Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suitable Soundcard For Current Equipment

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2010 7:39:11 PM

I have been looking at getting a sound card for a while now. I've been thinking about getting the Essence STX after doing some reading. I am looking to gear this more towards audio and entertainment. As for gaming, I don't really care much. I have a pair of headphones, the HD 595, and according to a friend, I don't really need the amp on the STX to drive it. I'm also looking at getting a pair of 2.1 speakers since I'll be living in a dorm and I need space.

So before I go ahead and order, it would be nice to hear some opinions. Maybe there are sound cards more suitable out there given my situation? Thanks.
July 25, 2010 2:06:01 AM

Well that's a first class card and might be overkill the D2X would probably suffice.
For speakers the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 would be my recommendation.
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:33:38 AM

I'll still recommend you get the Essence.. You may not need all its features for now but in future you might.. Moreover, a sound card is primarily geared towards sound quality and the Essence is the best you can get for the purpose..
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2010 9:49:32 AM

You would need speakers with RCA inputs to really take advantage of the Essense STX's. The minijack output comparatively has much worse specs, not to mention, resides outside of the EMI shroud on the sound card so functionally it's a secondary output.
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:04:12 AM

Thanks for the opinions so far, but has anyone had experience with the Razer Mako so far? How is it with music?
m
l
July 26, 2010 7:38:15 AM

leongyh said:
Thanks for the opinions so far, but has anyone had experience with the Razer Mako so far? How is it with music?

Its a good consideration for casual music listeners and gamers.. However i feel it is overpriced.. And if we consider only music, the audioengine A5 will easily beat it when it comes to sound quality..
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:00:57 PM

Emperus said:
Its a good consideration for casual music listeners and gamers.. However i feel it is overpriced.. And if we consider only music, the audioengine A5 will easily beat it when it comes to sound quality..

:)  it dont.

if u were gonna get A5 get the m-audio av-40. still not as good as mako, but its very ncie to listen to.
m
l
July 27, 2010 8:36:58 PM

Still eye-ing the Mako. The A5 is more expensive than the Mako. Any more speaker recommendations? My budget is still around the 200 range.
m
l

Best solution

July 27, 2010 8:43:24 PM

i have the mako, and its very good for music, games, and espescially for movies,

bass is not as loud as logitechs, buit its very tight and can go qute deep, the amplifier on the mako are also very clean

stereo imaging is good, sometimes if u hear music, the music seems wider then it seems, so sounds from the left are way over the left, and right is way over to teh right, so u get that big soundstage.

midrange was, at first a bit of a let down, but after using the speakers at good volume the midrange and the treble all lvled out.
July 27, 2010 8:43:43 PM

my denon bookshelfs are still a bit better :) 
m
l
July 27, 2010 9:09:50 PM

I'm currently using the HT Claro Halo in an HTCP that is connected to a Yamaha amp + bose 7.1 speakers and I im lovin it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for a dual speaker setup the STX or equivalent is overkill, you can get by with something cheaper but if you want the best of the best then I guess I can't blame you =)
m
l
August 6, 2010 1:46:14 AM

Best answer selected by leongyh.
m
l
!