Sign in with
Your question

How do I transfer win xp from old hard drive to new hard drive

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2010 6:21:16 PM

Hello,
My hard drive quit. Reinstalled new hard drive will not accept re-installation disc. used old xp disc lost Key code what can I do ihave key to re-install disc but won't work
May 20, 2010 6:35:17 PM

When you say 'It won't work' do you mean that when you get to the portion of the install and try to input the key it says its invalid or that when you try to boot from the cd it complains?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 7:37:28 PM

If your old hard drive is defective, then you are out of luck. However, if your old hard drive is on its last legs (some clicking sounds), then you can try to "clone" your old disk and create a new clone of the old disk.

The software and connectors are available at Apricorn (and other stores). If cloning is an option for you, then consider a new hard disk of greater capacity. Please make sure that you use the same type of hard disk (SATA, PATA).

Here is the link for Apricorn's devices and software:

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?id=1023&type... (for laptops)
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=... (for desktops)

I have personally used both these products, and they work great! Easy to use too!

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 8:31:40 PM

letnom said:
Hello,
My hard drive quit. Reinstalled new hard drive will not accept re-installation disc. used old xp disc lost Key code what can I do ihave key to re-install disc but won't work

This should be no trouble, but I need a lot more info.

First, system specs, along with info on old HD and new HD as well.

What error message did it give with the restore cd?

Tell me about the XP disk your using and the key you attempted to use.
m
l
May 20, 2010 8:39:19 PM

FALC0N said:
This should be no trouble, but I need a lot more info.

First, system specs, along with info on old HD and new HD as well.

What error message did it give with the restore cd?

Tell me about the XP disk your using and the key you attempted to use.

While I respect the spirit behind the offer of the help I would personally advise against sharing your key on a public message board.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 8:49:57 PM

Indecisive_man said:
While I respect the spirit behind the offer of the help I would personally advise against sharing your key on a public message board.

I think hes was trying to ask in an indirect way, are you using a pirated copy of XP and a KEY that was posted online/included w/ the illegal copy of XP.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 9:02:20 PM

If the cloning method is used, the new cloned disk will be exactly like the old one (except for the upgraded GB capacity) and issues regarding the license, key, etc., will be bypassed/ignored.

I am not recommending or supporting non-legal copies of any software.
m
l
May 20, 2010 9:05:43 PM

You guys are reading a lot into simple questions. I ask for more info on his XP install disk and the source of the key he was using and suddenly Im "sharing my key on a public forum" or "asking if he is using a pirated XP".

XP used different sets of cd keys for their install cd's. For example, if thats a retail disk and an OEM key, that is the reason it isn't working. If it was a pirated copy with key, it would have worked.
m
l
May 20, 2010 9:06:57 PM

Ubrales said:
If the cloning method is used, the new cloned disk will be exactly like the old one (except for the upgraded GB capacity) and issues regarding the license, key, etc., will be bypassed/ignored.

I am not recommending or supporting non-legal copies of any software.

This would not be illegal.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 9:32:06 PM

Lets not walk on egg shells guys, relax :) .

Anyway you can't reinstall windows xp with a cd key. Hell I don't even remember if XP did a trial period for the install. I know windows 7 does....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 10:04:11 PM

Let me re-iterate: I am not recommending bypassing any legal issues (or moral issues either, if applicable).
m
l
May 20, 2010 11:14:03 PM

It would appear that my original comment was not well expressed. I did not mean to imply that anyone was pirating or doing anything against the law. My concern was that someone might inadvertently post their windows key on a forum that could theoretically be used by someone unscrupulous.

To Falcon, and Ubrales, I apologize. My intent was not to imply that either of you were up to anything illegal.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2010 11:20:15 PM

No problem buddy - no need to apologize. I dont see any irregularity in your post or comments. Let's try and help this guy out with his hard drive issue.

To put it in a humorous way, "Let's not lose sight of the fact that the original objective is to drain the lake!" (When we are up to our elbows in alligators)
m
l
!