MotherBoard LED Turns On But Nothing Else Does

hfigst

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hello,

Recently I bought and received parts for my very first homebuilt computer. After I finished assembling and wiring, when I hit the power switch only the green motherboard led comes on and I hear a beep but that's about it. Are the case fans supposed to come on? Is the power supply fan supposed to come on? I'm not very tech saavy so I would like to kindly ask more knowledgeable folks what the possible problem could be - faulty motherboard, psu, etc. - and how I can test them. The parts I have are as follows:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom ii 555 3.2ghz
DDR3 1333 2x2gb A-DATA 4GB RAM
Asus DRW-24B1ST Optical Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
XFX Nvidia GTS 250
OCZ ModXStream 500W PSU
Antec 300 Case

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
you can try another psu..

If you dont have one look at the psu instructions it tells you which wires are power for 24 pin connector. Then stick paper clip in those 2 connectors on the 24 pin out and the it should go.. (i think they are red and yellow idk... also try to use fat paper clip find the work better)

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Well if you hear one beep means the computer passed the POST test (Power On Self Test) which is good telling you everything is working. Everything should come on even the fans.

What you might want to look at is the wires going from the power button to the motherboard. Look at the asus manual and make sure you line up the pwr wire to the correct spot, rest wire to correct spot etc..

Even tho it looks color coordinated its not. so look at the manual and see how they have it set up on the motherboard and let me know what happens

To test make sure the board is working take out the memory and turn on the computer you should get beep codes thats one way to tell your motherboard is working

hfigst

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi,

Before I posted I double checked that the power button, reset, etc. was plugged in correctly. I checked again and I'm quite positive that its hooked up correctly. The main thing that stumps me is the fact that none of the case fans and the cpu fan turns on. Could it be a faulty power supply?

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
you can try another psu..

If you dont have one look at the psu instructions it tells you which wires are power for 24 pin connector. Then stick paper clip in those 2 connectors on the 24 pin out and the it should go.. (i think they are red and yellow idk... also try to use fat paper clip find the work better)

Solution

hfigst

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Tried out the paper clip method and found out the power supply was actually working fine. I rewired everything from scratch and now my computer is up and running with Windows 7 installed. Thanks a lot.