6-pin pci-e power cord

Hey guys,

Bought a Modular Seasonic PSU about 3 years ago along with the rest of my system including an 8800GT video card. Not thinking much about upgrading, after completing my build, i threw away all the accessories including extra cables. DOH!!!

Well, just last week, I bought a Nvidia GTX460 which requires 2 6-pin connectors. I have been unable to find a male/male 6-pin power connector to go from my PSU to my VC. Newegg has a female/male cable. I also tried ebay but come up with mostly adapters. Before i contact Seasonic, anyone know where i can get a male/male connector?

Thanks
18 answers Last reply
More about power cord
  1. Did your GTX 460 come with a 2x moles 4 pin to 1 PCI-e 6 pin adapter cable?
    You can use that to get the card up and running.
  2. Hmmmmm..... unless the extra molex cable also were thrown out.

Google isn't turning up anything other than a generic 'you can make your own' suggestion.
    Also a suggestion to look for 'retired' or broken modular PSUs and salvage a cable.
  3. I did find the 2x moles 4 pin to 6 pin adapter cable. I would need 2 4-pin mole outputs from my PSU in order to supply sufficient enough power to the 6 pin plug correct? It's been a while since i've built this computer and honestly forget alot about building in general. I always thought the 4-pin moles were reserved for lower power consumption accessories.

Spent the past 1/2 hour gutting my computer and I did manage to find a hardwired (from the PSU) 8-pin plug. I see there is an 8pin to 6-pin+2pin. I guess i can use that and leave 2-pin dangle or cut it off?
  4. sillywabbit said:
    I guess i can use that and leave 2-pin dangle or cut it off?
    Yes you can - it should dangle just fine. No need to cut.
  5. Can you tell is that is a CPU EPS 8 pin or a PCI-e 8 pin power connector?
  6. Not sure how i would tell but looking at it reveals

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

Pins 1,4,6,7 are square
    2,3,5,8 are odd shaped if that helps
  7. Not knowing exactly how to tell, I would say that it is a PCI-e connector, since I have never heard of a CPU that requires 6 pins of power. Some need only 4 pins, most motherboards now use 8 pins, and the highest end i7 boards use 2x 8 pin, but I have never heard of a 6 pin to a CPU. Just a common sense answer, feel free to disregard it.

"I always thought the 4-pin moles were reserved for lower power consumption accessories."

You'd be surprised how much power a 4 pin molex can (and will) provide.
  8. Good thing newegg keeps your order history. Looked up the PS model # and went on Seasonic's website. Looks like that 8-pin is an EPS 12V 8P
  9. Are you sure? I have never heard of a motherboard that needs a 6-pin power connection to it. Feel free to correct me.
  10. This connector is for a new video card i got not the motherboard. The video card requires 2 6-pin connectors. I picked up this from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706025
    8-pin EPS to 6-pin+2pin PCI cable

Here is the link to my PSU to show the 8-pin cord:

http://www.seasonicusa.com/m12.htm

The diagram shows an EPS 12v 8-pin
  11. Sorry, you said the connector that you had found from the PSU was a 6+2 pin.

"I did manage to find a hardwired (from the PSU) 8-pin plug. I see there is an 8pin to 6-pin+2pin."

That sounded to me like you had found a 6+2 connector hardwired from the PSU. Now you have said that it is an "EPS 12V 8P" which is a connector type that is used to power the CPU, and connects to the motherboard.

I was just confused as to why a 6+2 would be from an EPS connector. Looking at the Newegg link I see that you have used an 8pin EPS to 6+2pin PCI-e adapter. Thanks for the clarification.

The adapter should make it perfectly safe to use with a 6pin input graphics card.

About the Molex again, you could probably plug the adapter into 2 molex connectors on the same strand and have it work properly, but I'm not sure. I have no experience in that area.
  12. My bad - too many background distractions around here for me to type coherently. Thanks for confirming the adapter is correct. Submitting my order now :)
  13. sillywabbit;
    Which CPU aux power connector do you have plugged into your motherboard? 4 pin ATX or 8pin EPS?
  14. My thinking is if you already have the eight pin EPS CPU aux power plugged into your motherboard that hardwired 8-pin plug you found is going to be a PCI-e power lead.

edit;
    OK, the Seasonic website clearly shows its the EPS 8pin aux power lead that is hard wired to the PSU. Which means your MB is using the ATX 4 pin.

And that EPS to PCI-e adapter is the right part.
  15. sillywabbit said:
    My bad - too many background distractions around here for me to type coherently. Thanks for confirming the adapter is correct. Submitting my order now :)

That's fine, just glad we got everything worked out.
  16. I have to give props to Seasonic. I e-mailed them explaining the situation and asked if i could purchase the 6-pin power cord. They e-mailed me back asking me for my address and shipped it to me that day free of charge.
  17. +1 for Seasonic!
  18. Sounds like a repeat customer in the making.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies PCI Express Components Product