Exploding graphics card capacitor

Hello,

One week ago, I built a new desktop from all-new parts bought from newegg. Among them, I had the following graphics card:
SAPPHIRE 100283-2L HD5770 1G RT

I think I put it all together correctly, and it was certainly working flawlessly for about 5 days. I was using it last night, and I walked away for five minutes. When I came back, it had shut off. I tried turning it back on after turning off the power. The LED fans lit up for a split second and then nothing at all.

I opened my case, and tried the same thing again. This time there was a small white explosion, a loud crack, and a metal canister (which I have learned is a capacitor) came flying out!

After searching around a bit, I discovered it was a capacitor on my graphics card. Coiled paper was still attached, and was sprung out like a jack-in-the-box.

Basically I'm wondering if this was a flaw in the card, or if it was something wrong that I did in installation. I'm also wondering if it's possible that other parts could be at risk. I'm fairly novice at all this, although I have built computers twice before (so I could have missed something obvious to most people).

Here are some other important specs:
CPU: AMD|PH II X6 1055T 2.8 G
MB: GIGABYTE| GA-890FXA-UD5
Case: Thermaltake VL18501W2Z BK, which comes with an 850W power supply
1 answer Last reply
More about exploding graphics card capacitor
  1. Well first off RMA that GPU.

Whether or not anything else is affect3d you'd have to find out by plugging in a GPU known to work and testing.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards Systems