PING Gary, kudos on your TR4 savegames!

Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2004 5:23:46 PM

very well done, especially your documenting them as you did!
McG.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:37:18 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> very well done, especially your documenting them as you did!
> McG.

Hey, I just saw this... and it's a month old! <mumbles to
self> (must be getting old... how could I have missed it?)
Sorry for the late reply...

Is this from Stella's site? Thanks. :)  I made that up for
my own records, so I could go back to wherever easily, but
sent it to Stella when she said she needed the set. I did
something like that with the others, but by TRLR I was
starting to getting better at it. ;)

-- G
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 1:25:47 PM

Gary Mitchell wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> very well done, especially your documenting them as you did!
>> McG.
>
> Hey, I just saw this... and it's a month old! <mumbles to
> self> (must be getting old... how could I have missed it?)
> Sorry for the late reply...
>
> Is this from Stella's site? Thanks. :)  I made that up for
> my own records, so I could go back to wherever easily, but
> sent it to Stella when she said she needed the set. I did
> something like that with the others, but by TRLR I was
> starting to getting better at it. ;)
>
> -- G

I was looking up links for someone, saw your name in there along with
Jeff Reid and went "Hey, cool! :) " and checked em out :)  Your writing
them up like that is a lifesaver sometimes!
McG.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:57:58 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> Gary Mitchell wrote:
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> very well done, especially your documenting them as you did!
> >> McG.
> >
> > Hey, I just saw this... and it's a month old! <mumbles to
> > self> (must be getting old... how could I have missed it?)
> > Sorry for the late reply...
> >
> > Is this from Stella's site? Thanks. :)  I made that up for
> > my own records, so I could go back to wherever easily, but
> > sent it to Stella when she said she needed the set. I did
> > something like that with the others, but by TRLR I was
> > starting to getting better at it. ;)
> >
> > -- G
>
> I was looking up links for someone, saw your name in there along with
> Jeff Reid and went "Hey, cool! :) " and checked em out :)  Your writing
> them up like that is a lifesaver sometimes!
> McG.

Indeed, that was an act of survival. ;)  The saves were piling up
and I was starting to have trouble remembering which was which and
exactly where I was. :p  This was my solution. I polished it up a
little bit before sending it to Stella, but not much.

I took notes when playing the Myst series too. The previous time I
took notes in a game was waaaaaay back when playing Adventure. You
almost had to take notes and draw maps in that game, but that was
part of the fun. You should see the map I ended up with... I
eventually had to use a big piece of butcher paper. :)

I think something like that would have been good in TR. As it is,
it's almost never necessary, the game is too linear. The only time
it helps is in some of the mazes. Still, if you're exploring a huge
complex temple, wouldn't you need to keep notes of some kind? I'm
sure they thought that would bog down the game too much and no one
these days would stand for a "thinking" game like that.

-- G
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:33:40 PM

Gary Mitchell wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> Gary Mitchell wrote:

>>> Hey, I just saw this... and it's a month old! <mumbles to
>>> self> (must be getting old... how could I have missed it?)
>>> Sorry for the late reply...
>>>
>>> Is this from Stella's site? Thanks. :)  I made that up for
>>> my own records, so I could go back to wherever easily, but
>>> sent it to Stella when she said she needed the set. I did
>>> something like that with the others, but by TRLR I was
>>> starting to getting better at it. ;)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> I was looking up links for someone, saw your name in there along with
>> Jeff Reid and went "Hey, cool! :) " and checked em out :)  Your
>> writing them up like that is a lifesaver sometimes!
>> McG.
>
> Indeed, that was an act of survival. ;)  The saves were piling up
> and I was starting to have trouble remembering which was which and
> exactly where I was. :p  This was my solution. I polished it up a
> little bit before sending it to Stella, but not much.
>
> I took notes when playing the Myst series too. The previous time I
> took notes in a game was waaaaaay back when playing Adventure. You
> almost had to take notes and draw maps in that game, but that was
> part of the fun. You should see the map I ended up with... I
> eventually had to use a big piece of butcher paper. :)
>
> I think something like that would have been good in TR. As it is,
> it's almost never necessary, the game is too linear. The only time
> it helps is in some of the mazes. Still, if you're exploring a huge
> complex temple, wouldn't you need to keep notes of some kind? I'm
> sure they thought that would bog down the game too much and no one
> these days would stand for a "thinking" game like that.
>
> -- G

No one would stand for a thinking game. You hit it right there. I
hope someone will write one as in a full 3D adventure. You know, what
TR was supposed to be? What it once was....
These days they are games like Beyond Atlantis....Syberia.... sigh
McG.
!