Core i7 Build Stalls on Boot -- Help!

vipervin

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I have an i7 860 installed on an EVGA P55 FTW that stalls on boot. I hit the power button, mobo lights up, fans spin, then it stalls and turns off (mobo lights are still on), then 3 seconds later, it fires back up and continues to post.

This is driving me nuts because I can't figure what is causing the issue.

I actually had an Asus P7P55D-E first. I thought it was a defective board, so I returned it and got the EVGA. Well.. that didn't help.

I have tried both my brand new Enermax 720W PSU and my old Antec 320W PSU. Both do the same thing.

I then took out my 8800GT GPU, disconnected all the fans, and just left the CPU and memory. Still no luck.

Then I took the memory out, and it works. But I have 2 x 2GB modules, so I tried each one individually... no luck.

I took a video of it in action (sorry couldn't upload to YouTube for some reason): http://www.mediafire.com/?womfwo3zdjg

I'm really stuck now. Can the memory or CPU be causing the stall?

Solution
^ PC stalling can also be an issue of the unstable components...You can also try updating the firmware of the mobo, and also the drivers...

vipervin

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Just tried bread boarding and that made it worse. It stalled three times before it posted.

This issue has been happening on both my Asus mobo I returned and this new EVGA board.

And not to forget the BIOS settings...see if they are set to auto/ default...

Yup, they are all on default. Cleared the CMOS a few times.

So yeah... this is really driving me nuts now!

vipervin

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Did some more searching around the EVGA forum and looks like you are correct. The first rev of that board reboots after 3-5 seconds to sync up the Bclock. But a BIOS update apparently got rid of that "feature." So I'm going to try updating tomorrow.