Sign in with
Your question
Solved

8600 GT's are always corrupted at boot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2010 8:17:02 PM

I have a 9500 gt ddr2 version......and it is slow, but it can run all the new games with the res turned all the way down. I bought a 8600 gt ddr3 and put in my wifes computer and it ran twice as fast. So then I decided that I wanted one.

First I ordered a BFG oc version and when I started it up it the video was corrupt like the vram(ddr3) was bad. lines and characters on screen and windows 7 is in four color mode. Everest shows the gpu temp is idle at 56C but the memory is -1MB. Troubleshooted with drivers for a day or two, but decided that if its corrupt from the very first part(where it shows the card and how much mem) then it couldnt be any good. out 30 dollars for that one

Second, ordered another one, a 8600 gts ddr3 EVGA. It did the same thing, out another 35 dollars.
Third, tried another zotac 8600gt ..........same issues, corrupt at boot, got to return that one atleast.

I can put my 9500 in and it works great (all long as you dont play games) 333mhz memory is SLOW

Specs:

Asrock n68-S mobo with updated bios 2.0
n630a chipset with updated drivers
has a pcie 2.0 slot
AMD x2 6000+
4 gigs ram
550 power supply with 24 amp 12v rail

It is overclockable but I run it slightly underclocked. Its not a heat issue, I use everest to watch temps and voltage...they are all good

I know all about the forceware drivers and have installed and removed until my head hurts.

As far as the bios goes, the mobo turns off the onboard by itself and asrock says theres no jumpers or bios settings for any of the video. just chipset, cpu, memory....tried them all.

Thanks for any help

More about : 8600 corrupted boot

April 18, 2010 8:32:53 PM

Well do you have a 8600 to still test ? There has to be another culprit here, a common denominator. Maybe a dvi~vga dongle, try another output. Try another monitor/cable.
I think you ruled out drivers, but you could boot from linux cd just to make sure, its hardware.
April 18, 2010 8:47:50 PM

notty22 said:
Well do you have a 8600 to still test ? There has to be another culprit here, a common denominator. Maybe a dvi~vga dongle, try another output. Try another monitor/cable.
I think you ruled out drivers, but you could boot from linux cd just to make sure, its hardware.

I have 4 monitors and 6 cables, and one adapter dongle. No combination ever made any difference. Yes I have the one they wouldnt return, its a BFG brand 8600 GT OC. Ive never messed with linux.....but I have built computers since there were 286's .........so what do I need to try? What needs to go on the bootable disc?

Im starting to lean toward the fact that I have a pcie 2.0 slot and I think these cards are 1.0 or 1.1 and wont work (even though they should)
Thanks
Related resources
April 18, 2010 8:52:27 PM

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

You can d/l a bootable cd, 32 or 64 bit, boot from your cdrom, choose check out Ubuntu don't install anything. It boots to a desktop and you should have firefox at the very least.
Check it out with your working rig, lots of people play with this.
check
let me ask, with the 8600gt can you navigate your bios screen or is that messed up to ?
that eliminates software if its messed up there.
April 18, 2010 9:07:44 PM

yeah, the first post is corrupt then I can go into the bios
there is always colors and scrambled charaters on the screen, but I can read it.
Everyone says that if its scrambled on the bios screen its hardware, but I just cant see getting 3 bad cards in a row

Best solution

April 18, 2010 9:14:37 PM

Its hardware incompatibility. Who is at fault ? A end of line motherboard or a end of line video card ? Your going to have try something else. The ubuntu idea won't help you.
A ATI 4650 should give you what you seek , as compared to a 8600 gt, I believe.
April 18, 2010 10:14:53 PM

Best answer selected by afnuke.
!