A few questions about HDD's

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
My system is and has been screwed up for a while now. Started out when I tried to run a chkdsk on my hdd's a few months ago it wouldn't complete, the system would crash during the chkdsk and then just sit there forcing me to shut it off then back on again. When I turned it back on it would always go to the chkdsk and then crash again if I didn't cancel it. If I did cancel the chkdsk the system would start up, run normally for the most part then I could reboot it, hot boot it using the hot boot button and shut it off.

Then all of a sudden one day, when I started it up, it went all the way through to main screen without wanting to run chkdsk. System was good for a few months then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago I rebooted the system and it wanted to run chkdsk again, even though I didn't schedule it for a chkdsk? Been that way ever since (I've tried starting from the windows CD and running disk repair, safe mode etc) nothing works.

Long story short, after running the lifeguard app from WD I found out that my C:\ drive is bad and I have to replace it. I tried saving an image of my C:\ drive, but the system won't let me because it's corrupted and I can't fix it?

Questions:

1: Is there any other way to force the PC to run chkdsk so it will rebuild my dats files so I can make a systme image to put on my new HDD?

2: Is there any way to replace my C:\ drive now without losing all my data? I do have a backup on an external drive, but that one is a few months old.

3: Current HDD is WD green 500GB 3.0GBs can I replace that drive with one that is 6.0GBs even though I don't think my MOBO supports a HD that fast?

4: Seems like I have bad luck with WD HDD's, one wants to die on me every couple of years and I don't do much with my PC other than some light MS office stuff, Email, web surfing and game playing (Diablo III is my current game), I was thinking of buying a Seagate 2TB HDD, but their 2TB drive on Newegg is only a 5200rpm HDD and I don't want one that slow?

Can anyone recommend a good low priced 2TB HDD that will slide into my system without much effort?

IS newegg the best place to purchase hardware still? Seems like their prices on HDD's are kind of high, but I'm not sure if that is just the way HDD"s are priced these days? Would be nice if they cost about the same as 8GB of 1033 Ram does!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
1. Not that I'm aware of.
2. Possibly. Once you install a ne HD with the OS, you can re-install the current HD and see what file/folders you can access/copy.
3. Here's one on Amazon. It's a WD, which is a reputable HD, even though you haven't had much luck:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Desktop-WD20EARS/dp/B002ZCXK0I

You can also check TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=139&name=Serial-ATA-Hard-Drive&

Hard drives are expensive these days.

Good luck!

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

I did see a nice 1.5TB HDD over on Tiger(I always forget about that place) Thanks BTW, but it says it's a sata III and 6GBS so I don't think that will work with my Motherboard, the ones I have now are sata II and 3.0GBS.