Sign in with
Your question

Question on graphic card installation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2010 8:27:23 PM

Hello,
I just purchased a Galaxy GeForce 200 series GT220 graphics card. It is PCI express 2.0. Not being real knowledgeable on computers, I need help due to when I booted up after the card install, it took about 5 minutes to get to the password screen. I was going letter by letter on the system check screen during the boot up. My motherboard is a Biostar P4M900-M4 and the manual says the PCI express slot is 1.0a compliant. Is this the reason for the incredibly slow boot, or do I need to do something else to correct. I was able to install the latest graphic card driver from the NVIDIA website and it seems to be functioning ok. Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 18, 2010 9:11:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
I don't think its because of PCI-E 2.0 because PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatabile with PCI-E 1.0,
did you have a graphic before GT220 installed on this system? if so then have you completely remove the older graphic card's driver before installing the new one ?
m
l
April 18, 2010 10:23:40 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
I don't think its because of PCI-E 2.0 because PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatabile with PCI-E 1.0,
did you have a graphic before GT220 installed on this system? if so then have you completely remove the older graphic card's driver before installing the new one ?

Yes, I had tried a Radeon graphics card to find out it was not windows 7 compatible. So I will look at removing the drivers, if they are on the computer. Thank you for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a c 255 U Graphics card
April 19, 2010 12:58:55 AM

You need to follow the directions and use the driver sweeper program linked to on this page.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Anytime you change graphics driver you should use the sweeper program especially since you are going from ATI to Nvidia. Old drivers leave registry entries and other files behind even when uninstalled in Windows. This can cause conflicts with the new driver. Follow the directions exactly including the safe mode part.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 19, 2010 1:29:51 PM

+1^ try doing a clean install,here is how:
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on ATI and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done
m
l
April 19, 2010 11:48:39 PM

I downloaded driver sweeper, booted in safe mode, to find there were no ATI drivers to clean. When I selected ATI display and analyzed, it found nothing. Still the same issue. I pulled the GT 220 graphics card and plugged my monitor back into the motherboard's VGA port. It booted up at the correct, normal speed. So, I am still at a loss. I have contacted Galaxy and they are to get back with me but don't think there is anything that would cause my boot up issue. Unfortunately, it only happens with this graphics card installed. Should I take it back and get a different model? Any recommendations I greatly appreciate. Could my bios need updated? Thanks again
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 20, 2010 6:49:35 AM

The last thing i would do is updating the BIOS update,if it didn't work RMA your card
m
l
!