Sign in with
Your question

Ticking sound.

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2010 3:58:50 PM

Hi, I moved into a new house about a month ago, I began to notice a ticking sound comming from the back of some of my electronics....... monitor, psu on pc, amplifier on speakers, etc. It was quite worrying at first as I was afraid it would damage the equipment, but it hasn't had any affect so far.

Problem is, i'm afraid to move my new pc out to the house as it is worth more than the rest of my stuff and I would be quite upset if it was damaged. My electricity supply is shared with a farm/milking parlour owned by my landlord. A friend suggested that it might have something to do with the electric fences on the farm, it does seem to tick at the same frequency as the fences(every 3-4 seconds), so this seems like a suitable explanation, maybe a spike or a drain on the supply caused by the fences.

Have any of you guys ever heard of this happening? and if so would it be dangerous?. It might not have anything to do with the fences, just a guess.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.

More about : ticking sound

May 20, 2010 4:13:22 PM

You'll just need to make sure all your electronics are protected by a high quality surge protector. I don't know what else to suggest other than to have the power company come and check it out.
May 20, 2010 5:35:48 PM

My new computer has a high quality psu so it will probably be ok but I think i'll buy a power bar with surge protactor just in case.

Related resources
May 20, 2010 8:35:53 PM

Get a UPC (Uninterruptable Power Supply). They are not very expensive and have a large battery that is used to make sure you are not subjecting your computer to constant brown-outs (midly low voltage drops) that could eventually cause damage to your system.
May 23, 2010 12:15:36 PM

I hadn't realised they existed, i'll try find somewhere that sells them tomorrow, thanks for the info.
!