Buying a Blu-ray burner and down to three picks. Which would you get?

Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Internal Blu-ray/DVD/CD Burner With SATA Interface from B&H for: $75 (I can pick it up at the store so shipping will not be a problem) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848212-REG/Pioneer_BDR_207DBK_BDR_207DBK_12x_Internal_Blu_ray_DVD_CD.html
LG WH12LS39K OEM from tigerdirect for $85 ($80 plus shipping which might be $5) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2060894&CatId=3636
LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM from Newegg for $85 ($80 plus shipping which might be $5) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250

The LG WH12LS39K offers M-Disk Support while the LG WH14NS40 offers BDXL support and slightly faster write BD speeds.

I'm thinking of having a HDMI cable go from my video card to a 42" or up HD TV in the future but for now use my LCD computer monitor to watch and burn Blu-Rays once I buy a drive. Of the three which one would you prefer and why or is there another drive that you would recommend over these three?
7 answers Last reply
More about buying burner picks
  1. Hello,

Hmm. Mdisk appears to be an archival format for Blu rays. Do you need archival format (in other words, write once)? Will you be backing anything up on Blu ray?

IMO BDXL is the better feature since it supports up to 128GB Blu ray discs.
  2. I just saw that the LG WH14NS40 also offers Mdisk as well (but doesn't advertise it like the WH12LS39K does). So unless I hear from anybody else that the Pioneer BDR-207DBK or the LG WH12LS39K (both OEM so I know I will have to get the software to play blu-rays as well but I'm not that worried about it) is better for any reasons the WH14NS40 seems to be the top pick. The Pioneer is 1$0 cheaper but LG seems to be just as reliable name based on the forums for blu-rays plus according to the details the WH14NS40 has faster burning and reading times and has the BDXL and Mdisk features so it seems worth it.
  3. Seeing how they all have a 1 year warranty (without buying extra protection), I would go for whichever one you feel like getting. Personally I would choose the BDXL capable one. At least you would be able to read those types of discs if you ever come across one.
  4. Drey84 said:
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Internal Blu-ray/DVD/CD Burner With SATA Interface from B&H for: $75 (I can pick it up at the store so shipping will not be a problem) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848212-REG/Pioneer_BDR_207DBK_BDR_207DBK_12x_Internal_Blu_ray_DVD_CD.html
    LG WH12LS39K OEM from tigerdirect for $85 ($80 plus shipping which might be $5) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2060894&CatId=3636
    LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM from Newegg for $85 ($80 plus shipping which might be $5) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250

The LG WH12LS39K offers M-Disk Support while the LG WH14NS40 offers BDXL support and slightly faster write BD speeds.

I'm thinking of having a HDMI cable go from my video card to a 42" or up HD TV in the future but for now use my LCD computer monitor to watch and burn Blu-Rays once I buy a drive. Of the three which one would you prefer and why or is there another drive that you would recommend over these three?

Are you try to back up your BD disc? if that the case i rather save it as ISO image and use a vitual CD/DVD/BD drives.

Also with ISO image you can stream a cross the network too...
  5. Plextor makes the best blu-ray drives on the market.
  6. I was just looking around for some help on one of the drives in question. I bought the Pioneer BDR-207DBK and have had a heck of a time trying to get it to do anything. It reads and writes to the hard drive very well, but when you try to burn a Blu-Ray, it slowly diminishes in speed until it takes 5 hours to burn a single BD-25... I had to wait all night long for the burn to happen. It would burn a single DVD, and in a reasonable amount of time... nothing like heart stopping speed. But after that single disk, it wouldn't burn another... couldn't even see the disk in the drive. That was outside my realm of experience.

I tried to RMA it to the vendor... no such thing, they said the warranty had expired and the manufacturer wouldn't back it. I had purchased it on 7/9/2012... that's not even 30 days... oh well. I tried to contact Pioneer... they barely admit to building it, and offer nothing other than the firmware update that the installer said I didn't need. I have two of the other brand name drives mentioned in this thread, and both of them work flawlessly. I just put an image on the drive using the Pioneer, and when it "death spiraled" up to five hours of burn time, I stopped everything... removed the Pioneer, installed an LG and burned the disk in less than thirty minutes... no problems.

I have just contacted Pioneer, hoping that they might exchange the drive, but I don't have much faith in them, so I'll probably just buy another LG... but before I do... I will check the support page, just in case they think as little of their drives as Pioneer thinks of the 207DBK.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought my recent experiences might help with potential future purchases for others... it will with mine.
  7. easytimes said:
    I was just looking around for some help on one of the drives in question. I bought the Pioneer BDR-207DBK and have had a heck of a time trying to get it to do anything. It reads and writes to the hard drive very well, but when you try to burn a Blu-Ray, it slowly diminishes in speed until it takes 5 hours to burn a single BD-25... I had to wait all night long for the burn to happen. It would burn a single DVD, and in a reasonable amount of time... nothing like heart stopping speed. But after that single disk, it wouldn't burn another... couldn't even see the disk in the drive. That was outside my realm of experience.

I tried to RMA it to the vendor... no such thing, they said the warranty had expired and the manufacturer wouldn't back it. I had purchased it on 7/9/2012... that's not even 30 days... oh well. I tried to contact Pioneer... they barely admit to building it, and offer nothing other than the firmware update that the installer said I didn't need. I have two of the other brand name drives mentioned in this thread, and both of them work flawlessly. I just put an image on the drive using the Pioneer, and when it "death spiraled" up to five hours of burn time, I stopped everything... removed the Pioneer, installed an LG and burned the disk in less than thirty minutes... no problems.

I have just contacted Pioneer, hoping that they might exchange the drive, but I don't have much faith in them, so I'll probably just buy another LG... but before I do... I will check the support page, just in case they think as little of their drives as Pioneer thinks of the 207DBK.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought my recent experiences might help with potential future purchases for others... it will with mine.

You should Google both Riplock and MediaCodeSpeed edit. Also check out CDFreaks page here >> http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/ :hello:
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers LG Burner Blu-ray Storage Product