Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Configuration
  • Power
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 24, 2010 11:53:32 PM

My sys config... (will be built in a couple of days, will be upgraded from E8400 3.0ghz/4GB Ram/GeForce 8600/Intel DG43NB Mobo)
i7 930 2.8 Ghz
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB/1600Mhz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 (Single)
5 Sata HDD
1 PATA
2 DVD-RW

The prob is PSU Im using was bought just 3-4 months back which is Cooler Master Xtreme Power Plus 650 W .... although I know that I should be enough to power up my new config...
Instead of buying a new PSU but Im thinkin' to put my 2 yr old PSU which is 450 W into the case and share its power. I want it power on my HDD's, DVD's and Fans (and probably the cpu cooler which I'll buy later) ....

I know that it's not as simple as it look by just putting the psu into the case, connect cable and power on both smps.... I want a solution that would power off both SMPS when the system powers off. I found a solution to it smwhr an year back but dnt remem' where???

Plz dont suggest me 2 go for a new psu.

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2010 11:59:36 PM

HDDs/ODDs/fans use tiny amounts of power in comparison. That CM 650W PSU should be more than enough for an overclocked i7 930 system with overclocked HD 5850s in CrossFireX. Don't worry about it.
m
l
July 25, 2010 12:57:49 AM

Lmeow said:
HDDs/ODDs/fans use tiny amounts of power in comparison. That CM 650W PSU should be more than enough for an overclocked i7 930 system with overclocked HD 5850s in CrossFireX. Don't worry about it.

Actually I got an GeForce 280 gtx single card some months back , I couldnt power on my PC (on my old config)... I had to wait 2-3 minutes to power on, and sometimes it dnt just power on... I smhow returned the card by saying tht the card is faulty but I doubt tht I fell short on power... and now the current pc config draws more pow thn before so im more concerned abt power...
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2010 1:45:52 AM

That is with an i7 975 @ 3.33 GHz. The GTX 280 system would have used way more power than the HD 5770, if everything else was the same before.
m
l
a c 156 ) Power supply
July 25, 2010 2:16:22 AM

A second PSU will not power on properly without the 24pin main connector attached. It is possible to jury rig a signal wire to start it, but it will not be necessary.

The total power requirements are almost entirely determined by your graphics card/s. The GTX280 was a very power hungry card, and the 5770 is a very efficient card. You should have no problems. with a 650w psu.

You have a few more hard drives than the typical user who has one or two. In the motherboard bios, on high end motherboards like yours, there may be a setting that will let you stage or delay the spin up of your hard drives to avoid a big surge of demand when you power on.
m
l
July 26, 2010 5:42:01 AM

geofelt said:
A second PSU will not power on properly without the 24pin main connector attached. It is possible to jury rig a signal wire to start it, but it will not be necessary.

The total power requirements are almost entirely determined by your graphics card/s. The GTX280 was a very power hungry card, and the 5770 is a very efficient card. You should have no problems. with a 650w psu.

You have a few more hard drives than the typical user who has one or two. In the motherboard bios, on high end motherboards like yours, there may be a setting that will let you stage or delay the spin up of your hard drives to avoid a big surge of demand when you power on.

U r right, in fact (after installing 2 psu) the second PSU will not power off when i issue shut down command and hence the components connected to 2nd psu remain powered on (untill I power off my UPS)... I know there is a connector available on newegg....
Another option I have is a vga power supply ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But they dont jus ship to outside us/canada .... on ebay it costs more than $110 (way too high for an addon cable)... I deadly need tht product here in India...
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:45:36 AM

Well Yea, there are driverbay PSU's specifically for VGA cards. Why don't you just get a XFX Black Edition 750watt somewhere? On Newegg there only 120$ plus a 20$ rebate so try to look for somewhere with that price.
m
l
!