Turn off GPS tracking for V551

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??


TNX Jim
17 answers Last reply
More about turn tracking v551
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jimbo wrote:

    > How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    >
    >
    > TNX Jim
    >


    You're in luck, the V551 doesn't use GPS for tracking - or anything else
    for that matter because it doesn't have a GPS feature.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

    >Jimbo wrote:
    >
    >> How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    >>
    >>
    >> TNX Jim
    >>
    >
    >
    >You're in luck, the V551 doesn't use GPS for tracking - or anything else
    >for that matter because it doesn't have a GPS feature.

    It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.

    Dick
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <1a3h419canm9er3mhnncig3ir17komop4p@4ax.com>, Dick
    <LeadWinger> says...
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
    >
    > >Jimbo wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> TNX Jim
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    > >You're in luck, the V551 doesn't use GPS for tracking - or anything else
    > >for that matter because it doesn't have a GPS feature.
    >
    > It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    > an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    > sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    > GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.


    I belive that it is based on towers that service given cell phone ... I
    guess when you turn your cell phone off towers will not communicate with
    your cell phone

    AP
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??

    GPS doesn't 'track'. Any cell phone already tracks you and probably more
    accurately than GPS would anyway. If you don't want your position known
    your only option is to not use a cell phone.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I saw that in a movie once. I can't recall the name of it but, the bad
    guy - who was really the good guy, was tracked by the expert cell operators
    which could triangulate the guys exact position to within feet. He finally
    threw the phone in a dumpster. I guess we all should some day. Specially
    if we are running away from the LEOs.

    Better yet, I just heard that bad guys (or maybe cops too) were leaving cell
    phones behind and hidden on silent, auto-answer. They would then call the
    hidden phone and the phone would be a listening device.

    What kind of a world are we creating -- scary!

    MG


    "AP" <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1cb29fc684555bfd98988b@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...
    > In article <1a3h419canm9er3mhnncig3ir17komop4p@4ax.com>, Dick
    > <LeadWinger> says...
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Jimbo wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >> TNX Jim
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >You're in luck, the V551 doesn't use GPS for tracking - or anything else
    >> >for that matter because it doesn't have a GPS feature.
    >>
    >> It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    >> an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    >> sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    >> GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.
    >
    >
    > I belive that it is based on towers that service given cell phone ... I
    > guess when you turn your cell phone off towers will not communicate with
    > your cell phone
    >
    > AP
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Mr.~G. wrote:
    > I saw that in a movie once. I can't recall the name of it but, the bad
    > guy - who was really the good guy, was tracked by the expert cell operators
    > which could triangulate the guys exact position to within feet. He finally
    > threw the phone in a dumpster. I guess we all should some day. Specially
    > if we are running away from the LEOs.

    Sounds similar to 'The Net' with Sandra Bullock.

    > Better yet, I just heard that bad guys (or maybe cops too) were leaving cell
    > phones behind and hidden on silent, auto-answer. They would then call the
    > hidden phone and the phone would be a listening device.
    >
    > What kind of a world are we creating -- scary!

    Scary what people do now, isn't it?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Dick wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:50:19 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Jimbo wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>TNX Jim
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >>You're in luck, the V551 doesn't use GPS for tracking - or anything else
    >>for that matter because it doesn't have a GPS feature.
    >
    >
    > It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    > an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    > sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    > GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.
    >
    > Dick

    The phone itself doesn't do anything extraordinary, it's a radio that
    transmits a signal. But, that signal is used by the cellular system to
    extrapolate the location of the transmitter, and only when 911 is
    dialed. The cellular system is calibrated with GPS using pre-tested
    transmitters, and the location results are stored for subsequent
    comparisons to other transmitters when necessary.

    http://www.trueposition.com is helpful.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Mr.~G. wrote:


    > Better yet, I just heard that bad guys (or maybe cops too) were leaving cell
    > phones behind and hidden on silent, auto-answer. They would then call the
    > hidden phone and the phone would be a listening device.
    >
    > What kind of a world are we creating -- scary!


    Prepay phones are great for this, and you're just now hearing about it?
    And some people still don't know the value of a cell jammer. <whisper
    mode on> I do.


