Critique on AMD $800 Gaming/Graphic Design Build

Hi Guys, I've been reviewing the other post on this forum and it has helped a ton. I'm hoping some of you #1 system builders can give me a good critique of my build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Two weeks from now.

BUDGET RANGE: Around $800.00 (I'll be using my current GeForce 9600GT until I can buy a Radeon 5770)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe Flash/Photoshop, Gaming, Flex Builder, WampServer.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com (There's also a Fry's Electronics down the street)

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU

OVERCLOCKING: I would consider it if I can find a good online tutorial and there's no chance I'll melt anything.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Possibly in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I'll temporarily be using my old computers GeForce 9600GT until I can buy a new GPU. I'd like a machine that can easily handle running multiple Adobe applications at the same time AND play games at high graphic settings after work.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Combo Deal Link
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Case - Antec Nine Hundred
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 650W
$295.00

Motherboard - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X ATX
$120.00

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
$110.00

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0/GB
$57.00

Drive - Asus CD/DVD Burner
$26.00

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, OEM
$100.00

Eventually I'd like to get this GPU...

GPU - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VXL Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
$175.00

-----------------------------------

Total without GPU: $708.00
Total with GPU: $883.00

I'd especially like to know if you guys would recommend a different Motherboard or GPU in the same price range.

Thanks for your help!
3 answers Last reply
More about critique gaming graphic design build
  1. You do realize that you've mixed Canadian and US links to Newegg, right? You can't buy from both...

Assuming you're in the US:

Mobo/GPU: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 and HD 5770 $250 after rebates. A more future proof board. I'm also not a fan of the Vapor-X's price and what you get for it. I posted the combo because if you can scrape a little more together (or leave out the HDD and optical for a bit), you can save a bit of money.
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. It's only $15 more than the 500 GB modelwith the promo code.
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
  2. You don't actually need the vapor-x version, the $15 price premium over the standard sapphire 5770 isn't worth it.

MOBO wise, this GA board has USB 3 SATA 6 and support for hexacores processors. Also is cheaper due to free shipping and $15 off with code EMCYSZR45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&cm_re=gigabyte_usb_3-_-13-128-435-_-Product

Also your links are to the newegg canada site.

HD wise, the 1TB F3 is currently $70, only $15 more than the 500.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

edit: gah got beaten by Mad >.<
  3. Hey MadAdmiral! I was hoping you'd be one of the people who responded. You've had solid responses in other posts. I have no idea how that Canada link got in there but thanks for noticing.

That Motherboard/GPU combo looks excellent and I'll keep it mind. If I don't mind eating Ramen noodles for a week I could probably go ahead and get the GPU along with everything else.

Thanks again!

Edit: Banthracis, you were typing while I was typing and gave much the same information as MadAdmiral (who is speedy it seems). Thank you for your advice too.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product