Sign in with
Your question

Shut Down Menu

Last response: in Windows XP
February 7, 2013 11:50:36 PM

Hello,
What changed my shutdown menu to a dropdown menu and how do I change it back?

More about : shut menu

February 24, 2013 7:51:44 AM

I have the opposite problem, my shutdown drop down menu, (that I like best) changed to the shut down buttons, (which I really hate) by it's self. How do I get the drop down list back and get rid of the shut down buttons?
m
l
February 24, 2013 8:07:24 AM

For a nice FYI for those of us who still prefer Widows XP and who use the Hibernate feature and uses the shut down buttons. As we all know, you can use the hibernate by pressing the shift button on your shutdown button menu screen, which changes the [Stand By] button to a [Hibernate] button.
However for everyone who wants a Hibernate button to be added to the shut down button menu screen, so instead of the [Stand By], [Turn Off], and [Restart] buttons being the only ones that show up unless you press the shift button, with your text editor (WordPad works fine), Make a text file with the following text.......

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Shutdown]
"ShowHibernateButton"=dword:00000001

Save the text file as AddHibernate.reg, then double click the icon and follow the insert in the registery instructions and then when you go to your shut down button menu you will now see a button menu that has [Hibernate], [Stand By], [Turn Off], and [Restart] buttons.

If you are like me and like the drop down shut down menu, and you want to make the Hibernate option to be the auto default selection instead of it being the last on the list, make a text file with the following text in it....

"HibernateAsDefault"=dword:00000001

Save the text file as MakeHibernateDefault.reg, then double click the icon and follow the insert in the registery instructions and then when you go to your shut down drop down menu, the default highlighted selection will always start with the Hibernate highlighted.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 8:11:14 AM

It depends on that style you have set the logon page to. There are two types.

One you have to type your user name and password in a dialogue box like pre Windows 2000, and the other is where they have the list of usernames and you select yours to type your password in.
m
l
February 24, 2013 8:13:11 AM

versitalbear said:
For a nice FYI for those of us who still prefer Widows XP and who use the Hibernate feature and uses the shut down buttons. As we all know, you can use the hibernate by pressing the shift button on your shutdown button menu screen, which changes the [Stand By] button to a [Hibernate] button.
However for everyone who wants a Hibernate button to be added to the shut down button menu screen, so instead of the [Stand By], [Turn Off], and [Restart] buttons being the only ones that show up unless you press the shift button, with your text editor (WordPad works fine), Make a text file with the following text.......

"ShowHibernateButton"=dword:00000001

Save the text file as AddHibernate.reg, then double click the icon and follow the insert in the registery instructions and then when you go to your shut down button menu you will now see a button menu that has [Hibernate], [Stand By], [Turn Off], and [Restart] buttons.

If you are like me and like the drop down shut down menu, and you want to make the Hibernate option to be the auto default selection instead of it being the last on the list, make a text file with the following text in it....

"HibernateAsDefault"=dword:00000001

Save the text file as MakeHibernateDefault.reg, then double click the icon and follow the insert in the registery instructions and then when you go to your shut down drop down menu, the default highlighted selection will always start with the Hibernate highlighted.

This doesn't have anything to do with the current problem.
m
l
!