    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:48:03 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

    >> It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    >> an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    >> sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    >> GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.
    >>
    >> Dick
    >
    >The phone itself doesn't do anything extraordinary, it's a radio that
    >transmits a signal. But, that signal is used by the cellular system to
    >extrapolate the location of the transmitter, and only when 911 is
    >dialed. The cellular system is calibrated with GPS using pre-tested
    >transmitters, and the location results are stored for subsequent
    >comparisons to other transmitters when necessary.
    >
    >http://www.trueposition.com is helpful.

    An interesting site. Thanks. It indicates that any phone on the
    Cingular network works with E-911 when it is available. What then is
    the V551 doing that is different from an ordinary cel phone? When it
    sends location information to the network a little icon comes on the
    screen. Is it receiving information from the towers and doing its own
    extrapolation, then sending that back to the towers? It's obviously
    doing something that a common cel phone can't do.

    Dick
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Dick wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:48:03 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>It does have the ability to send your location to the network during
    >>>an emergency call. Indicators on the screen show when your phone is
    >>>sending location information. Page 26 in the manual. I don't know if
    >>>GPS is involved, but somehow it knows where it is.
    >>>
    >>>Dick
    >>
    >>The phone itself doesn't do anything extraordinary, it's a radio that
    >>transmits a signal. But, that signal is used by the cellular system to
    >>extrapolate the location of the transmitter, and only when 911 is
    >>dialed. The cellular system is calibrated with GPS using pre-tested
    >>transmitters, and the location results are stored for subsequent
    >>comparisons to other transmitters when necessary.
    >>
    >>http://www.trueposition.com is helpful.
    >
    >
    > An interesting site. Thanks. It indicates that any phone on the
    > Cingular network works with E-911 when it is available. What then is
    > the V551 doing that is different from an ordinary cel phone? When it
    > sends location information to the network a little icon comes on the
    > screen. Is it receiving information from the towers and doing its own
    > extrapolation, then sending that back to the towers? It's obviously
    > doing something that a common cel phone can't do.
    >
    > Dick


    My understanding from an accomplice... er... ^H^H^H friend that works
    for Cingular, the 551 doesn't do anything different than any other GSM
    phone. The iconic symbol you're referring to does appear from time to
    time, and for some reason someone decided the 551 display (and maybe
    others) needed an indicator for this. When powered on, all handsets
    constantly listen to a control signal from whichever cell it's homed on,
    and occasionally the handset thinks that signal is weak. This
    'self-assisted' homing function is nothing more than the handset
    soliciting assistance from the cellular GSM network to determine if an
    inactive hand-off should be performed, and this occurs more frequently
    when moving around. If the network honors the request, it then polls
    the handset for signal quality tests (hence the buzzing sound in nearby
    audio equipment) and then a decision is made by the network whether to
    track the handset from a different BTS or not. The whole point of all
    this is an attempt to maintain a good connection in a radio network, and
    there's nothing nefarious about it.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:9pqdnWhp8eUYGNHfRVn-ug@speakeasy.net...
    >> How do I turn off the GPS tracking on our V551's??
    >
    > GPS doesn't 'track'. Any cell phone already tracks you and probably more
    > accurately than GPS would anyway. If you don't want your position known
    > your only option is to not use a cell phone.
    >

    Agreed accept the accuracy of GPS. It can pinpoint you to within a VERY
    minute are (inches or less). While you can still be located just from using
    the cell, it is much more difficult and not as precise. It requires
    triangulation assuming you are in range of multiple towers.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <9pqdnWhp8eUYGNHfRVn-ug@speakeasy.net>, wkearney99@hotmail.com
    says...
    > GPS doesn't 'track'. Any cell phone already tracks you and probably more
    > accurately than GPS would anyway. If you don't want your position known
    > your only option is to not use a cell phone.
    >
    >
    >
    the only cell phone I use now is from the company I work for and I've
    always wondered about this. it is a nextel network phone. by *position
    known* I guess you mean relative to the nearest tower which in my town
    would probably be a 15 - 30 miles radius. so in reality just the phone
    can't provide too much info on where I am, only that I am within a certain
    15 mile radius. whereas the gps (they don't have activated) would allow a
    more specific location detection. am I correct in this?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "john" <john@invalid.inv> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1cb662c3b1d74681989689@news.east.earthlink.net...
    > In article <9pqdnWhp8eUYGNHfRVn-ug@speakeasy.net>, wkearney99@hotmail.com
    > says...
    >> GPS doesn't 'track'. Any cell phone already tracks you and probably more
    >> accurately than GPS would anyway. If you don't want your position known
    >> your only option is to not use a cell phone.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    > the only cell phone I use now is from the company I work for and I've
    > always wondered about this. it is a nextel network phone. by *position
    > known* I guess you mean relative to the nearest tower which in my town
    > would probably be a 15 - 30 miles radius. so in reality just the phone
    > can't provide too much info on where I am, only that I am within a certain
    > 15 mile radius. whereas the gps (they don't have activated) would allow a
    > more specific location detection. am I correct in this?

