Sandy-bulldozer

codnan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
another question on this subject i am afraid but i have been wondering, as i will be building my pc end of the year (ish) and both sandy bridge and bulldozer are to be rushed out about sept\oct its an obviouse choice to go for one of these but i wanted the most future proof\upgradable option and looking at sandy bridge it seems they are releasing their lower 1155
socket and another (2011) the end of next year.But will AMD do the same thing as in release 2 sockets or will they just release one that will hold all their next (bullodozer) processors?????????????????????????????????

4745454b

Titan
Who says Sep/Oct? Sandy is supposed to be end of the year which might be more like Nov/Dec. Dozer is hoped to be around the same time, but is likely to be later. Sandy is mostly pegged down as to whats known/expected, but there is a lot about dozer that isn't. Its a new arch so we really have no idea how well it will perform. I would be more worried about how they compare to both each other and current chips before worrying about which socket will last longer.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I agree with the above poster, but to answer your question, AMD's sockets will last longer.

Intel integrates a lot more onto their CPUs, and because of that, they have to change the socket more often. Even so, both will last a long time.

Name something, other than the integrated GPU in the i3 for socket 1156 or the fully integrated GPU in socket 1155 that would require a socket change.
AMD got a lot of flack from socket A>>socket 754>>then immediately socket 939>> then socket AM2. So they are a bit more careful now.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
From everything I've read on the subject, it looks like Sandy Bridge will have an integrated GPU on most of its chips. Otherwise, why does all of the info we have point to Sandy Bridge chips not dropping into Socket 1366?

I agree that AMD is a lot more careful with its socket progression now, AM3 chips can drop into AM2+ boards, and Bulldozer is supposed to drop into AM3 as well.

If you have read something or know something that I don't, please point me in that direction.