Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i wait to buy a gaming laptop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2010 9:36:32 PM

i'm starting to get into pc gaming but i don't want to buy a laptop and then have a new super fast gpu come out in a month. i'm used to playing on consoles so i don't know how big the jumps are when new gpu's come out, is is usually mindblowing or just bit by bit improvements over time?

i've narrowed it down to this laptop, which seems to be an incredible deal imo:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26...
thanks

EDIT: that link works half and half for me, another link below!

More about : wait buy gaming laptop

a c 235 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
April 18, 2010 9:42:58 PM

laptops do not make great gaming computers. New laptop GPU tend to be slight increases in performance and new stuff is always coming out.

best buy loves to play price tricks and sell "optimization"
look at newegg and tigerdirect, at least you wont pay tax
m
l
April 18, 2010 9:45:24 PM

ct1615 said:
laptops do not make great gaming computers. New laptop GPU tend to be slight increases in performance and new stuff is always coming out.

best buy loves to play price tricks and sell "optimization"
look at newegg and tigerdirect, at least you wont pay tax

sorry my link above doesn't work, go to the first best buy link here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=G73JH-RBBX05+best+buy

isn't this a good deal? i don't really have space for a desktop and i am really looking for a powerful laptop for a good price.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1377 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a c 279 4 Gaming
April 18, 2010 10:35:26 PM

That is a good deal!
m
l

Best solution

April 19, 2010 1:34:13 AM

Yes that is a very good deal, it has the fastest mobile gpu you can get as will as a mobile core i7. That graphics card is equivalent to a desktop 5770, so it should be able to max pretty much everything at that resolution (1600x900). The only thing is the screen is not 1920x1080, but if you can live with that then I'd say go for it. And another thing is, later this year or early next year when ssd prices fall to a reasonable point, you can put one of those in there and you will notice a significant speed increase.
April 19, 2010 1:41:09 AM

westerbamos said:
Yes that is a very good deal, it has the fastest mobile gpu you can get as will as a mobile core i7. That graphics card is equivalent to a desktop 5770, so it should be able to max pretty much everything at that resolution (1600x900). The only thing is the screen is not 1920x1080, but if you can live with that then I'd say go for it. And another thing is, later this year or early next year when ssd prices fall to a reasonable point, you can put one of those in there and you will notice a significant speed increase.

will the 1080p make a big difference in the screen quality, in fact it sounds like TOO much ppi. i went to best buy a couple weeks ago and the text was practically unreadable cause it was so small on some laptops lol

great answer, thanks

m
l
a c 1377 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a c 279 4 Gaming
April 19, 2010 2:12:13 AM

With that screen size at 1920 x 1080 text would be very small. 1600 x 900 would be better text wise.
m
l
April 19, 2010 2:14:49 AM

Best answer selected by tmt345.
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:02:56 AM

yeah at that size 1600 x 900 would be fine, if you were planning on hooking it up to a bigger monitor then 1080p would be better.
m
l
April 20, 2010 2:44:08 AM

i went to best buy and bought it :)  so far so good, i haven't played any games yet cause i want to dual boot ubuntu and windows

windows for games, ubuntu for work.
m
l
!