amplex007

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi, I'm starting to plan out my next system build, but I'm having a hard time choosing a CPU. Right now I have an AMD 3.1 GHz Dual Core, and I'm looking for something that will perform better in games. I've been looking at the Athlon II X4 635, which is an AMD quad-core 2.9 GHz. Despite having a lower speed, would this perform better? I mainly play newer games (Dragon Age, Fallout 3, etc.), and I have no interest in overclocking. Furthermore, if you want to recommend other AMD CPU's under $150, please feel free.

Thanks for your help!

Timop

Distinguished
Which 3.1Ghz do you have? Phenom II X2 555, the Athlon 64 X2 6000+, or the Athlon II X2 255?

With an A64X2, the 635/440 would perform quite a bit better.

Though with the other 2, you will actually decrease performance by a bit in select games and only see a real performance gain in CPU intensive games like GTA, BFBC2, etc.

Whats the Graphics card you chose?

ares1214

Splendid
its on an am2+ system i assume. see, in that case, id recommend upgrading the gpu. the gpu is what really affects gaming performance, and you wont see a MASSIVE jump in performance going from that to a x4 635. Also, id rather get a good gpu with the 150$, wait till the end of the year, and then upgrade to whatever intel and amd have out, BD and SB.

Timop

Distinguished

ares1214

Splendid
the only problem with that is that he would also have to buy a new motherboard and ram. and he can still OC it a little bit, any extra is always helpful. but for 150$, id say buy that video card now, wait till the end of the year to buy a new cpu and motherboard/RAM.

Timop

Distinguished

Nope, as long as he has a halfway decent board that supports AM3, he'll be fine.
The 945 has a DDR2 controller in it as well.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

AMD is Releasing a Phenom II x6 1045T that overclock 3 used cores by 500mhz while underclocking the other unused 3 to 800mhz! All within the 95Watts limit. Will be released sometime in august or september! around $200 6 cores !

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

don't u like intel......?

Timop

Distinguished

Isnt that what the 1055T is already?

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

personally who is gonna need those 6 cores.. there r hardly any applications and games they use them..... what's the point on spending so much?

amplex007

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Whoops, I just realized I posted the graphics card I have now, rather than the one I was planning on getting. I haven't really decided on a GPU yet, I just wanted to make sure that I find a CPU that's at least as good as my current one at playing games.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Would Say Any CPU Thats A Dual-Core Or Better That Is At-Least 2.6 GHz, And Beyond That The CPU Dosent Matter THAT Much, What Matters MOST Is The Amount Of RAM (Nowadays I Wouldnt Reccomend Anything LESS Than 4GB) And Your Graphics Card. Look At My Specs, I Have NO Problem Running ANY Game On The Shelf Today.

Id Say Go With An AMD CPU And Use The $$ Save By Buying A Non-Intel CPU For Other "Goodies" Such As RAM And A Better Graphics Card.

Youd Never Notice The Differance Between Any AMD Or Intel CPU As-Long As My Reccomendation Above Is Followed. I Will GAURAUNTEE It.

ares1214

Splendid
while that is somewhat true, normal users wont notice the difference between much of anything, but sometimes an intel vs cheap amd cpu can be minutes saved of downloading something. Thats why though, IMO, at most budgets, AMD is better for gaming, as you have the lower temps and power consumption, and so you can get low temps and a lower psu, and you can spend it all on the GPU, which really matters for gaming.