SSD BATTLE 64GB: M4CRUCIAL VS VERTEX4

pimentel

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
:pt1cable: Hey guys!
i need a good ssd, 64gb. :bounce:

i come across the m4crucial that is very prefered by most people... but a few time ago, the OCZ vertex4 went into the market!!!! :non:
its the war of titans, does the m4 found real competition? :heink:

what is better? :eek: if you guys now any other ssd as good as these for the same price(under 80€) let me know about plz :cry:

THANK YOU ;)
ill apreciate any suport! :hello:

PS: i like smiles :kaola:

Sephypoo73

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
OCZ has some of the worst customer service/RMA support I have ever experienced... throw in the fact that their first few Vertex's had high failure rates and I doubt I could be persuaded to buy anything from them instead of Crucial or Corsair when it's the same price.

yes. well. you can like smilies all you want. its a great way to turn people off replying to your posts.

I would not recommend a 64GB SSD. all an SSD will do is improve boot times, which is irrelevant with sleep mode, and load times. but there is no space on the SSD for other programs. they are extremely over rated.

that being said Intel, Samsung, and crucial are the good SSDs and Intel is overpriced. Samsung is on top, and crucial is a good SSD at a good price.

I would not touch ocz or any SSDs using sandforce

Sephypoo73

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Sorry Unksol, but SSD's DO greatly impact loading times... and by quite a considerable amount. Install Adobe CS or World of Warcraft on your SSD, then on a mechanical drive... you'll see the difference.

Are they worth the money? Maybe... However if you have the money it's a nice upgrade to improve real world performance.

I should state for most people. they have zero real impact on boot if you just use sleep mode.

they obviously have a huge impact on load times, and you listed 2 perfect examples. my games? minor benefit. but my main point was I wouldn't recommend a 64GB drive that most people only use for boot, as windows can use sleep mode to better effect. you almost need a larger drive to be able to put all your apps that would really benefit from the load time.

Sephypoo73

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Well that's true I guess, I don't know why anybody gets small SSD's to shave some seconds off of Window's loading screens only to continuously juggle where they save data and install apps... I prefer my 128GB, smallest I could possibly recommend.

exactly. I've actually only considered the 256GB M4 and 830, although I could make a 128GB work with steam mover. but other priorities LOL.

I think people need to be more thoughtful when choosing SSDs, than just OMG toms said SSDs are needed. it depends on your apps, and just today someone was up who was severely dissapointed by his SSD, instead of something that would have helped him like a better gpu.

Sephypoo73

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Yeah... realistically it's for people with very few upgrade options like in laptops... or for people with a bunch of extra money and a bad HDD bottleneck on their gaming rig.

yea... I'd bend over backwards to have an SSD in my work laptop. it crawls some days, boot can take forever, and the full drive encryption can be murder.

pimentel

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

I would like to install the OS, the office, drivers, browser, and bf3 to fast acsses. is this a good idea?

Scrap the 64GB SSD idea, save up more money and at least go for a 128GB version. You don't want to be micro managing your SSD all the time do you?

SSD's are already below 1$/GB (crucial m4 comes to mind) and for a lot of people thats quite acceptable (including me) for the benefits you receive.

Heck, if you can wait long enough, there are usually sweet deals on Crucial M4 SSD's in the 128-256GB Range. You just have to take a look at the Tomshardware front page every once in a while and look for "deals" in the latest news.

pimentel

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

hey, is saw your gear, tell me, how much fps do u get with bf3??? or skyrim, metro, couse i also want to buy those components...

I don't play BF3, or metro. However I do have and played Crysis (1), SC2, D3.

Crysis I get a solid 60FPS at 1920x1080P resolution with everything maxed out.

Same with SC2 as well as D3.

What happened to the SSD? lol.

pimentel

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

i don't care, im still buying one, i know i won't regret... 64GB FTW

pimentel

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

i know, but i have limited budget, and 128ssd would mess the all the components price...
so.... its better one ssd thsan no ssd :)