Sign in with
Your question

CPU or Motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2010 8:55:41 AM

Hi,

yesterday I added new ram and after that my pc didn't work again, when I turn it on the fans spin, the LED lights in front work, and the HDD starts up...
but it doesn't send a signal to the screen, when I plug in my screen to the tower the screen shows that there is a signal coming in by dropping the "no signal" warning.

I've tested everything but the Motherboard and CPU, I also tried disconnecting everything but the motherboard from PSU and the Serial cables, and ran off onboard graphics for output, and still it did not turn on. Sometimes if I leave the tower running it turns off all fans and alike after about 20 - 30 sec

For obvious reasons I do not want to disconnect motherboard or CPU to test, I remember there was another way to tell which one had blown but can't remember which one for what :heink: 

any help appreciated

More about : cpu motherboard

July 25, 2010 9:45:26 AM

hmmm.......your psu is damaged.
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2010 11:00:20 AM

Erm, have you tried removing the new RAM and see if it boots then?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 12:44:46 PM

use warrnty
July 26, 2010 9:17:17 AM

I tested the PSU on the other pc of mine that demands more power and it worked fine

and yeah I've tried removing the ram from the motherboard and tested the other ram stick to make sure it's still working

I've Literally checked everything but the motherboard and CPU

thanks for the help so far though
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 11:09:13 AM

Does your mobo LED light up? Since you HDD and other fans start up, could be that your mobo is fine. Your proccy might be fried. PSU maybe blamed for it.

What PSU do you have?

If you can find a compatible proccy, test it out.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 3:06:16 PM

crazyst3ve said:
I tested the PSU on the other pc of mine that demands more power and it worked fine

and yeah I've tried removing the ram from the motherboard and tested the other ram stick to make sure it's still working

I've Literally checked everything but the motherboard and CPU

thanks for the help so far though

Ok, let me get this straight ...

You have a working computer in which you added more RAM and now the computer doesn't work.

You removed the new RAM and now the computer works.

If both of the above statements are true, I see two possibilities.
One. The memory slot where you placed the new RAM is bad. In this case, plug the new RAM into the same socket that you know works with the old RAM.
Two. The freakin' new RAM is bad.
July 26, 2010 3:14:39 PM

jsc....where did you did you see the box works when the ram is taken out?
the pc doesn't work with the new ram in out, i've reverted back to the hardware setup before the ram and still nothing, either my motherboard or cpu has gone, hence the thread name...

I think you right hell_storm, probably is the processor I'll try see if I can get my hands on a compatible one and test it. Thanks
!