Inspiron 7K keyboard weirdness

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 12:46:18 PM

Hi all,

I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar results
with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working all
right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so with
right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll lock
aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this problem.
Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have had
a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your time.
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W

---
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 2:16:23 PM

Louie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's
> acting weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu.
> Similar results with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side
> seems to be working all right. When I press the left arrow and/or up
> key I get a beep, not so with right or down key. I've checked and
> made sure the num lock and scroll lock aren't on and even went thru
> the Dell forums with no luck for this problem. Rechecked connections.
> Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have had a short. Could
> be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments? Thanks for your
> time.

Take another look at the ribbon connection to the mainboard. I have
ribbons that can look like they are fully inserted and centered, but can
move laterally a bit and can be fixed in that position when the ribbon
lock is in place (if there is a ribbon lock). If the ribbon lock is not
secured at both ends, the cable will remain loose also. It is easy to
push on one end of the lock and the other end will pop up leaving it
loose also.