Sudden loss of connection, but not signal

adambomb

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
This is a VERY odd problem that I have always had. While in my room(by the router), I can connect wirelessly with no troubles whatsoever. However, when I move a few meters away into my living room, I am unable to connect to the internet, despite having 4 bars of signal. My mother's, sister's, and everyone else's laptop who I have tried do not have this issue on our router. Also, I have no issues with my college network.

I upgraded recently from 32 bit vista to 64 bit windows 7, which of course required a complete reinstall. The problem has been present before and after the upgrade.

I am not the type to post in forums, because I always am able to google and find someone else with the same issue. I have NOT found anyone with this issue before. What can I do??

Hardware Information: Laptop- Asus n50vn-b1b
Network Adapter: Atheros AR928x

let me know if you need other information. I am open to all suggestions.

IS the router only broadcasting on one channel? Maybe your adapter is only seeking one channel which isn;'t strong enough to get you online.[/#000ff]

adambomb

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hey, sorry about the late response; just got back from a trip.

Actually, right after posting I tried changing the wireless channel from 1 to 8, and it didn't make a difference. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, though. I have auto channel disabled as well..should I change these settings?

There are obviously a lot of settings in the router that I am not sure about, but it makes me wonder why my laptop is the only one that has trouble, and only when I am at a certain distance.

I have MAC filtering on as well, but I don't see how that could be the issue, unless the physical address of my laptop changes with distance :p.

Thanks for the reply. Anything I should try? Additional information needed??

I would be inclined to enable auto-channel to see if that helps. Would need doing at both ends of the chain, of course, if the adapter end is configurable. I doubt MAC filtering could cause this but a static IP would eliminate the possibility.[/#000ff]

TRENDING THREADS