Sign in with
Your question

Dell e510 with an upgrade CPU - Do i need a new heatsink?

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2010 5:16:54 AM

I have a Dell e510 which i thought was getting underpowered. So i have been planning on building a new rig untill i counted the pennies in my piggie bank :lol: . I now know that i will either need to live with what i have, build a crappy dual core, or upgrade to a Pentium D - 945 63.50$ on geeks. I have decided to go with the 945. My question is:

-The e510 has a really wierd heatsink (Might not have enough power)... Should i get a new one? The PD that i will be getting doesn't come with its own heatsink and I hear the D's run like an oven. So should i get a good heatsink, or will I be OK with the one thats in there.

-Another thing, does ANYONE know how to get that fat heatsink/fan monster out of the case? Its attached so wierdly and so well im afraid i will destroy the mobo getting it out :lol: . And is it the CPU behind that or is it somewhere else? It's so wierdly placed it puzzles me (Which most of the time really doesnt take much :p )

-And are there any success stories on going a little higher on the PD's (960+) or even getting a Core 2 in?? Would love any help!

Thanks Ahead!
a c 131 à CPUs
July 25, 2010 8:12:04 AM

Although the chipset supports up to core 2 duo, the dell site does not officially show compatibility with either the Pentium D 945 or a core 2 duo-based CPU.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE510/

If you want to take a risk, the E3300 would cost $10 less and be miles ahead in performance. It would also be cooler.

An $60+ is waaay overpriced for a pentium D.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 12:18:15 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
I have a Dell e510 which i thought was getting underpowered. So i have been planning on building a new rig untill i counted the pennies in my piggie bank :lol: . I now know that i will either need to live with what i have, build a crappy dual core, or upgrade to a Pentium D - 945 63.50$ on geeks. I have decided to go with the 945. My question is:

-The e510 has a really wierd heatsink (Might not have enough power)... Should i get a new one? The PD that i will be getting doesn't come with its own heatsink and I hear the D's run like an oven. So should i get a good heatsink, or will I be OK with the one thats in there.

-Another thing, does ANYONE know how to get that fat heatsink/fan monster out of the case? Its attached so wierdly and so well im afraid i will destroy the mobo getting it out :lol: . And is it the CPU behind that or is it somewhere else? It's so wierdly placed it puzzles me (Which most of the time really doesnt take much :p )

-And are there any success stories on going a little higher on the PD's (960+) or even getting a Core 2 in??

PD 945 is it, as far as I know, and unless you're currently running a P4 you won't notice much difference.
No C2D would work.
Changinging the heatsink would require some modifications, can be done, but isn't really neccessary.
To remove the stock heatsink you need to loosen the 2 screws on the left side, top and bottom of the plastic shroud, and swing the assembly toward the I/O plate, it can then be lifted off of the pin that holds it down.
No need to worry about power.

As stated before, $60 is overpriced for a PD.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2010 2:11:38 AM

:lol:  im running a P4, and yea i wanted a core 2 duo, but im not getting it with my pc :( . And i dont have enough dough for a new build yet. I might check around ebay..

And will i need another heatsink or will the standard be OK?
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:27:00 AM

I found one on eBay for 35$ and was planning on slapping this stuff on top:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

(It looks like it will last long enough for when i build my build :lol: )

And i looked and people were using the old heatsink with a P-D 925 so i SHOULD be fine, ill watch those temps closely and see what happens! :lol: 
m
l
July 26, 2010 6:31:11 AM

delluser1 said:

No C2D would work.

So i could or couldn't get my self a C2D? lol
m
l
!