Websites to upload photos ??

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 11, 2004 9:18:45 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).

I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
uploading and storing digital photography.

TIA, Jim

More about : websites upload photos

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:21:18 PM

On 11 Dec 2004 06:18:45 -0800, C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca (glad heart) wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
>I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
>pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
>own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
>uploading and storing digital photography.
>
>TIA, Jim

There are *lots* of photo display sites (Google is your friend).
But *never, never, never* use a web site to store your images. Such
storage is at the whim and economic realities of someone else. If the
decide to not pay their bills for any reason (and remember, over 50%
of all small businesses fail in their first year), you stand to lose
your images.
Always store your own images.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"glad heart" <C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.

Pbase (http://pbase.com) is one of the best. It's fast, and reasonably
priced. The advantage to these types of services is that the photo uploading
and thumbnail generation is very streamlined.

HMc
December 11, 2004 1:58:23 PM

C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca (glad heart) writes:

> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.

Do a Google on it and look through the hundreds of links you will get.

Two suggestions: Read the terms of service and privacy agreement. Some
sites state that you give them rights in your images for advertising their
site and to sell prints of your images to anyone who wants one. (You may
want a site where you can password protect your family pictures to maintain
some privacy for your family members.)

Second, never "store" your digital photos on a Web site and delete your own
copies. It used to be a weekly post here about how to recover images from
some Web site that had gone under with no notice to its customers or one
that had announced it was going out of business, but the only images users
could get to was the displayed image, which was 72dpi and resized and
compressed, and no longer in all the millions of colors of the original.

One other suggestion.* Figure out what you want from the site. DotPhoto,
Ofoto, and others of that ilk want you to buy prints, and they offer prints
and shipping for modest prices, so all your family members can get the
treasured images of their joyous times right off your pages. No videos,
though.

Fotolog and Flickr, conversely, are for displaying images online,
particularly on blogs. No prints. No video clips, though.

SmugMug allows photos and video clips. It's not free, however, but it
provides for fee-based backup of your imagery. You can allow or disallow
the ordering of prints from your collection and password protect any or all
of your sets (gallery, album, whatever it's called on the various services).

Most sites allow a free trial or are free forever or till they change the
terms, whichever may first occur. So try as many as seem interesting, then
pick one or two or three for permanent use. Don't discount the allowance of
video clips, by the way. Most digital still cameras have a provision for
some video, and you often may want to post a short videoclip of something
for friends and family. (Some of our most-viewed pages are video clips of
naked snorkelers, by the way -- who'd have guessed!) Dot Mac accounts allow
video clips, too -- http://www.mac.com/ for more info. It's not free, too.

*There are three kinds of people: those who can count to two, and those who
can't.
December 11, 2004 3:43:35 PM

I deal with Fototime.com I find that at 500 Megs and less than $2 a month.
It's good deal. As well they offer many possibilities to present my photos
in albums, with a good slideshow + effects if I want to. People access it
very easily and are not taunted by "recruiting messages" ;-(
Cheers,
Marcel

"glad heart" <C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.
>
> TIA, Jim
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:04:11 PM

You can try www.webshots.com.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Try Photobucket has a trial period and is pretty easy to use.....
http://photobucket.com

Ray

"glad heart" <C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.
>
> TIA, Jim

---
December 11, 2004 5:56:37 PM

C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca (glad heart) wrote in

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.

MSN actually has specific picture sites available

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous

Howard McCollister wrote:

> Pbase (http://pbase.com) is one of the best. It's fast, and reasonably
> priced. The advantage to these types of services is that the photo uploading
> and thumbnail generation is very streamlined.

Absolutely no advertising or popups either..
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:04:41 AM

Photo.net

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

"glad heart" <C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to digital photography (this is fun).
>
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends. Can anyone suggest links? I know I could build my
> own website on msn for example, but I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading and storing digital photography.
>
> TIA, Jim
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:06:53 AM

C2H5OHeart@yahoo.ca (glad heart) writes:

(1)
> I'd like to upload my photos to a website where I can share vacation
> pixs with friends.

(2)
> I'm looking for sites designed for
> uploading

(3)
> and storing digital photography.

I'll definitely plug my own ourdoings.com for (1) and (2). I don't
recommend any web site for (3). Always keep your own originals.

Some other posters have mentioned other sites as being "streamlined" in
the process of uploading photos. I've looked at quite a few, and none
is as streamlined as ourdoings.com for something like the pile of photos
you have after a vacation.

Your friends will also appreciate how quickly they can scan through your
photos. Most of the sites people recommend on this newsgroup are
designed for showcasing a small number of artistic photos, so they space
them out. When I click on a pbase album, for example, I see three
thumbnails, and the top half of the next row of three.

Your friends are more likely to want to skim quickly through to find
photos interesting to them. The ourdoings.com layout places thumbnails
close together and maximizes use of space. Also, when you click on a
date you can scroll up and down among the 640x480 photos associated with
that date. A lot of sites devote their technological prowess to
recreating the torture of a slide show in digital media. For vacation
pictures your friends will be happier quickly scrolling up and down.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.

you can try http://www.a1netalbum.com. this site has been designed for
photographers who have invested in good digital camera. there is no
restriction on the size of the images. you can upload unlimited photos
and see the slide show in original size and can even resize the slide
show. this site also has full search functions. try it out.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:40:17 PM

you can try a1netalbum.com also.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:40:43 PM

have you tried a1netalbum.com?
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:59:55 PM

have you tried a1netalbum.com?
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:43:29 PM

"Shinu Gupta" <guptashinu@gmail.com> writes:

> what is your opinion about a1netalbum.com -
> http://www.a1netalbum.com

I think I'm going to be really pissed if they don't stop posting
similar articles about 80 times and realize it takes a few minutes for
a new post to hit their news server....

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

t@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:

> I think I'm going to be really pissed if they don't stop posting
> similar articles about 80 times and realize it takes a few minutes for
> a new post to hit their news server....

I assume you've realized by now that this jerkoff _is_ a1net?
December 15, 2004 8:46:27 PM

Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> writes:

> t@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
>
> > I think I'm going to be really pissed if they don't stop posting
> > similar articles about 80 times and realize it takes a few minutes for
> > a new post to hit their news server....
>
> I assume you've realized by now that this jerkoff _is_ a1net?

Oh yeah. It was pretty clear when he kindly posted an audit trail of
him figuring out his newsreader to morph himself into a shill for his
own service.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Shinu Gupta wrote:
> what is your opinion about a1netalbum.com - http://www.a1netalbum.com
A better site is webcityphoto.com
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:20:17 PM

Go to webcityphoto.com and sign up. You can upload all the pics you
want.
January 5, 2005 2:17:24 AM

www.webshots.com is another one.

"webhead123" <wiseinvest@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Shinu Gupta wrote:
> > what is your opinion about a1netalbum.com - http://www.a1netalbum.com
> A better site is webcityphoto.com

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:47:14 AM

On 4 Jan 2005 11:06:52 -0800, "webhead123" <wiseinvest@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Shinu Gupta wrote:
>> what is your opinion about a1netalbum.com - http://www.a1netalbum.com
>A better site is webcityphoto.com

I often check out sites of any interest to myself in various NGs along
with webcity. The photo of the month thingy is a bit ummmm...
(thinking of a polite way to say stupid). ;o)
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:28:12 PM

Another good way to get photos organized is to create a collage from
the pictures. One of the websites which create collages from your
pictures is www. procollage.com. They offer print services but a
little pricey though!

!