Questions about possible upgrade.

YOSTBEEF

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,I'm thinking about upgrading my computer and I wanted some insight.I'm mostly concerened about my mobo and if it can handle the upgrades that I'm looking into.

I have a Asus M4A785TD-V EVO,http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fcsXWSxnhzZE9rnR
I would like to get an AMD Phenom II X6 Black edition 3.2 ghz
I have 4gb of G skill RAM and would like to get 4 more
I also want to get a second GTX 470.

From what I understand these upgrades are possible but I would like a more educated perspective,thank you.

Solution
All those upgrades will work. Be sure you have good case cooling for the second video card. If you have any problems after installing the second card for crossfire, check the connections and video driver. 750 watt is minimal for two cards, but the corsair is top rated. For the ram, be sure to get identical ram with the same voltage rating, enable the "memory mapping" setting in the bios (if applicable), and let the bios choose the timings.
All those upgrades will work. Be sure you have good case cooling for the second video card. If you have any problems after installing the second card for crossfire, check the connections and video driver. 750 watt is minimal for two cards, but the corsair is top rated. For the ram, be sure to get identical ram with the same voltage rating, enable the "memory mapping" setting in the bios (if applicable), and let the bios choose the timings.

Solution

YOSTBEEF

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

Thank you I really appreciate your help I haven't been gaming on a PC that long and sometimes need some reassurance.Just to clarify though I'm getting a second Nvidia card,SLI will work fine right?I've read so many different things,I'm going crazy.Again I appreciate your patience and help.

Your board has crossfire, not sli support. Either one will gain perhaps 20-25% faster frame rates while gaming. I personally don't think it's worth it to get the second card, but some hardcore gamers want all the speed they can get, regardless of cost.