Accessories needed urgent

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello everyone i got this board recently and for it to run in x16 mode it has to have some type of riser card in the other slot i got this open box so nothing came with and asus only sells the i/o backplate...Does any one know a work around for this. the board is an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO my pci-e card is in slot #1 the blue one...please someone help///Asus tech support sucks btw the board on the other hand is great except this major problem heres the link to the retail bundle it is called a VGA switch card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-131-631-Z10&SpinSet=13-131-631-RS&ISList=13-131-631-Z06%2c13-131-631-Z07%2c13-131-631-Z08%2c13-131-631-Z09%2c13-131-631-Z10&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813131631&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=ASUS%20M4A89GTD%20PRO%2fUSB3%20AM3%20AMD%20890GX%20SATA%206Gb%2fs%20USB%203.0%20HDMI%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard

Solution
Yeah, I know what you need; it's an oddball 'VGA Switch Card' to disable the PCIe slot 1 because of the onboard VGA.

Normally, the ASUS store has them listed, but I couldn't find it -> http://us.estore.asus.com/ therefore choices: Return the open box, contact ASUS, eBay.

NO, there's no workaround. The last post I did on this situation was do it per the manual or have the rig run unstable. Yeah, you could get a second GPU... FYI the onboard VGA even properly used is 15%~30% hampered performance. Therefore, if it were 'me' get a MOBO w/o an onboard VGA.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am not sure what you are looking at, but your mobo definitely does not need any such riser board for the PCI-E slot to work in x16 mode.

Are you trying to Crossfire 2 GPUs? If so, sounds like you are describing a need for the Crossfire interconnects. Is that what you mean?

Please clarify. Good luck!

Yeah, I know what you need; it's an oddball 'VGA Switch Card' to disable the PCIe slot 1 because of the onboard VGA.

Normally, the ASUS store has them listed, but I couldn't find it -> http://us.estore.asus.com/ therefore choices: Return the open box, contact ASUS, eBay.

NO, there's no workaround. The last post I did on this situation was do it per the manual or have the rig run unstable. Yeah, you could get a second GPU... FYI the onboard VGA even properly used is 15%~30% hampered performance. Therefore, if it were 'me' get a MOBO w/o an onboard VGA.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1 to jaquith on this one. I now see what you are looking for (I have a similar mobo that uses the same type of device to put the primary PCI-E into x16 mode or both slots into x8 mode for CF). I was temporarily stunned and stupid by the riser card descriptor. Mea culpa.

That is one reason most people avoid buying MOBOs openbox from Newegg !! -- as they will sometimes ship without alll the accessories and it costs more in the long run to find the parts that were missing than the savings (and missing accessories is not a valid reason to return the open box product without paying return shipping and 15% restocking fee !)

You might be able to find the part on E-BAY (many people buy and return MOBOs keeping those parts to sell on E-bay to those that buy open box !!) or you can run probably run without it but the slot will only run at x8 speed

^I've bought some MOBOs from Newegg that are open box, but I always assume that the prior guy stole all the good stuff. If there's some specialty cards/accessories that I won't buy open box. Missing: manual, CD, SATA, CF/SLI bridges doesn't bother me -- if the $$ is good. Deluxe models with 'remotes' or PCIe, etc then don't.

Good point -- I've done the same for replacement MOBOs for people if it is the same model they already have since then the added parts are not needed. (usually it is the Backplate that is hard to replace and missing !)

I check the ASUS eStore first for the I/O Shield if 'new build' expect to pay $12.95 + S/H {crazy price} often the 15%+ restocking fee is worth the 'sticky fingers' for some people :( Intel is the cheapest $5 {sane price} but I don't like their MOBOs.

Bottom-line, unless I can save $50+ after parts I won't buy open box.

Not on their Open Box items -- they list :

Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories, even if it is required to use all of the item's functions.

On the items page if you click on the Open Box description and also list :

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they are subject to a limited refund-only return policy. Such items can only be returned within 30 days of the applicable invoice date. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA. Newegg cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product’s advertised functions.

In their Open Box return Policy ! So normally they will not issue an RMA for missing accessories in an open box product and even if you convince them to issue one you will have to pay the return shipping and a 15% restocking fee deducted from the amount of the return !

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Agreed on their stated policy, but a phone call to them can (and does) work "miracles". I have returned open box items before with minimal headaches.

Like the others earlier in the thread, I am very selective in what I will purchase as an open box item. If the item includes lots of little things, then I pass. Once, and only once, did an open box mobo I bought include everything.

The OP may be able to get a refund credit towards a new motherboard of the same model. Worth a shot to me.

^+1 - I buy a lot from Newegg, RARELY did I have ANY problems. I've purchased open boxes with 'scratches' I didn't like and they sent me a new MOBO for the difference in cost. Worst, I'm out shipping cost.

I don't by open boxes by habit... Of all the sources I use Newegg is the least of my worries. Good news travels slow...bad news travels very fast!