Help me decide on a case

guggas

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Ok guys, I've never been one to put any money into a case. I've always gotten the cheapest case I could find and put my money into the other components. However as my current case is falling apart, I'm in the market for a new one and I want to get something nice.

I want something with good cable management options and filters to help keep the inside clean. I don't want anything flashy. The lian-li cases seem to appeal to me however i've never seen one in person.

Two cases I'm considering:

(1) LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154

(2) LIAN LI PC-7FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112249

I like both of these cases, I like the fact that the pc-7fn has a bottom mounted psu, it just seems like a much better layout to me. However the fact that the pc-7fn is all aluminum scares me, because I think the aluminum might be weaker, I know that aluminum is considered better, but why? because its lighter? Well, I don't move my case that much and when I do, I dont't think omg its too heavy! I know also that the aluminum conducts heat better, I don't usally have problems with heat though. I have a prety low heat system and I don't overclock much. However it seems the overall quality of the pc-7fn is better and I might be willing to pay for that, but im not sure.
The pc-k7b has everthing I would want exept the bottom mounted psu, and its $30 cheaper after shipping.
Is the Pc-7fn worth the extra money? I know this is largely subjective so I'm just asking for opinions, there are probably no wrong answers here.
Thanks dudes!!

Other specs:

Phenom II 945 quad core 3.0 ghz
am2+ mobo
4gb ddr2 gskill ram
Vapor x hd5770
samsung spinpoint f3 500gb

AMW1011

Distinguished
Stick with the Lian Lis, you've picked quality, no reason to go cheap now. Honestly, you won't fully appreciate that case until you have it in front of you, then you will understand. Since you want quality and your not worried about extreme cooling, you've picked the right cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099&Tpk=pc-7b

I recommend that one, its a really beautiful case. This sight's pictures does it more justice:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_104&products_id=2709

Once again, you won't truly understand the quality look and feel of a Lian Li case without having it in front of you.

The benefits of aluminum are its heat tranfer, lightness of weight, and looks. Also note that this Lian Li case, like most of them, is handmade out of airplane grade aluminum, so don't worry about it breaking it will be incredibly sturdy.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Just depends what you want out of your case I think. I agree with the other posts for the most part. An antec case might work just fine for you or the lian li could be exactly what you want. It really comes down to what you want from your case. If you are looking for function mostly, then you probably are better off with the antec. If you are looking for a little more style, then lian li. I have a part plastic part steel case that is heavier than a mother. It's from my first build probably eight years ago. Works fine still, only that and my keyboard weren't replaced on my last build when the gtx 280 came out. I am going to be purchasing the silver x900 from lian li in the next few weeks though. I want something with all of the tool less features and the amazing beauty of the lian li's and I do want it a little lighter because I lan probably six times a year, and I want something that will make my friends say wow. The antec 300 is not going to make my friends say wow and I'm not going to buy an antec 300 from Walmart with plans to use it for the next eight to ten years. The lian li gets the wow and I'd certainly plan to use it for the next build or two after this. Function priority, get something like the antec 300. Want a little something special, pick out an all aluminumm lian li.

lenoxlv

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
NZXT Hades.

good things
1. Great airflow
2. Dust Filters
3. The front door is made from mesh
4. Bottom mounted PSU
5. Shows 3 temps on a display on the front panel
6. Wire management behind the motherboard tray
7. Any graphics card will fit into Hades

bad things

1. Can`t install a big aftermarket cooler for the CPU
2. The front doors only opens 90 degrees and only to the right side

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146064&Tpk=NZXT%20Hades

AMW1011

Distinguished
Oh yes, your airplane grade aluminum case is stronger than my steel Antec 300....NOT.

How could you worry about breaking your case??? Are you planning on dropping it off a 3 story building? In that case you have more to worry about like HDD's.

I got news for you AMW, steel is stronger than aluminumj, aircraft grade or not.

I got news for you, I never F&^king said otherwise. Aluminum is a mailable metal, obviously. Lian Li uses very high quality aluminum which can survive the folds that give it strength along with the rigid structure. I was explaining to him why it is not fragile.

Never did I say that it is stronger than your Antec 300, though it may well be, but an all aluminum case can be like my TJ07. My TJ07 can take 200-300 pounds of pressure on top of it, your little thin steel Antec won't.

Learn to read.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Oh, temper temper, your immaturity is showing.....Well if your a fat little kid and you want to sit on your computer, then that's great, get yourself a aircraft grade Lian Li and pay twice as much for inferiority and a name. LOL

I'm not saying that it holds a purpose, I'm pointing out that your point on steels supposed superiority over aluminum in structural strength is a bad one as it has more to do with design and the build quality. I'll be the first to admit that being able to put that much weight on my case is completely useless, but it does prove my concept.

I would like to know how my Silverstone TJ07 is inferior to your Antec 300, but then again I really don't care. The Antec 300 is a great case for the money and I've used 3 of them in different builds, but it certainly isn't the best case out there and the Lian Li's improve on some of their short comings, though the 300 has its own advantages like anything else.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Except you recommended a barebones budget gaming case, which, while nice at the price point, has barely any options on it versus the premium cases he was looking at with better fans, better layouts, filters, cable management, annodized interiors, and made from aluminum which cools better.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Actually the Antec 300 comes with 1 120mm fan and 1 140mm top fan, 3 speed fan controllers, great layout, bottom psu mount, cable management, washable filters, and cpu cutout.

