CPU upgrade opinion?

wasabi91

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Should i ugrade my Athlon X2 5050e dual 2.6 processor to a Phenom x4 2.6ghz quad core and then overclock it to 3.0? I mostly would be using it for gaming (i dont want to buy a new mobo). But would i see a significant increase in games like oblivion and fallout and gta iv? ( i have a 5770 HD with 4gb ram)

Is this an OEM computer? If it is, then you may not be able to upgrade the CPU. If it isn't check to make sure that your motherboard supports the upgrade first, on the manufacturer's website, as it will show a noticeable improvement, especially in Fallout 3 and GTA IV. What motherboard do you have?

Are you talking about the Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition AM2+ 2.6 GHz or the Phenom II X4 810/910 2.6 GHz AM3? The Phenom II is better than the Phenom series and would be best if motherboard supports the CPUs. If it only supports AM2+ CPUs, then the best option would be the AMD Phenom II X4 940 AM2+.

The key word is significant. Your 5770 is already very good, so I suspect not.
To better assess your options run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.