Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Grease

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2010 12:20:57 PM

Hi All,

I am in the midst of my first build centered around an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE "PIB" (Processor in a box). Although the directions say to add thermal grease, there already was a gray square of compound on the copper portion of the heat sink. The square is slightly undersized from the processor. I went ahead and installed it, fired up the machine and I'm monitoring the temperature. Case=~30deg C, CPU ~44deg C.

Need I be concerned? BTW: this dilemma was the longest step in the whole build process :lol: 

Thanks in advance.

More about : thermal grease

May 20, 2010 12:49:05 PM

^ Well that is the stock thermal grease...And I think the temps are a little bit on the higher side...It should have been around 38-40 degrees with case temps being around 30 degrees...

You could see some improvement using better ones like TX-2/ MX-2 or Noctua NH1...It will surely bring down the temps by 3-4 degrees...
May 20, 2010 8:43:01 PM

If you are running the stock heatsink you should not be overclocking. As long as it is installed correctly with the stock goo it should be fine. The vast majority of computers run this way.

If you want to overclock you will want to get a good CPU cooler and at that point it makes sense to make sure you have good thermal goo to take advantage of the coolers stronger thermal capacity.
!