Windows XP Stuck at Login, but Works as Secondary Drive

JayKayeAre

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,

I have an older desktop computer that is running Windows XP. After I turned off the computer (just a normal shutdown), I turned it back on again to do something I forgot to finish and the computer would not move past the blue screen with the XP logo on it. I couldn't get to my user to log in. I then shut it down and tried to start it in safe mode. IT got to the same screen in safe mode and wouldn't move past it.

I pulled the hard drive out and put it in another computer as the slave drive and it worked fine. All the data was there and accessible. I ran check disk just to be sure and it returned that the drive was fine? I am at a lost at what to do from here. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great!

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
First you need to determine if it's a software problem or a hardware problem. Does it boot up ok when the computer is cold? If so, you've got a thermal issue with the hardware.

When diagnosing XP problems, always use Event Viewer; if you're having software problems, an error log will be recorded in Event Viewer. Sounds like you might have drivers that aren't loading at startup.

You may be able to boot from your XP install CD and do a repair install. Just google "XP repair install". There are plenty of articles on it.

You may want to use a slipstreamed CD/DVD that contains the current service pack level that you are currently running. i.e. If your windows has SP3 installed use a slipstreamed install CD/DVD that contains SP3.