there are lot's of weird baddys, zombies and undead dogs, as with the mummys in TR 4 you can't
kill them. So you have to stun and outrun them.

But prepare, it's about at least 40 to 60 hours of play.

an almost always friendly

Ghost
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:23:43 AM

<snips most>
> > I don't think the roleplaying thing does it for me...
> >
> > Sas
> >

> *gasp* someone else who _didn't_ like MW??? Ahh I remember those
> days...those days of being flamed out of my hide for daring to point out
the
> various problems with MW in the Xboxworld.com.au forums....*wistfully
> remembers* those were indeed the days.

I did like it at first. I was overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the game,
the detail of the world. I remember I liked playing it too. But the
technical difficulties got to me, and then I just left it, and never
returned.

When I asked myself why I didn't return (eventhough my new PC Bob can kick
ass game-wise), these are the answers I came up with. I just didn't bother.

Maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm just not so gamey anymore? Or maybe playing
the TRs and enjoying them so much I *had* to finish them was a fluke? Never
to be repeated with any other game?

Sad thought...

Sas
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:09:34 AM

"Cryptic Sas" wrote

> > > I don't think the roleplaying thing does it for me...
> > >
> > > Sas
> > >

> > *gasp* someone else who _didn't_ like MW??? Ahh I remember those
> > days...those days of being flamed out of my hide for daring to point out
> the
> > various problems with MW in the Xboxworld.com.au forums....*wistfully
> > remembers* those were indeed the days.
>
> I did like it at first. I was overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the game,
> the detail of the world. I remember I liked playing it too. But the
> technical difficulties got to me, and then I just left it, and never
> returned.
>
> When I asked myself why I didn't return (eventhough my new PC Bob can kick
> ass game-wise), these are the answers I came up with. I just didn't
bother.

> Maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm just not so gamey anymore? Or maybe playing
> the TRs and enjoying them so much I *had* to finish them was a fluke?
Never
> to be repeated with any other game?
>
> Sad thought...
>
> Sas

Well MW is very relaxing. (for me at least) I just like exploring & still
playing it maybe once a month..

Know what you mean about running around eating plants though. Quickly lost
interest being a wizard or a healer type. Much more fun to climb up to a
tall spot where nothing can get at me and them plink at the ol' bad-nasties
with the bow & arrow. :)
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:41:20 AM

> <snips most>
> > > I don't think the roleplaying thing does it for me...
> > >
> > > Sas
> > >

> > *gasp* someone else who _didn't_ like MW??? Ahh I remember those
> > days...those days of being flamed out of my hide for daring to point out
> the
> > various problems with MW in the Xboxworld.com.au forums....*wistfully
> > remembers* those were indeed the days.
>
> I did like it at first. I was overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the game,
> the detail of the world. I remember I liked playing it too. But the
> technical difficulties got to me, and then I just left it, and never
> returned.
>
> When I asked myself why I didn't return (eventhough my new PC Bob can kick
> ass game-wise), these are the answers I came up with. I just didn't
bother.

*sniffs in faithful memory of Oscar*

> Maybe it's just me? Maybe I'm just not so gamey anymore? Or maybe playing
> the TRs and enjoying them so much I *had* to finish them was a fluke?
Never
> to be repeated with any other game?
>
> Sad thought...
>
> Sas

Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:38:12 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Bibi Bobo
warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t <<=

> The Nude Raider exist. See on alt.binaries.txt. Is for Tromb Raider 1.

There's no code. There's a patch to apply on the PC version which
changes the textures for the Lara model (and it looks worse than you
could imagine) but there's no cheatcode, fancy moves, or console or
command line password which will make her clothes magically disappear
ingame.