There is also the Antec 300 Illusion, which comes with 4 fans: 1 120mm exhaust fan, a 140mm top exhaust fan and two blue LED 120mm intake fans and its $54.99 after rebate on newegg :)

LianLi (not lancool) cases are pricey but they are worth it the moment you look at one personally.. No other case manufacturer comes close to them when you consider build quality and design (silverstone might be the closest competitor).. But again, their pricing might not suit to everyoner liking.. More so if you are in the look out for a gaming case and need it to be flashy.. The Antec 300 is an awesome case for its price with good cooling and pretty neat looks.. Steel vs aluminium is altogether a different debate so lets not go that direction.. It seems like OP can afford the PC 7FN so personally i'll recommend that..

AMW1011

Distinguished
My god, can zipzoomflyhigh troll this thread anymore? Now fan LEDs are for girls... I'm so glad his opinions are facts. /s

The Antec 300 is a good case, so are the Lian Li's. The Lian Li's are what the OP wants.

OP, get the PC-7FN or the PC-7B plus II, they are both great cases.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I offered a suggestion at a better price to the OP. If you don't like, too bad, leave kid.

I don't care, buy all the led's you want. That's what kids do. Why not try pink?

No, actually with the Illusion you are getting more for less than the regular Antec 300.

The Antec 300 @ wallmart you suggested is $59.82 and only has two fans.

antec300.png

The Antec 300 Illusion I suggested, has nothing to do with LEDs. It has to do with the fact that it is:
A) cheaper than the one you suggested. $54.99
B) comes with 4 fans.
C) even after the shipping fee on newegg, which brings it to ~$5 more than your suggestion you are getting two more 120MM fans which definitely help with cooling.

antec300illusion.png

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
.....and then you pay $10 shipping.....

See point C) above the second picture.

C) even after the shipping fee on newegg, which brings it to ~$5 more than your suggestion you are getting two more 120MM fans which definitely help with cooling .

and those two extra 120mm fans that come with the Illusion definitely cost more than ~$5.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Well you need at least one intake and one exhaust. The the two fans which come with the other case are both exhaust fans. And no, the top exhaust fan is 140mm and can not be placed in the front as an intake.

In any case you'd have to be down right stubborn not to put $5 into having a better cooling solution. It would cost you at least that much to buy one additional intake fan and end up with 3 total fans for the same price or (more likely) more $$$ for that single fan.

...Do the math...

...~$5 more + 2 120mm intake fans... doesn't take a genius...

AMW1011

Distinguished
You don't need an intake fan, the very negative cooling will pull cool air from the outside. This is why extremely negative cases tend to be quieter, you can forgo more fans, while a positive pressure system needs exhausts to keep warm air from being trapped.

I do agree though, get the extra fans for $5 and if the LEDs annoy you cut the damn wire like Antec 900 users have been doing for years.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I had only exhaust fans at first and my temps dropped only after adding an intake fan. Cool air coming in and warm air flowing out helped my situation.

If according to you:
you don't need an intake fan, the very negative cooling will pull cool air from the outside.
why get the extra fans? Just wondering.

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
@ I totally agree with your suggestion, considering the price factor. I would go for other solutions, but that would take the case price to ~$200, so your suggestion seems to be the most reasonable - from one of the best builders in the industry.

"You do not need intake fans"...?????

IS this a hardware forum or are some of you ppl trying to apply for some comedy gig? That is probably the stupidest "joke" I've ever heard. RIDICULOUS...

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Yeah if you want budget cooling I guess you don't need intake fans, but anyone with a half decent computer and any type of OC will be running a real case with intakes and exhaust. Not to mention how absolutely dirty and dusty a case like that would get.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah ok, whatever you say. :lol: You have no idea about passive intake. For every action, there's a reaction, so for a fan to exhaust 105cfm it has to pull in 105cfm, and you don't need fans to do this, it will pull it's own air. Same reason why laptops do not have intake fans, they have an intake port, and an exhaust fan. Same reason a psu doesn't need an intake fan, only an exhaust fan. :sarcastic:

While this is correct, it fails to hit on a very important factor; airflow. As you say, if 105CFM is exhausted another 105CFM must be taking in to the case, otherwise the case would "implode" form the vacuum. That said, the amount of air is only half the battle, the rest is where that air goes. All fans are positioned in certain locations to maximize the heat dissipation over the hot computer components. Take the classic example, a front intake fan near the bottom of the case intakes air and a higher up fan in the rear exhaust the air. This makes the air travel over most of the motherboard area including the GPU and CPU.

Also, the amount of air exhausted will be far lower in a case with passive air intake, because there simply is less air to intake. This only works so much, a 10-20% decrease for example, but it is a factor.

So as I said before, intakes fans aren't necessary, but they are good for maximizing airflow.