Dvi to displayport active adapter

DW214RB

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hello,
LOOKING FOR SOME INPUT AS TO IF THIS ADAPTER WITH WORK WITH ATI EYEFINITY THE IS THE INFO I HAVE
DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter

StarTech.com ID: DP2VGA
I HAVE 23" LG ON HDTV ONE 20 INCH ON DVI-VGA WOULD LIKE TO PUT THIS ON FOR THIRD MONITOR 20 ALSO PLEASE HELP

welshmousepk

Distinguished
check out this forum:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=64&sid=99c2e6f966db507023f7da0fadeb9f5b

im a little confused as to what you are asking. a Passive DP>VGA adapter should work (they can be hit-and miss though) but i dont belive you can then use a VGA>DVI adapter (if thats what you are asking).

the whole reason you need a active adapter is to convert the signal to digital. VGA&DVI take different kinds of signal, hence why a certain adapter is needed to get DP>DVI.

i don't mean to be rude, but if you could lay of the caps lock and try a little harder at structuring your sentences it may be easier for us to help. but as it is im having trouble figuring out what you need.

DW214RB

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Sorry for being so incorrect in the manner in which I sent this out. But this kind of stuff is all new to me, I will try to explain better what it is that I need to know.

I have three monitors one is connected to the HDMI port on my ATI HD5750 vidio card the second is a digital 20 have to
one of the dvi ports. The problem is the I can not get the third monitor t6o work in either the display port useing a passive
DP>DVI adapter. I cannot use the second DVI port that does not seem to work with the set up I am trying to use.

The adapter that I have in question is discribed as a DP>VGA converter adapter in the specs. it states that it will convert the signal from DP to VGA. I dont believe that this is considered a passive adapter I am just a little unsure as to what it is that i read. Just trying to get this ATI EYEINVINITY WORKING

CARD HAS 4 PORTS

ONE HDMI
ONE DISPLAYPORT
2 DVI-D PORTS PLEASE SEND HELP OR INPUT THANKS TROUBLED
:cry:

welshmousepk

Distinguished
still i little confised, but it seems the adapter you are using is passive (not powered).

so you have a DP>VGA adapter, which then plugs into the VGA port on your monitor? or are you using another adapter to put it into a DVI port?

the problem is that the signal needs to be converted to run via DVI, hence why you need an active adapter with its own power supply to convert the signal.
if you are using a VGA adapter though you dont need an active converter. they aren't always going to work though.

here is a thread about places to get an ACTIVE adapter for using with your monitors DVI port: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=16942&p=167236#p167236

and here is one about passive adapters for the VGA port. note that these have a much lower success rate: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468&start=0

if you are indeed using a DP>DVI adapter it should have its own power supply. other wise its not actually a converter and does nothing but allow the cables to connect.

if you are using a VGA adapter then you may simply have one that doesnt work and will need to try another brand.