Sign in with
Your question

PCI-E 6 pin to molex

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2010 4:45:18 PM

Hey, this has been driving me crazy for a bit and i cannot find out the answer. Hopefully you guys can help!

Awhile back ago I've purchased an eVGA 8800gts. It supplied me with 2 PCI-E Power adapter. The adapter was split into two giving me two molex connector going into one 6pin PCI-E. So when I hooked the PCI-E power adapter to my video card I only plugged in one molex to the adapter and left the other one unplugged. It's been running like this for about 2 years.

Would this cause any issues? I've heard you need to plug in both molex from the adapter to get enough power to the video card.

More about : pci pin molex

a c 1410 U Graphics card
April 18, 2010 5:05:01 PM

It is recommended to plug 2 molex in to supply enough power apparently your PSU has enough power on that rail not to create issue.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
April 18, 2010 5:51:40 PM

unknown85 said:
Hey, this has been driving me crazy for a bit and i cannot find out the answer. Hopefully you guys can help!

Awhile back ago I've purchased an eVGA 8800gts. It supplied me with 2 PCI-E Power adapter. The adapter was split into two giving me two molex connector going into one 6pin PCI-E. So when I hooked the PCI-E power adapter to my video card I only plugged in one molex to the adapter and left the other one unplugged. It's been running like this for about 2 years.

Would this cause any issues? I've heard you need to plug in both molex from the adapter to get enough power to the video card.

it depends on the card, I ran both a 9600GT and 9800GT with just one plug in but both don't need a lot of power. If there has not been an issue in two years, then there is no need to change now.
m
l
April 18, 2010 6:25:34 PM

Thank you both for your input. I can finally put my mind at ease.
m
l
!