Raid 0 Setup not recognized by Windows 7 Installer, drivers won't load

BluSkyLightning

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I have created a Raid 0 array consisting of five 250gb 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200 drives. All are identical, and were all pulled from working laptops. They are not brand new, but I had access to them from my work (they were going to be destroyed) so they did have data on them.

I have set my Raid controller on my Mobo to enable Raid, and the drives seem to be able to make a functioning array within the bios Raid setup. They all pair together to make a total of 1249.95 gb array, and it says that it is functioning.

The main problem that I am having is that when I try to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, it does not see the array to be able to load the OS onto it. I have the Mobo CD, and when I navigate to the correct area to install the drivers according to the manual, I get an error message saying that Windows cannot install unsigned drivers, and that it may lead to an unstable system install, the only option being an "OK" button. I have also tried to download the driver from the web, and install it from a USB drive, same thing.

I was thinking, do I need to do a full erase on each of these hard drives to be able to use them for a Raid 0 setup? Am I missing a step in the Raid setup? Any and all help is appreciated.

Raid Setup:
Raid 0
5 identical Seagate Momentus 7200 250gb sata drives
128 stripe
Fast Init Off
Gigabyte Boundary Off

System Specs:
MSI 870a-g54 Mobo
8gb ddr3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4670 1gb GPU
AMD 940 Triple Core Processor
5x Seagate Momentus HDDs
585 Watt Orion PSU

BluSkyLightning

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Yes, the drivers were directly from MSI's website. I have been doing more research, and the problem may lie with the Windows 7 disk that I am using. It has both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows. The person having the same problem said that the 64 bit install would not work, and would not recognize the drivers, but the 32 bit worked just fine. Since I have 8gb of RAM and will need to use it all, I am going to make another Windows installer DVD with only the 64 bit image, hopefully that will provide a solution.

BluSkyLightning

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Out of curiosity, I just tried to install the 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, and low and behold it worked perfectly. It did not ask me to load a driver, although I did have to format the drive before it would work properly, but I knew that going in. So, as of right now I am running a 32 bit OS, but that will change as soon as I get my 64bit DVD up and working. The error I was getting had nothing to do with the array itself, but the install CD that I was using. Huh.

warhammer68m

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Windows 7 will not recognized AMD Stripe Raid 0 in 64 bits mode, you will have to put the motherboard install disk in the drive and load amd drivers for raid/ahci 64 bit, before going further.