Unable to empty recycle bin ....

XP Pro SP2

I found a file called "loader.exe" within Temporary Internet Files, so
deleted it to the Recycle Bin. Further investigation showed this file as
being a potential virus anyway.

I then put a few more files into the bin (redundant shortcuts, old
documents I didn't want etc)

When i right clicked the recycle bin and went to empty it, I got the
message :

"Error deleting file or folder :
Cannot delete file : Cannot read from the source file or disk"

I went into the bin, and deleted all the files, 'manually'.

The bin icon then showed as 'empty'.

However, having just put another file in there i don't want, the bin
icon showed correctly as 'full', but when i go to empty the bin, i get
the above same message, except I note it asked if I want to delete 2
files - there is only one that I know of in there.

I have tried to "view all hidden and system files" but nothing shows up
in the bin except the files i know should be in there, i.e. the ones i
deleted.

Help!

[[No files may appear in the Recycle Bin if the files in the Recycled folder
are damaged.]]

Run Error Checking. Reboot. Try to empty the Recycle Bin again.

Error Checking (chkdsk.exe) in XP.
1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the drive you want to
check, and then click Properties.
2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
3. Select both boxes:

o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
system errors check box, and then click Start.

o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

For a peek at the log.
Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon

Also visit...
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Scroll down to...
Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MPG.1c62dc67ad07fdff989fc2@news.individual.net,
Tx2 <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> XP Pro SP2
>
> I found a file called "loader.exe" within Temporary Internet Files, so
> deleted it to the Recycle Bin. Further investigation showed this file
> as being a potential virus anyway.
>
> I then put a few more files into the bin (redundant shortcuts, old
> documents I didn't want etc)
>
> When i right clicked the recycle bin and went to empty it, I got the
> message :
>
> "Error deleting file or folder :
> Cannot delete file : Cannot read from the source file or disk"
>
> I went into the bin, and deleted all the files, 'manually'.
>
> The bin icon then showed as 'empty'.
>
> However, having just put another file in there i don't want, the bin
> icon showed correctly as 'full', but when i go to empty the bin, i get
> the above same message, except I note it asked if I want to delete 2
> files - there is only one that I know of in there.
>
> I have tried to "view all hidden and system files" but nothing shows
> up in the bin except the files i know should be in there, i.e. the
> ones i deleted.
>
> Help!

In article <e167jIOBFHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, 123WVogel955
@comcast.net, a.k.a Wesley Vogel says...

[...]

> Reboot.

Not being overly concerned about not being able to empty the RB (as it
could always be done via another method) the issue was put on the "to
do" pile.

However, 2 reboots later, having carried out no remedial action, it is
again functioning perfectly normal.

[shrugs]

SWAG. Autochk ran upon rebooting.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MPG.1c6455eac97a2c6c989fc9@news.individual.net,

In article <udCRVvaBFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, 123WVogel955

?

> Autochk ran upon rebooting

Not that I noticed ...

Silly Wild A** Guess.

Or just plain old rebooting did the trick, like you suggested.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User