Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor standby stuck with new build

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2010 4:38:57 AM

Long story short I had a cheap new build (though good parts) that I put together tonight, but a nagging problem has been the monitor going into standby mode randomly.

To skip past the 3 hours I've spent searching on forums and such, I've already tried a different monitor, reset the BIOS to default settings, reset the RAM (when I put it in originally, it didnt click but 2nd time it did...thought it fixed it, stayed on for 1 hour 45 minutes) and I can't really remember what else.

Usually it will stay on for like 10-20 minutes and then the monitor will suddenly go into standby. Clicking the mouse and pressing a button on the keyboard does nothing, yet the PC is still on. (however say pressing "caps lock", the light will not change and if I re-connect the keyboard no lights on it light up) I've also set sleep and such to "never", though that couldn't be the problem anyways since the time before it went to standby, I was in bios.

Any ideas? Never encountered anything like it. Thank you!
May 20, 2010 1:45:21 PM

u try diff graphics card? might be bad video controler or card.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2010 7:47:37 PM

List parts, especially monitor.

Monitors should not standby in a system that is on. Make sure standby/sleep/hibernate/screensaver are disabled in your OS. Could simply be computer crashing to BlSOD every time it's trying to sleep/hibernate.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 8:28:02 PM

banthracis said:
List parts, especially monitor.

Monitors should not standby in a system that is on. Make sure standby/sleep/hibernate/screensaver are disabled in your OS. Could simply be computer crashing to BlSOD every time it's trying to sleep/hibernate.

Sorry, forgot to list the parts.

PQI POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD42GUOE60122019
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor Model SDX140HBGQBOX60122019
BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard60122019
HEC 6K28BBX585 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply60122019
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Dell Monitor (dunno what kind - but when the standby thing happened I hooked up my main acer monitor and same result)

Graphics card is onboard (RADEON HD 4200 I think) and when it goes into standby, sometimes I won't be doing anything but half the time I will be actively doing something or like when I first tried to install windows 7 it did it.

Also forgot to say at first, temps are not a problem. (CPU around 16-20 C, 23 at heavy load - others are well under what would be considered dangerous)

BTW for the graphics card thing - I do have a GeForce 6200 (old PCI format I think), should I try hooking that in to be used instead of the graphics card onboard - see if thats the issue?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2010 8:44:41 PM

Doesn't sound like a monitor issue.

Check the sleep/hibernate settings. Like I said, it could simply be BlSOD ing every time it tries to sleep/hibernate.

Are you using win 7 currently?

And yes you should try hooking up the Gforce and see what happens. Remember to disable the integrated GPU in the BIOS.
m
l
May 20, 2010 9:07:08 PM

banthracis said:
Doesn't sound like a monitor issue.

Check the sleep/hibernate settings. Like I said, it could simply be BlSOD ing every time it tries to sleep/hibernate.

Are you using win 7 currently?

And yes you should try hooking up the Gforce and see what happens. Remember to disable the integrated GPU in the BIOS.

Using Windows 7 though the standby thing happened during BIOS, or are you referring to the settings for that in bios?

As for the geforce, more bad luck. :p  PC wouldn't turn on, fan would start to spin for a sec and nothing - took it out and got to windows in like 5 seconds.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2010 9:32:15 PM

Make sure the Gefore is properly seated and if it needs further power pins, ie 6 pin or 8 pin plugged in (too lazy to look up atm =P). You also need to disabled integrated GPU in the BIOS first, then shut down and install the Gforce (just making sure you did it this way).

I was trying to eliminate the possibility that it was a software/driver issue, but if this happens even if you're in the BIOS, then it's not.

Another possibility is that it's a RAM issue and is causing you computer to crash after a certain period of time.

