Sign in with
Your question

Need HELP buying a new PSU, Please

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2010 8:10:47 PM

Hello

I have an IBM Think Center M51 (8143-2EU Model), which has a 300 w. PSU (stock). A few months ago, I plugged a GeForce 7800 GTX into the system, it currently draws it's power from the PCI-E (ONLY). At present time this system has a Pentium 4 HT 530 (I would like to upgrade this to Pentium 4 HT 630).

The PSU has non standard measurements, the maximum this unit can provide on the +12V rail (it has only one) is 17A :??:  (I know that the GTX requires 18A to operate with ease).

What PSU could I use on this system (?

Thanks

More about : buying psu

a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 8:22:31 PM

what are the "non standard measurements"?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 8:59:19 PM

Get it right people, its "ThinkCentre"! XD
The M51 appears to be using a standard ATX PSU though.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 9:07:13 PM

thats what it looked like to me. verify that vider?

m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 9:12:59 PM

If it works with the GTX and the 530, why won't it work with the GTX and the 630? The 5xx and 6xx series are the same, but the 6xx runs slightly cooler. (65nm instead of 90) If anything, it should run better on the 630.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 9:24:05 PM

i think he is talking about the video card over whelming it, and that he wants to upgrade the cpu, correct?
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 9:49:50 PM

To me it sounds like he has the 7800GTX already. Its no problem (power wise) to go from the 530 to the 630 as the 630 is a more power efficient CPU. There shouldn't be a difference in speed so it make no $$$ sense to "upgrade" to this CPU. Nor should one keep throwing money at a P4 system. But looking purely at the power usage, this is fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 10:00:54 PM

Quote:
The PSU has non standard measurements, the maximum this unit can provide on the +12V rail (it has only one) is 17A :??:  (I know that the GTX requires 18A to operate with ease).

what is holding you back power wise? and yeah, dont pour money into a dead system
m
l
July 30, 2010 10:24:20 AM

Sorry for the hold up guys, thanks for taking a look at it!

Ok, So within this week (hopefully even by today), I will upload a picture to show you all what I meant by saying "non standard".

@ares1214:
You have got it half right.

@4745454b:
You too have got it almost right, but not quiet.

Here's how it is, at present, the GPU is already set into the PCI-E slot. The additional power cord that has to be attached to the card to provide the additional necessary power is not, look at the picture in this PDF (this is the model I have in my PC right now), do you see the power plug on the PCB, that's what I'm talking about.

Now, what I want to do is to upgrade the CPU from 530 to 630 (Prescott 2M), the deal is that I'm afraid that if I do so (630 and the card getting the additional power from the current stock PSU), the PSU will just crash (and that might bring other components down with it). I need a PSU that could fit into my case and provide enough power to both the upgraded CPU and the current GPU (that is with the additional power being plugged to it).

I need this system for the time being, I can afford my self a PSU upgrade but not a whole system buy. It will be used for some light gaming, HD playback (GPU, using DXVA) and for running Autocad 2009-2011, Catia and Solid Works.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 30, 2010 10:31:35 PM

its a p4 (based on the netburst microarchitecture)...
netburst really sucks :)  clock-for-clock, it was power-hungry, inefficient, and much slower than the equivalent amd system. both the amd athlon xp and the athlon 64 beat the crap out of it while running at lower clock speeds. even the intel atom dual-core is way better than that p4 :) 

basically im saying dont bother :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2010 2:18:35 PM

yeah, id say just get a cheap AM3 setup.
m
l
August 4, 2010 1:54:17 PM

shovenose said:
its a p4 (based on the netburst microarchitecture)...
netburst really sucks :)  clock-for-clock, it was power-hungry, inefficient, and much slower than the equivalent amd system. both the amd athlon xp and the athlon 64 beat the crap out of it while running at lower clock speeds. even the intel atom dual-core is way better than that p4 :) 

basically im saying dont bother :) 

I asked one thing and got no answer to it. Can you all please READ before you post?

I wrote:
Quote:
I need this system for the time being, I can afford my self a PSU upgrade but not a whole system buy.

and got this as an answer:
ares1214 said:
yeah, id say just get a cheap AM3 setup.

Any suggestions ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2010 7:47:38 PM

what would you say is your budget?
m
l
August 5, 2010 12:29:20 AM

I bought a 630 CPU and it's in the system at the moment. Now I only need to get the proper PSU for this PC.

As you can see on this IBM page (titled: "Power supply removal movie"), for me, that is a "non-standard" (My CoolerMaster 500w and my previous OCZ 500w, are bigger in size than this unit) PSU.

Ares1214 I have enough to buy a new PSU (50$). If I'd have to go with a "cheap" system, I'd have to fork money on :

1)Mother-Board
2)CPU
3)RAM
4)CASE*
5)PSU**

* > The current case of my IBM M51 has the usual OEM connectors (Power button, power and hdd LED indicators), which would have to be modified, the connector that connects to the current Mo. Bo. would have to be cut into pieces so it could be plugged to the new system.
** > Only if the bought case doesn't have a PSU.

m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 12:48:20 AM

It looks to me like a standard ATX PSU, but one that is MUCH shorter then normal. This is so they can use that locking tab. I'm not sure if it will be possible to find one that short. You do seem to have enough room behind the PSU, and the four screws will hold it in place. I suggest buying a good 400-500W PSU, and simply "remove" the locking tab. The Corsair 400/450 or Antec/Seasonic 450-500W PSUs should do fine.
m
l
August 5, 2010 3:52:32 PM

Thank you for the advice, now you see what my problem is, it's a little more complicated than that. The locking tab actually holds the hard drive underneath the PSU (A sort of compartment). So I can't just kick it out.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
August 5, 2010 4:36:19 PM

The video doesn't show so I can't see. If the drive cage does snap to the locking tab, I still wouldn't worry about it. Just push it down to the "closed" position and forget about it. With the cover on it won't go flipping up. Assuming its plastic, I would just snip/file it down.
m
l
!