Sign in with
Your question

Gaming build help 800 USD

Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2010 11:07:59 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 months

BUDGET RANGE: 800 USD (need OS too, and budget is a little flexible)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, university school work, internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or Microcenter (I live in TX and can pick up parts)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA MONTANA

PARTS PREFERENCES: ASUS, MSI, XFX, ANTEC, GIGABYTE, SAPPHIRE, SAMSUNG, WD,

OVERCLOCKING: YES (only up to 400 MHZ on a Rana X3 for example)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: NOPE

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A quieter PC is preferable, also Micro ATX or a small ATX if its a good value and comparable in size to Micro ATX.

I convinced my brother to go AMD for the budget constraints of this build.

I need help with a build for my brother. I want to be able to give him the ability to unlock a 4th core if possible. I know its 50/50 but we would like the option. We already discussed the X3 versus an X4 and he only wants an X3. However, if an additional core can get unlocked then why not? He also wants to overclock up to 400 mhz. He is pretty tech savvy so he can figure it out, but hes been behind on recent developments in hardware availability and price. The core unlocking aspect and overclocking I am not familiar with. That is why I would appreciate any help. I was thinking :

Rana X3 440
790, 880 or 890 MoBo, maybe another type if its a good value.
4 GB G.skill DDR3
Samsung F3 500 gb
ATI 5850

I am not sure about the case, PSU and cooling.

More about : gaming build 800 usd

May 20, 2010 11:54:07 PM

for the psu, just get something like antec earthwatts 500w, should be good enough. for the chipset, go for the 890gx. I personally perfer ASUS, as i have tried gigabyte a few times, one was dead, the other died overclocking in a totally original way, killed the bios without starting dualbios. but my first one works fine, and im using it now, with no problems.
for the cooling, maybe try the cooler master hyper 212+, i have it on a unlocked phenom II x2 550, and its running fine, i think its around 40-50 load(i think) maybe try switching the cpu to the 435, its 5 bucks lesss, and you can overclock the 100mhz back easily, but its your choice.
May 21, 2010 12:40:53 AM

Check out Gigabyte 770T-USB3 ($80 and includes USB3 capability)

Antec Neo Eco 520 is onsale at newegg now for $55 and free shipping.

I have the slightly newer 770TA-UD3 ($95 and includes usb3 and sata 6GB) and have an athon IIx3 435. I can unlock the 4th core and run at 3.2GHz but have chosen to run it with 3 cores at 3.5GHz for better gaming performance.
!