Solved

Need advice with 2 tb hdd as back up drive and partitioning

I have a 1 tb hdd as a storage drive and a ssd for my os. I recently purchased a 2 tb hdd to be both a data drive and back up. I am going to partition the drive into two 1 tb partitions and use one partition to back up the main 1 tb drive and one for data. If the main 1 tb data drive went out would I be able to restore the back up with the data partition on the same drive? I would like to streamline the process so if something were to happen, I can get my files back exactly the way they were.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice back drive partitioning
  1. I do something similar using a 1.5TB HDD. Single partition NTFS.

I just created a folder and copy all data from other hard disks on to this hard disk. Also use the same hard disk for backups.
  2. is that better than using windows back up? I believe windows back up won't let you access the files until they are restored. only manual back ups are a pain.
  3. Best answer
    nonaddictedgamer said:
    is that better than using windows back up? I believe windows back up won't let you access the files until they are restored. only manual back ups are a pain.

I do it both ways. One complete copy of the data directory every week (copy and paste). Windows backup every 2 weeks.

(Delete older data to make room for new data).
  4. Best answer selected by nonaddictedgamer.
  5. Thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Storage