PSU 8 pin vs 4 pin.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Hey guys I built my HTPC today and I'm no POSTing :(

No case speaker either, I should really get one of those.

My question is this:

I have an OCZ 600W Modular PSU. The non-modular cables are the 20+4, an 8 pin and a 4 pin. My ASUS motherboard only has a 4 pin for the CPU. So I assumed that the 4 pin from the PSU goes into that hole. Every other motherboard I've used, has an 8 pin for the CPU.

So my question is this, was that 4-pin intended for a 4 pin CPU plug? Or should I split the 8 Pin and only use 1 4 pin-half?

I hope this makes sense. But now I'm thinking that maybe the 4 pin from the PSU was intended for something else.

The modular cables are Molex 4-pin, SATA and 2 PCI-E 6 pin cable strings.

Any thoughts?

Solution

I took a...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Bump. Just wanted to clarify.

When the motherboard has only a 4 pin CPU power plug, and your PSU has a 4+4 and a 4 pin, is it ok to just use the 4 pin?

I ran through the NO-POST checklist, but without a speaker I stop short of completing it.

I took a look at the specs for that PSU and it looks like it does indeed have a 4 pin and a separate 8 pin. This is unusual but they are both labeled as cpu power. Since your motherboard has a 4 pin, it makes no difference which cable you use.

Solution

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Just an update as I was at work this whole time. I came home and CANN'd my 955 BE out of my 1200 case and slaved it into my HTPC, POSTed immediately. So yeah, the 920 I thought I fried 2 months ago? Definately fried, got a x3 Athlon II being shipped as we speak. Thanks for the reassurance Falcon!