Asus m2n68-la motherboard false Error: system fan failed

dennis-sealbeach

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,
I replaced the Asus motherboard m2n68-la in a Compaq Presario SR5421F Desktop PC. When it power up, an error message appears,"ERROR: system fan failed, service unit press F2 to continue". Pressing F2 then allows the Windows XP to load. The fan which is attached to a heat sink directly to an Athlon X2 dual core processor seems to be running just fine. it si plugged into a 3 pin motherboard header titled CPU fan. I looked at the BIOS settings by Phoenix AwardBIOS but there is nothing than relates to the fan. I note that HP website states that under the Advanced tab in the BIOS there should a Hardware Monitor section that should allow enable and disable settings for various fan/heat sink combinations. But it just isn't there. I cannot find anywhere to upgrade the BIOS software with such a feature.

dennis-sealbeach

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hey ColGeek,
Thanks for the info. Your suggestion makes sense since the computer (Compaq Presario SR5421F) originally came with Vista. For your info, I just bought a small 12v 3-pin fan and connected it to the motherboard header titled "Chasis Fan". The chasis fan runs and the ERROR message did go away. I now have a CPU fan and a chasis fan.
But, I am interested in fixing this at the BIOS level and will try your suggestion. However, I have to read up about the actual steps of removing the existing BIOS and installing the new one. I have not replaced or changed a BIOS before.
Thanks again for the info.

dennis-sealbeach

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

I checked the version of BIOS on my machine and it is Phoenix AwardBIOS Rev.: 5.38 Date: 03/20/2009. The BIOS listed on the HP website under Compaq Presario SR5421F with Vista is Version: 5.14 Date: 12-04-2008 ( the company author is not stated). It seems like I may be going backwards if I install this BIOS. Is there anywhere that shows the actual BIOS menus for these different versions

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looks like you have a more current version that what is posted. Don't install the older version. Regardless, when you update a BIOS, you don't uninstall the old one. Not a big deal.

Look in your power settings in your BIOS (current version) for your power/temp settings and any warnings settings to adjust.

Good luck!