Asus m2n68-la motherboard false Error: system fan failed

Hello,
I replaced the Asus motherboard m2n68-la in a Compaq Presario SR5421F Desktop PC. When it power up, an error message appears,"ERROR: system fan failed, service unit press F2 to continue". Pressing F2 then allows the Windows XP to load. The fan which is attached to a heat sink directly to an Athlon X2 dual core processor seems to be running just fine. it si plugged into a 3 pin motherboard header titled CPU fan. I looked at the BIOS settings by Phoenix AwardBIOS but there is nothing than relates to the fan. I note that HP website states that under the Advanced tab in the BIOS there should a Hardware Monitor section that should allow enable and disable settings for various fan/heat sink combinations. But it just isn't there. I cannot find anywhere to upgrade the BIOS software with such a feature.
4 answers Last reply
More about asus m2n68 motherboard false error system failed
  1. Go to this link for the latest BIOS (if you aren't already running it):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3692715#N247

I had to select Vista to find the BIOS, but it should still work, even though you are using XP. Give it a shot and let us know if that helps.
  2. Hey ColGeek,
    Thanks for the info. Your suggestion makes sense since the computer (Compaq Presario SR5421F) originally came with Vista. For your info, I just bought a small 12v 3-pin fan and connected it to the motherboard header titled "Chasis Fan". The chasis fan runs and the ERROR message did go away. I now have a CPU fan and a chasis fan.
    But, I am interested in fixing this at the BIOS level and will try your suggestion. However, I have to read up about the actual steps of removing the existing BIOS and installing the new one. I have not replaced or changed a BIOS before.
    Thanks again for the info.
  3. COLGeek said:
    Go to this link for the latest BIOS (if you aren't already running it):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3692715#N247

I had to select Vista to find the BIOS, but it should still work, even though you are using XP. Give it a shot and let us know if that helps.

I checked the version of BIOS on my machine and it is Phoenix AwardBIOS Rev.: 5.38 Date: 03/20/2009. The BIOS listed on the HP website under Compaq Presario SR5421F with Vista is Version: 5.14 Date: 12-04-2008 ( the company author is not stated). It seems like I may be going backwards if I install this BIOS. Is there anywhere that shows the actual BIOS menus for these different versions
  4. Looks like you have a more current version that what is posted. Don't install the older version. Regardless, when you update a BIOS, you don't uninstall the old one. Not a big deal.

Look in your power settings in your BIOS (current version) for your power/temp settings and any warnings settings to adjust.

Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Fan Motherboards