--
Calvin: I've been thinking, Hobbes.
Hobbes: On a weekend?

snark^ wrote:
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Bibi Bobo
> warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t
> <<=
>
>> The Nude Raider exist. See on alt.binaries.txt. Is for Tromb Raider
>> 1.
>
> There's no code. There's a patch to apply on the PC version which
> changes the textures for the Lara model (and it looks worse than you
> could imagine) but there's no cheatcode, fancy moves, or console or
> command line password which will make her clothes magically disappear
> ingame.

nope, right there snark^, however, shouldn't Lara look awfully beat up
and bloody at times? I mean going by certain of the textures in the pak
file ;)
McG.

> --
> Calvin: I've been thinking, Hobbes.
> Hobbes: On a weekend?
> Calvin: Well, it wasn't on purpose...
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:38:14 AM

Sorry for the distinction but the result is the same one. Bye A+.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:ZTzPc.27487
$Gk4.20907@fe1.texas.rr.com:

> snark^ wrote:
>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Bibi Bobo
>> warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t
>> <<=
>>
>>> The Nude Raider exist. See on alt.binaries.txt. Is for Tromb Raider
>>> 1.
>>
>> There's no code. There's a patch to apply on the PC version which
>> changes the textures for the Lara model (and it looks worse than you
>> could imagine) but there's no cheatcode, fancy moves, or console or
>> command line password which will make her clothes magically disappear
>> ingame.
>
> nope, right there snark^, however, shouldn't Lara look awfully beat up
> and bloody at times? I mean going by certain of the textures in the
pak
> file ;)
> McG.
>

>> --
>> Calvin: I've been thinking, Hobbes.
>> Hobbes: On a weekend?
>> Calvin: Well, it wasn't on purpose...

--
Remove « NOSPAM » for E-Mail
Enlevez « NOSPAM » pour m'écrire

August 7, 2004 11:16:56 PM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "McGrandpa"
warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t <<=

> snark^ wrote:
> > There's no code. There's a patch to apply on the PC version which
> > changes the textures for the Lara model (and it looks worse than you
> > could imagine) but there's no cheatcode, fancy moves, or console or
> > command line password which will make her clothes magically disappear
> > ingame.
>
> nope, right there snark^, however, shouldn't Lara look awfully beat up
> and bloody at times? I mean going by certain of the textures in the pak
> file ;)

You're not the only perver^H^H^H^H^H one who thinks this way. Most of
the stuff released by the FAKK2 mod community addressed this er,
subject... The default skins for Julie were considered by most to be
too 'clean' and unspoilt and so they jazzed them up a bit: strategically
placed rips & tears + blood (red and alien grunge) and injuries,
scratches... all this when they weren't making straight out nude skins
of course.

--
Rimmer: "The Cat's in a hell of a state - he's looking so geeky I don't
think he could even get in to a Science Fiction convention."

snark^ wrote:
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "McGrandpa"
> warbled on about "Which games are similar to Tomb Raider?" in a.g.t
> <<=
>
>> snark^ wrote:
>>> There's no code. There's a patch to apply on the PC version which
>>> changes the textures for the Lara model (and it looks worse than you
>>> could imagine) but there's no cheatcode, fancy moves, or console or
>>> command line password which will make her clothes magically
>>> disappear ingame.
>>
>> nope, right there snark^, however, shouldn't Lara look awfully beat
>> up and bloody at times? I mean going by certain of the textures in
>> the pak file ;)
>
> You're not the only perver^H^H^H^H^H one who thinks this way. Most of
> the stuff released by the FAKK2 mod community addressed this er,
> subject... The default skins for Julie were considered by most to be
> too 'clean' and unspoilt and so they jazzed them up a bit:
> strategically placed rips & tears + blood (red and alien grunge) and
> injuries, scratches... all this when they weren't making straight out
> nude skins of course.
>
> --
> Rimmer: "The Cat's in a hell of a state - he's looking so geeky I
> don't think he could even get in to a Science Fiction convention."

Snark! I wasn't being facetious! I've checked out the textures myself,
there *IS* a bloody Lara in them!!!! Gosh! :-\ This was talked about
somewhere around the 'Deadly Sands' times by several of us here.
McG.
!