Sign in with
Your question

MY 1TB HARD DRIVE STOPPED I NEED HELP PLEAAASSSEEEE

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2012 6:11:48 PM

Hello,
I NEED HELP PLEASSSSEEEEE..MY 1 TB HARD DRIVE STOPPED READING ON MY MAC AND I HAVE SO MUCH IMPORTANT FOOTAGE THAT I NEED TO FINISH EDITING ASAP..THIS IS THE MESSAGE IM GETTING WHEN I TRY TO MOUNT IT VERIFY IT AND REPAIR IT CAN YOU HELP ME

Verifying volume “MWHITE”
Checking file system** /dev/disk1s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Unable to read FAT (Input/output error)
69412 files, 175913504 KiB free (5497297 clusters)

Verify and Repair volume “MWHITE”
Checking file system** /dev/disk1s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Unable to read FAT (Input/output error)
69412 files, 175913504 KiB free (5497297 clusters)
Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 8:05:33 PM

it says there is an i/o error. I would try the drive in another computer to see if you can recover the data.
July 4, 2012 9:35:31 PM

if it's a wd 1tb black drive, they have had tons of them sent back. There is a manufacturers defect (in my opinion). No, it hasn't been officially announced, but...when you look at on-line retailers, all of them have these drives available as "refurbished. That seems odd to me, unless there is a big issue with these. And, i had one myself give me issues lately. I fixed it though, by putting it in an external drive. After trying for hours to get it to repair, i finally gave up and deleted the existing partition. I then made a new partition, re-formatted and so far so good. but, I doubt if I will trust it very far. it was only 3 months old. Thankfully, I had a good system back-up to recover from. And yes..i am certain that it was not caused by a virus.
a b G Storage
July 4, 2012 9:44:52 PM

Guess it pays to make regular backups of sensitive data. Thank god I dont have any on my PC.
!