    If you are within range of multiple towers, a more precise location can be
    calculated. Even with just two towers, an eliptical range can be formed.
    But, you are correct that GPS is much more specific. GPS is almost scary
    accurate on positioning.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, Dick mused:
    |
    | It's obviously doing something that a common cel phone can't do.

    What makes you say this? The V551 is a common cell phone.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:57:34 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:

    >Taking a moment's reflection, Dick mused:
    >|
    >| It's obviously doing something that a common cel phone can't do.
    >
    > What makes you say this? The V551 is a common cell phone.
    >

    There is a section in the manual called, "Location Indicator." It
    states that, "Your phone may be able to send location information to
    the network during an emergency. Indicators show when your phone is
    sending location information." This appears to be a unique screen
    icon not used for any other purpose. It looks like a little satellite
    antenna. I was not aware that all cel phones had this capability.
    Others have pointed out how the E-911 system works between towers, but
    this phone specifically states that it SENDS location information to
    the network. That's what led me to believe that the V551 had GPS
    capability. Apparently, it does not.

    Dick
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "...specifically states that it SENDS location information to the network."

    NO IT DOESN'T!

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    news:nkb351936kc871jm4ddim1cvgbc90m5nmt@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:57:34 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    > <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Taking a moment's reflection, Dick mused:
    > >|
    > >| It's obviously doing something that a common cel phone can't do.
    > >
    > > What makes you say this? The V551 is a common cell phone.
    > >
    >
    > There is a section in the manual called, "Location Indicator." It
    > states that, "Your phone may be able to send location information to
    > the network during an emergency. Indicators show when your phone is
    > sending location information." This appears to be a unique screen
    > icon not used for any other purpose. It looks like a little satellite
    > antenna. I was not aware that all cel phones had this capability.
    > Others have pointed out how the E-911 system works between towers, but
    > this phone specifically states that it SENDS location information to
    > the network. That's what led me to believe that the V551 had GPS
    > capability. Apparently, it does not.
    >
    > Dick
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    What I wrote in my quote was an EXACT QUOTATION out of the V551
    manual. Maybe you have a different manual. Are you quibbling over
    the word "may?"


    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:22:11 -0400, "Craven Morehead"
    <cmorehead@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"...specifically states that it SENDS location information to the network."
    >
    >NO IT DOESN'T!
    >
    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >news:nkb351936kc871jm4ddim1cvgbc90m5nmt@4ax.com...
    >> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:57:34 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    >> <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Taking a moment's reflection, Dick mused:
    >> >|
    >> >| It's obviously doing something that a common cel phone can't do.
    >> >
    >> > What makes you say this? The V551 is a common cell phone.
    >> >
    >>
    >> There is a section in the manual called, "Location Indicator." It
    >> states that, "Your phone may be able to send location information to
    >> the network during an emergency. Indicators show when your phone is
    >> sending location information." This appears to be a unique screen
    >> icon not used for any other purpose. It looks like a little satellite
    >> antenna. I was not aware that all cel phones had this capability.
    >> Others have pointed out how the E-911 system works between towers, but
    >> this phone specifically states that it SENDS location information to
    >> the network. That's what led me to believe that the V551 had GPS
    >> capability. Apparently, it does not.
    >>
    >> Dick
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Cingular GPS Internet Service Providers