DL memtest and run it for at least 8 passes overnight. Well, actually, stand there and watch the first pass or 2, as it just might show up full of errors and proceed to crash 2 minutes in.

m
l
May 20, 2010 9:42:41 PM

banthracis said:
Make sure the Gefore is properly seated and if it needs further power pins, ie 6 pin or 8 pin plugged in (too lazy to look up atm =P). You also need to disabled integrated GPU in the BIOS first, then shut down and install the Gforce (just making sure you did it this way).

I was trying to eliminate the possibility that it was a software/driver issue, but if this happens even if you're in the BIOS, then it's not.

Another possibility is that it's a RAM issue and is causing you computer to crash after a certain period of time.

DL memtest and run it for at least 8 passes overnight. Well, actually, stand there and watch the first pass or 2, as it just might show up full of errors and proceed to crash 2 minutes in.

Ah I feel stupid, so the PC wont even turn on like that if you don't disable the integrated BIOS first? Never tried it before, I'll do that in a bit. (and it only runs on PCI slot, no power pins)

I was wondering about the RAM too, I just ran memtest for a bit but I was too anxious to wait. :p  I'll run it tonight and see how it goes.

EDIT: Tried that with the graphics card, same problem and tried re-putting it in. Did have one restart, dont know if it was cause of windows update or random. (though it didnt restart properly)
m
l
May 21, 2010 12:31:11 PM

Okay well the memtest didn't last long. Last time I was on, PC lasted like an hour but before I went to bed I watched it for a few minutes and turned off the monitor. I turned it on a few minutes later right before going to bed and it had done the standby thing.

I do have old memory from my old PC, though it may just be normal DDR SDRAM. Anything else I can try?
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
May 21, 2010 2:32:25 PM

Well I''m not familiar with Biostar boards, as I've always considered them too low quality, but usually if you have integrated GPU enabled, AND a discrete card plugged in, you get issues.

Sit there for 1 pass and watch it. See if ton's of errors pop up before it crashes. If your RAM doesn't have errors then swapping won't help.

Also, if you do swap, make sure that MOBO actually supports DDR RAM, and if so, if any BIOS setting changes are necessary.

If the RAM looks fine, then we'll have to move on to the PSU. Find a PSU known to work, from another comp or borrow and plug it in and see what happens.
May 21, 2010 9:59:29 PM

banthracis said:
Well I''m not familiar with Biostar boards, as I've always considered them too low quality, but usually if you have integrated GPU enabled, AND a discrete card plugged in, you get issues.

Sit there for 1 pass and watch it. See if ton's of errors pop up before it crashes. If your RAM doesn't have errors then swapping won't help.

Also, if you do swap, make sure that MOBO actually supports DDR RAM, and if so, if any BIOS setting changes are necessary.

If the RAM looks fine, then we'll have to move on to the PSU. Find a PSU known to work, from another comp or borrow and plug it in and see what happens.

Yeah normally I wouldn't go with biostar, but it had good reviews on newegg and it was a real cheap build (my normal PC I went with better brands).

I'll check that stuff out - so you don't think it could be the motherboard itself? (or are you simply wanting to rule out everything if possible leaving only the motherboard as the possible cause?)
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 21, 2010 11:01:22 PM

I usually leave the MOBO as the last component to test as it's the most annoying to swap out.

Let me know how the RAM and PSU tests go.
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:57:29 PM

banthracis said:
I usually leave the MOBO as the last component to test as it's the most annoying to swap out.

Let me know how the RAM and PSU tests go.

Well the RAM memtest went well - after doing it after 2 minutes, the 2nd attempt lasted like 59 minutes and went 2 1/2 passes without error.

So before I went to bed I'd figure I'd take out a PSU to just give it a shot and left the PC on all night and when I woke up, it was still on. :)  (and still is now) As a precaution I want to leave it on until tomorrow to make sure, but looks like the problem.

Just need to figure out how to only RMA the PSU on newegg. (hopefully there's a way) Thanks for the help! Very much appreciated it.
m
l
May 24, 2010 3:14:00 AM

Best answer selected by charliepage88.
m
l
!