Sign in with
Your question

Extremely slow upload speed compared to my download speed.

Tags:
  • Download
  • Tom's Hardware
  • Video
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 27, 2010 3:49:58 PM

Hello community of Tom's Hardware. I've used this site before for help with technology and y'all haven't let me down once.

My download speed is generally somewhere between 750 kb/s and 1.2 mb/s (If I download from Steam I get a much higher download speed.) The problem I'm having is that whenever I try to upload anything (Specifically videos to Megavideo, Youtube or any other video site) I only get about 30 kb/s upload speed. I know that my upload speed should be slower than my download speed (or at least that's what I've heard) but 700 kb/s slower doesn't seem right.

Any help is appreciated.

More about : extremely slow upload speed compared download speed

February 27, 2010 4:36:18 PM

My ISP provides 10mbps download, 768mbps upload. So the asymmetry can be quite extreme even under normal circumstances. Your ISP may simply be trying to minimize your ability to support services without having to upgrade your Internet service plan.

So it's impossible to say if this is or isn't normal unless you tell us what your ISP has promised with your current service plan. We minimally need that as a baseline before proceeding w/ further diagnostics.
March 5, 2010 9:49:14 AM

upload speed is generally slow as complared to download Speed ,but you need to contact your service provider
!